News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tag, you're it! #2 (Swell, another Eastwood game)  (Read 106321 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 15, 2003, 04:11:07 PM »

This is just a continuation of the original thread found HERE  Here's the way the game works:

This is an idea I came up with to stir up good Eastwood conversation, and I hope it will also nudge some of our less talkative members to post.  

It's a game of Tag.  I'll start by naming two members and asking them EASTWOOD-related questions.  If they choose to answer the question, they will then be able to "tag" two more members and come up with questions for them to answer. You may not join in the game unless you are tagged.  But, if there's a very interesting question that is asked of someone else that you'd like to answer, by all means start a topic on the board in the appropriate forum.  This game is ALL ABOUT getting Eastwood conversation rolling and learning from each other's differing opinions.

If it's your turn to name two members to ask questions of, please don't ask anything too personal and of course... keep all questions related to Eastwood and his movies.  You may want to IM (Instant Message) whoever you're posting your questions to so that they'll know they were tagged.  And, finally... don't forget to keep checking back yourself!

If you are tagged more than once in the same day, instead of tagging two more members, you should only tag ONE member per question you answer for the remainder of that day.

We have a lot of outstanding questions from the original thread, so if you were asked something there, just copy and paste the question to this thread, answer it and then tag two more members (or one member if you already tagged two today).

Anyone who has already answered questions and owes us "tags", jump in here and get this thread rolling!  :D
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 04:26:54 PM »

I'll post mine, that I never poste from awhile ago.

Lt. Briggs - If you were Eastwood's garbage man, would you go through his garbage?

bdc28 - If you were a car salesman, and Eastwood came to buy a car from you, would you try and screw him over like all car dealers?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 04:35:39 PM »

AKA:  If you were to choose one character from Eastwood's entire film career that reminds you the most of yourself, which character would it be?

After giving this one some more thought, I think I'd like to answer it simply by saying that I don't really think that I identify with any one particular Eastwood character entirely, or that any one character reminds me of myself. For me, I think I'd have to amalgamate a lot of different characters to come up with something that I really identified with. In a way, I think that we enjoy Eastwood and his films because his characters serve to take us outside of ourselves. His characters can often say and do things that we ourselves cannot do, or wouldn't feel comfortable doing in the context of our modern society.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 04:40:43 PM »

Now for my questions :)

Matt : If you were to choose one character from Eastwood's entire film career that reminds you the most of yourself, which character would it be?

Does it look familiar? HEHE..I only ask because I think you could come up with a much better answer than I could, and often times when we ask questions, we have something in the back of our mind as an answer for ourselves, and we're interested to see how other people may answer the same question. I would add a why to that question though because I'd like to know the character, and then I'd like to know the rationale for your identification with that character. Thanks :)

Philo : You're in charge and you've been commissioned by Warner Bros. You want to get Clint to do an audio commentary for one of your favorite of his films. Which film would it be, and what would you say to Clint to try to persuade him of the merits of audio commentary so that he would break his long standing tradition of not providing one? Would you be successful?

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 05:51:30 PM »

After giving this one some more thought, I think I'd like to answer it simply by saying that I don't really think that I identify with any one particular Eastwood character entirely, or that any one character reminds me of myself. For me, I think I'd have to amalgamate a lot of different characters to come up with something that I really identified with. In a way, I think that we enjoy Eastwood and his films because his characters serve to take us outside of ourselves. His characters can often say and do things that we ourselves cannot do, or wouldn't feel comfortable doing in the context of our modern society.

And you thought you answered that enough to tag others???  :D  What a cop-out... you should at least mention a few of the characters that you identify with if you can't narrow it down to one.  And remember, it doesn't have to be a character portrayed by Eastwood, it could be any character from any of his movies.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 05:59:53 PM »

Now for my questions :)

Matt : If you were to choose one character from Eastwood's entire film career that reminds you the most of yourself, which character would it be?

Does it look familiar? HEHE..I only ask because I think you could come up with a much better answer than I could, and often times when we ask questions, we have something in the back of our mind as an answer for ourselves, and we're interested to see how other people may answer the same question. I would add a why to that question though because I'd like to know the character, and then I'd like to know the rationale for your identification with that character. Thanks :)

I wasn't thinking when I posted this last night about myself, I was really tired, and felt like I owed my tags, so I just threw the first questions on the board that I could think of.    

I've always thought I was the most like Bronco Billy McCoy, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.  There's some of him in me, there's some of Robert Kincaid and there's some of Wes Block too.  I'm a combination of the three, at least, that's the closest I could come up to describing myself within the boundaries of Eastwood roles.

I'd enjoy being more like one of the cowboys... maybe "The Good"  :D  But, it just ain't so.  :(

As for why... the most obvious reason would be Billy's loyalty to his friends, his stubborness and pride, and his belief that you can be anything you want to be... you just have to go out and become it.  He believes in people and puts them above anything else in the world.  That's what we have in common.  

I'll come back with tags in a minute.  Gotta find some members who are participating, who haven't been tagged in a while.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 06:21:48 PM »

You're killing me Matt!! Alright, I'll do my best here, but this isn't going to be very good. I apoligize if it's absolute crap. I'm not even going to think about other characters in his films, but I wasn't aware that your original question allowed for characters that Eastwood didn't portray. For your answer to mine, try to limit it to Eastwood characters.

I think in a way I may identify a little with Luther Whitney from Absolute Power, perhaps. If you take away the fact that the guy was a thief, and made his living for many years off the hard work of other people, I think at his core he's really a good person. He feels a sense of guilt for not doing anything to stop the murder, but in reality, he wouldn't have been able to do anything. He would have gotten himself killed as well, and Christy Sullivan still would have gotten shot by the secret service agents. He's thinking about running, but then he decides no, he isn't going to let President Richmond get away with this, and he finds a way to stop him. He sacrifices himself and puts himself in harm's way in the interests of justice. He isn't a selfish character. Even though he's a private citizen, he has a real sense of justice and desires to do the right thing. He's really a very moral person.

He's the little guy, but he finds a way to go up against these very powerful and corrupt politicians, and to do what's right. He doesn't just go in there with guns blazing, he's a very intellectual and insightful character. He maps out what he's going to do, and then he goes ahead and does it. He doesn't just overpower them, he out thinks them.

When his family is in danger, and even though he had made certain mistakes in the past, he comes to their aid and really he actively pursues a better relationship with his daughter. Family was always important to him, but he just didn't let other people see that. He had all of those pictures of Kate, and would go to her refrigerator and buy her food, and look into her apartment to see how she was doing, even though she didn't know it. There's a real sense of love there, and when she was in danger, he really cared and he tried to do whatever he could to protect her. I like to think of myself as a person who is very family oriented, and who really cares about my family, and if there's anything that I can do, I usually want to help. I want my family to know that I'm there for them, and that they can feel comfortable coming to me with anything that may be on their mind. I'm always here to support them and I want to feel that even though in some cases, we're separated by oceans and thousands of miles, that the relationship is very important to me, and so I put a lot of thought and strength into the bonds of the family relationships, and I think that although it doesn't become clear to Kate until later on in life, Luther does too.

His sense of justice, his desire to do the right thing even though in the past he may have consistently done something else, his kindness, his compassion, his intellectual nature, and his ability to, in his own way, right the wrongs of the past and try to move forward, both in his inability to save Christy Sullivan, and in his own family life, I admire these qualities. I would like to think that I identify with Luther Whitney, because I do see some of these qualities in myself, and even if I don't completely possess them or use them to my full advantage, I'd like to, and I think the goal is something worth pursuing. Luther did too.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 06:59:31 PM »

Matt, it's plain that the only Eastwood character that AKA resembles AT ALL is John Wilson from White Hunter, Black Heart.  ;)

Why? None of the others TALKS nearly enough!  :o  ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 07:02:13 PM »

Tag time!  ;D

Christopher:  If you could live the life of any of Eastwood's film characters, which one would you want to be?

Red:
 Which of Eastwood's film girlfriends would you most like to date... not the actress, but the character as shown in the film.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 07:17:43 PM »

Originally posted by Christopher:
DAmbrosia: What actor would you like to see teamed up with Clint in a movie that he hasn't already worked with?

If Eastwood could have traveled back in time one of the actors that I would have loved to see him work with is of Humphrey Bogart.  He would have made a good sidekick along  Clint in something like City Heat.  Clint and Bogie would have made for some real entertaining cinema.  A modern day actor I would have liked to have seen Clint work with is Jack Nicholson in something like The Two Jakes.  It’s to bad that there aren’t really any movies today that get together all of the cinema icons in one picture.  Movies like Tora! Tora! Tora! and Midway back in the 70’s were good examples.  The title sequence to A Bridge To Far is an incredible credit roll.  I’ve never seen a movie that has one screen giant after another like that one… James Caan, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Ryan O’Neal, Robert Redford, Maximilian Schell.  It would have been cool to See Clint in something like that with those actors…

Originally posted by mgk:

D'Amb:   If you were "it" and playing "15 Questions" in the Trivia Section and Clint was playing along with us, what clue would you be looking for in hopes that you could stump Clint (as well as the rest of us)?

If I were playing 15 questions with Clint and tried to stump him I’d have to pick something arbitrary like his squint.  Something he always possess and uses rarely but when used says a thousand words.  Of course he uses that in more than one movie so it wouldn’t be really fair.  But you did say try and stump right?

Anyway let me think up some questions…
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 08:30:47 PM »

Matt, it's plain that the only Eastwood character that AKA resembles AT ALL is John Wilson from White Hunter, Black Heart.  ;)

Why? None of the others TALKS nearly enough!  :o  ;D

Hey guys! That's not fair!! I put a lot of thought into the answer to that one! You didn't like my answer, KC!!?? Sorry if you didn't want any thought to be put into the question.  ::) What do you think, Matt? You were the one that asked the question :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 08:36:50 PM by AKA23 » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2003, 09:17:49 PM »

Oh, AKA! I was just kidding! I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings! I know you put a lot of thought into your answer. But you shouldn't feel bad about being compared to Wilson ... he's one of Clint's best characters, isn't he? And, maybe he talks a lot ... but only because he has a lot to say! ;)  :)  ;)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2003, 07:57:54 AM »

AKA ,
          you are killing me with that question   :o  I am going to spend the afternoon working and thinking about that one.

Here in the meantime are my tags :

KC

Clint has made a right/wrong move to bring back Philo Beddoe for a third "which way" project. He has insisted that you are the person for the screenplay and wants a five line premise to show the head of the studio. How would you bring everyone back and approach this most difficult task?

The Stranger

Clint is coming to television centre , would you dare knock on his dressing room door , and if so how would you introduce yourself? (make it good because I would be right behind you ;) )

Matt

Which Eastwood trailer has most made you think wow!

AKA

A group of us from the web board are going to stay at the mission ranch , we persuade you to contact ahead to try and arrange a hello between us and Mr Eastwood. How would you convey the importance of this and to whom?

Red

What is best ever UK Clint Eastwood film poster and why?

MGK

You have unlimited money , what is the one Eastwod item you just have to have?

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2003, 11:39:09 AM »

:)
MGK
You have unlimited money , what is the one Eastwod item you just have to have?

Philo, I certainly like the idea of having unlimited money. If I did have unlimited money and had the opportunity to buy any Eastwood item that I wanted, I think I would want that bronze statue of Eastwood that I have seen on one of the documentary films I have on him...it's sitting behind him just over his shoulder.  It's really unique and that would be a nice addition.

Palm:  I know that The Bridges of Madison County is your favorite Eastwood movie, but what would be your second favorite Eastwood movie?

Lilly: You have the privilege to be the casting director on any film Eastwood has done.  Which actor would you MOST like to replace...one that you didn't think was suited for his/her role...and who would you replace him/her with?
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2003, 12:27:07 PM »

AKA

A group of us from the web board are going to stay at the mission ranch , we persuade you to contact ahead to try and arrange a hello between us and Mr Eastwood. How would you convey the importance of this and to whom?

Gee, Philo, thanks a lot for giving me the toughest assignment in history! HEHE..I'm not sure that I have the skills necessary to really be up to this amazing challenge, but I suppose that after the question I asked you, it would only be fair to try and ask me a similar one that further reaches into the realms of impossibility.  

I think I'd want to first talk to one of the people that works in the restaurant or hotel, one of the lower level people who may be able to give me some kind of information as to who to go to next, or even where Mr. Eastwood may frequent so we'd have a better shot of arranging that hello. Then, I think I'd want to talk to one of the managers and I'd try to explain that a small group of us have flown in from different parts of the country to stay at the Mission Ranch, and that we are very dedicated members of the best Clint Eastwood site on the web, and that we know that Mr. Eastwood is aware of the site. Then, I think I'd politely ask if it would be possible, as we have made all of this effort to come to Mission Ranch, if the manager or someone could give us an idea when Mr. Eastwood would be in the area, and if we couldn't arrange a specific meeting, if we could at least know where he would be at some particular time, so that we could try to approach him and just say hello to him ourselves. If a specific meeting is what you're looking for, I'd try to ask if it would be possible to have a minute or two of his time just so that we all could say hello and that we wouldn't bother Mr. Eastwood or take up too much of his time, but that the experience of just being able to meet him and say that we were in the same place as Clint Eastwood and that we were able to just get a "hello" and say good evening or something, would be a great life ambition. Then, I'd thank the manager for his time and consideration, and that's it. There's not much else that you can say!

Unless I'm going to make up this elaborate story that I have this great movie idea for Mr. Eastwood and that he'd be perfect for it and that I wanted a minute of his time to give him the script, or that I had a message from Warner Bros, an urgent message for Mr. Eastwood, and that it couldn't wait,  but see, I wouldn't be the person to ask for that job, because I'm just not good at all that dishonesty and covering up the truth to achieve your desired aims deal. So, you'd have to give the job to someone else if that's what you were looking for! :) Besides, I think sincerity would probably work better anyway!  
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2003, 02:19:12 PM »

A couple of tags...

Nightwing:
I you were blondy in GBU would you shoot Tuco in the end and take the gold?

Matt:
If Eastwood was comming over to hang out which Eastwood movie would you guys watch?

KC:
If Eastwood were comming to New York to visit you what restaurant would you take him to?

Blu:
If you had to write a script in which Harry is killed how would he meet his demise...

I think I'm caught up know... whew...

BTW Nightwing:
If you were Clint's garbage man would you go though his garbage...?
LOL---Ha,Ha,Ha--Cracking up big time
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 02:12:18 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2003, 02:25:34 PM »

A couple of tags...

Nightwing:
If you were blondy in GBU would you shoot Tuco in the end and take the gold?

No. I would maybe take more gold then I should, but I wouldnt shoot him. I wouldnt have shot him down though. I wouldve left him hanging up. He can find his own way down.

D'Ambrosia - If you were Eastwood's garbage collector, would you go through his garbage?

Conan - Do you think you could out run Eastwood?
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2003, 05:56:08 PM »

Conan - Do you think you could out run Eastwood?

Assuming you mean on foot...I'm in pretty good aerobic and anaerobic shape.  Eastwood is obviously in top condition for his age, and there is of course almost half a century in age difference.  I believe that Clint has tremendous lower body strength and I also believe he knows proper running form/stride for both sprinting and long distance.  If we raced a hundred yard dash, and Clint was having a good day, he could take me.  Especially if he psyches me out - which is very possible considering he's one of a select few idols of mine.  Beyond a 100, I'd take him due to age-related stamina.
  Even though I stunk something awful, I did run track in HS.  The only time I placed first was when the rest of the runners didn't know where the real finish line was; it was poorly marked and I knew this in advance :)
  I think my response to this was overlong and too serious :)

D'Ambrosia You and Clint are going to the range, which gun from any of his westerns (No Dirty Harrys) do you ask him to bring?

Nightwing Clint is planning "Dirty Harry:  Reloaded" and wants you to come up with a tagline or catch phrase, what is it?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2003, 05:56:43 PM by Conan » Logged

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2003, 06:11:16 PM »

Matt:
If Eastwood was comming over to hang out which Eastwood movie would you guys watch?

Whatever movie he wanted to!  :D  What's that, Clint?  You want to watch Paint Your Wagon?  Sure, you bet!   ;D

I think it would be just too cool to watch Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood.  That would be the best choice, but on the other hand, he might be tired of that one... do ya think? ;)   Maybe he'd rather watch one of the films he directed, and if so, then I'd probably enjoy watching White Hunter, Black Heart with him the most.  There'd be an awful lot to talk to him about the filming of that movie, and it's also a pure pleasure to watch.  If I was really good friends with Clint, maybe we could get drunk and watch Every Which Way But Loose and make fun of Sondra's singing.  ;D

So, to answer the question, if he didn't care what we'd watch, it would have to be Dirty Harry, with WHBH as a backup.  :)

TAGGING.............   MGK!  ;D

If you were really caught in these situations, which would be the most difficult to get through?  Being on Bronco Billy's Wheel of Fortune and having knives thrown at you.... or trying to do leg presses at the gym while Wes Block did dips off the bar right behind you while looking down at you?  (I'm sure you love me for that one ;) )    ;D

Philo:  I'm going to answer this one of yours next, but I know you're the man that knows the trailers best, so I'd like to hear your answer to the same question:  Which Eastwood trailer has most made you think "wow!"

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2003, 06:15:41 PM »

The only time I placed first was when the rest of the runners didn't know where the real finish line was; it was poorly marked and I knew this in advance :)

Nightwing Clint is planning "Dirty Harry:  Reloaded" and wants you to come up with a tagline or catch phrase, what is it?

You ass. Do ever think back on that moment and regret it? You cheater. ;D 8) :P

Anyway, to you question, first of all, I'd laugh at him and tell thats quite the pathetic name for a Dirty Harry movie. I'd probably call it, 'Dirty Harry: Episode 6: Attacks of the Ralien Non-existent Baby Clones." Just kidding.

Tag line huh? Hmmm...

'Lock and load... he's back.'

'Go ahead, make his day.'

'The man, the myth, the legend... Dirty Harry has returned.'

'Dirty Harry is back, and is looking for justice... the Dirty Harry way.'

Thats all I can think of.

Hemlock - Who would you re-cast in any Eastwood DIRECTED movie and why?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T