News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tag, you're it! #2 (Swell, another Eastwood game)  (Read 105648 times)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2003, 12:15:52 AM »

:) One for Smith&Wesson44...Welcome aboard!  :D
I read your post about character continuity in Dirty Harry films, so I'd like to know who you think is the best character from those films, other than Harry, and why ("best" for whatever reason you like - your personal favourite, best actor/actress, or most interesting character)?
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #221 on: January 24, 2003, 12:20:42 AM »

Wow - what a thread we have going here. Sorry I havent been able to reply and spend nearly as much time as I would like to here but I've never been so busy in my life. Ya I know, excuses, excuses... Anyway, if it is not too late, I'll give this a try:

Cal~Under what circumstances were you able to meet Clint Eastwood?

The first time I met Clint was in the fall of 1995. My then girlfriend(now wife) and another couple took a weekend trip down to Carmel and we decided to have dinner at The Mission Ranch (back then, it wasnt nearly as popular as it is now). Anyway we were having dinner and the couple was joking about how funny it would be if Clint walked in, knowing I was a huge fan.  Not 10 minutes later, my girlfriend's jaw dropped opened and she said 'Oh my god, Clint Eastwood is walking in!'  She was across the table from me facing the door. I was thinking - yeah right. Not gonna fall for that. Well -surprise surprise! It was great. He ate dinner there and afterwards we approached him outside and talked for a while and took a photo. Very cool guy. Very cool trip. Once in a lifetime experience. This was pre-Web and 6 months before I started this site. I guess that was the inspiration :)

CAL: If you've told the story over the years, forgive me, I must have forgotten the details, but what was it - as specifically as possible if you can express it - that made you want to devote such an elaborate site to Eastwood? Was there one event or movie or some other site you ran across on the net that pushed you into action?

After the Clint trip in 1995, it was early 1996 when I bought a brand new 486 PC with a 14.4 modem. Whohoo!! I've always been sort of computer geek and I wanted to see what this thing they called 'the internet' was all about, namely surfing the WWW with Mosiac (remember that browser?) Anyway once i got on I was hooked and i had to learn everything I could about the Web. So of course I had to build a Web page  :D Rather than build "Cal's Homepage" (boooring  :o ) I focused on something that would keep my attention while I was discovering HTML, Javascript and Photoshop, that of course was Clint Eastwood. The next thing I know, the site starts growing and getting bigger and more people are starting to notice it. Wow - this is cool, i thought. Meanwhile I'm learning more and more about Web developing, thus the site gets bigger and hopefully better and so on and so on. Then I get the call. It's WB. They like the site  and want to help out in anyway and do. Lots of conversations with those great folks, lots a great material and again the site gets bigger and hopefully better. E-mail is pouring in (and still does). People are really enjoying the site now and all the comments and personal messages over the years have been unbelievably heartwarming. The site sort of takes on a life of its own. I start getting kicked off servers becasue the site is getting too many hits so I find myslef fighting to keep it online. WB gives me a choice --they will take it over but I eill loose some of my control and  content, or continue onward myself with limited support, I choose the latter. (Thank you WB fo giving me that choice!) Anyway, I could go on and on about what this 'experience' has been to me both personally and professionaly but I don't want to snore ya! It's been fun, I continue to enjoy it and my only hope is that it's a worthy enough Web site to be associated with The Man With No Name  ;D

Lets see I guess I should ask a question now, before I fall asleep at the keyboard, right? I hope I dont repeat any ones questions but here goes...

KC - You've been around on this board for as long as I can remember, probably ever since I put it up. What keeps you here doing what you do (and will you promiss to keep doing it  ;D ) ?  

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2003, 12:34:53 AM »

:D Wow Cal!  That's SO cool!  I think what you've done is amazing, you must be so proud.  Thank you!  :)  So here is another one of the three tags I still owe:
Cal: You said
The first time I met Clint was in the fall of 1995
does that mean you met him again (sorry if you've already documented this elsewhere)?  I'd like to know how/where, was it associated with your work on this site?  Sorry to tag you when you're busy - just take your time.  

Matt, I liked your answer above.  The GBU score is classic, and I love "Why should I care" too.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2003, 12:37:19 AM »

It's been fun, I continue to enjoy it and my only hope is that it's a worthy enough Web site to be associated with The Man With No Name  ;D

It is, Cal!  It's the best, most professional site I've seen on the 'net and far better than even the best "official sites".   Thanks for giving The Man's fans this great site, and this message board where we've met so many great people.  This site, and the people who post here are the best.  I'm thrilled to be a part of it. :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2003, 12:58:15 AM »

Matt: You've been selected to supervise the release of a new deluxe special-edition Eastwood DVD. What film do you choose, and what special features do you include?

I almost missed this one.  First of all, thanks MC for that great answer to the question I tagged you with.  

Hard question for me, because I have no clue what special features are available to the films that COULD be included.  I'll try to answer the question without that information.  Philo and Stranger can get a good laugh from this.  ;) ;D

Rather than re-release a film that's already out on DVD, I'd choose from the films that we don't have yet.  The three I want the most are Honkytonk Man, Tightrope and White Hunter, Black Heart.  I'm gonna opt for White Hunter, Black Heart because I think we could maybe get more interesting extras.  Here's a list... (don't laugh TOO hard, those in the know)

1.  Clint won't do a commentary, so I'll be realistic and try to have someone else do it.   Maybe Peter Viertel could, or if not, maybe he could just do an interview discussing a little about his experiences working with Huston and Eastwood.   Anjelica Huston has worked with Clint, maybe she would like to do a little interview about her father and Clint.

2.  The trailer... I've never seen it.

3.  A little 5-10 minute thing on the people or tribes in Zimbabwe that were shown in the film.  I heard they kicked @ss for real in that soccer game.   Maybe show a little more of the locations and discuss the rigors of filming there.   (Hey, I'm really trying to think of extras... what do I know?  ??? )

4.  Maybe some deleted scenes, I don't know what they are, but hey... it's a special edition, so pile it on.

Is that enough?  Personally, I'd be thrilled just to have the film itself on DVD in widescreen format.  Hope we get it this year.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2003, 01:34:14 AM »

Just want to say that I liked and agree with your answer to my question, Doug:
One last acting role...  I think I'd like to see him in a non-genre movie actually, one that allows him to give a broad performance, and who knows, maybe get another acting nomination.  He's shown he can do the complicated, troubled artist (Honkeytonk Man, White Hunter Black Heart) so maybe he could be play the aging pianist, dealing with ...  Well, something like that.  Or else maybe a suspense movie, the way suspense movies used to be made.  He could be that aging pianist in Europe, and he sees a man murder someone and now he's being stalked by the murderer...  But something clever, well-written, with good depth... something marketed as a drama with the suspense as only part of the story.  It could even have a finale where Clint can be Clint ... for one last time.
I haven't forgotten your tag, but I've got to go to uni now, so I'll get back later...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2003, 01:55:42 AM »

Looks like I owe FIVE tags.  I'll get to them.  First, we've got some great answers to some great questions in this thread.  If anyone wants to take one of those posts and start a topic so that we can further discuss the subject and get more people's input, please go ahead and copy the post to a new topic.

Here's my tags:  (It's almost 4:00 AM here and I have to get up at 7:00.  I want to tag so y'all can keep busy tomorrow, but I can't take too long to get good questions.  Sorry if these aren't that interesting)

BDC:    What's your favorite quote spoken by Eastwood?

GANT:     If you could own the same make and model of any of Eastwood's vehicles from the movies, which would you choose?  (I remember you loved the Dirty Harry car, don't know if that's your favorite).

STRANGER:  What's your favorite scene in all Eastwood?

PHILO:  Which character (not actress) from any of Eastwood's films would you most like to date?

AKA:  In all these posts, I can't recall ever knowing this... what film was the big clincher that made you an Eastwood fan?  Was it the first one you saw, or did it take a couple for you to really go "wow"?

I'm off to bed!  G'night everyone.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2003, 02:35:36 AM »

This is part of the reason that I haven't seen Unforgiven yet - I know!  :o  ::)  I have been putting that off to enjoy it, but I've kind of given up doing that now because being on the board I keep finding out things about movies that I'd rather not have known before watching them.  So now I'm just gonna try and watch everything soon, but then it'll be a shame to have no new movies to look forward to :(.  Having said that, I find that a lot get better with watching.

I know how it is with delaying the moment, but I hope you aren't let down after all the hype.  The thing to do is watch it, then no matter what you feel about it, watch it again back-to-back.  What a great movie!  And you're right some movies only get better with repeated viewings, so you always have that to look forward to.  It took me several viewings of Pale Rider before I saw the power of that movie.  

Here's my tags:  (It's almost 4:00 AM here and I have to get up at 7:00....  

Okay, who will take the first turn at taking in Matt when he's fired for excessive tardiness because of the Clint board? ;D  And yes, Matt, those were great thoughts on A Perfect World.

KC's tag:
Doug: What is your favorite "moment of silence" (as opposed to a line of dialogue) in an Eastwood film?

Wow, what a simplistically great question!  It's kind of like asking, "what was your favorite Bruce Lee punch..."  Clint has used silence better than any other actor, and I think I'd have to watch all his films in a row looking for just how he uses silence to really give the best answer.  However, I think I do have an answer, but it's getting late here too (1:28 pacific time), so I think I'll answer tomorrow, after I've had a chance to review the scene I'm thinking of.  I'd actually intended to answer now, but it's gotten later than I realized and I still need to review the scene.  And it just happens to be from a movie I've been thinking of buying on dvd...hmm...  

Back tomorrow.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Smith&Wesson44

All this for a friggin car...

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2003, 02:55:48 AM »

:) One for Smith&Wesson44...Welcome aboard!  :D
I read your post about character continuity in Dirty Harry films, so I'd like to know who you think is the best character from those films, other than Harry, and why ("best" for whatever reason you like - your personal favourite, best actor/actress, or most interesting character)?

Oh, let's see how philosophical this is for you... ;D
I hope this is a good answer for you.

My favorite "character" in all the DH films is...

The Smith & Wesson Classic Model 29 .44 Magnum.  The blue steel, 8 3/8 inch barrel work of art.

Yes , it is an inanimate object, but I can't think of a more powerful object of symbolism in any film of the genre.   I look at the gun as a character.   Think of what it represents:  power.

The power of Harry over the criminal.  The .44 is where the power lies, it's the great equalizer.  When the bad guy is staring straight down the business end of the cannon, he knows that his days as a criminal are over, one way or the other, with him either in a jail cell or a body bag.  The .44 represents what I, the ordinary citizen, can only wish to do what Harry does.  Protect the innocent and run the hoods out of town.  To quote a line from Sudden Impact, "It's the one constant in an ever changing universe."  It's always there, always ready, to put the thugs down.

Now my questions:
Lilly:  What (or who) first turned you on to Eastwood films?

Matt:  You are a cop in the Dirty Harry universe.  You are assigned to be his new partner.  How long will you live? ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 03:07:44 AM by Smith&Wesson44 » Logged

"It's for the penetration"
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2003, 03:55:22 AM »

Doug asked :):
Which Clint movie have you seen that surprised you the most, in terms of being better than you'd expected?

I know this sounds stupid but it must have been Pink Caddy! :-[

I normally hve very high expectations of a new Eastwood movie and I have sometimes been dissappointed, but when this went straight to video in the UK I really feared the worst!

When I finally saw it, I thought it was an okay thriller-comedy with some very good individual scenes and Clint and Bernadette gave convincing, even touching, performances.

I'm not saying it is great, just that it was surprisingly good for a film not judged good enough for cinema release.  It is still the only Eastwood film to be treated in this way.

It goes too silly at the end and doesn't hang together  well as a whole, but it is entertaining and better than some of the films that I saw full of high hopes - City Heat, Heartbreak Ridge, The Rookie...

Daisy Girl!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2003, 06:18:36 AM »

Cal ,

Matt said :

This site, and the people who post here are the best.  I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

I'm just saying that I couldn't agree more.

Great story , great site and this is indeed a great thread.

Philo .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 06:22:41 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2003, 06:22:05 AM »

Matt ,

Good choices of extras on White Hunter .
Just to let you know there are 2 trailers that I have come across . One from the US and one from here. they are almost the same except the UK version has an image freeze and then some Uk newspaper quotes . Like most Eastwood trailers it is good .

Philo .  

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Aline

Email
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2003, 08:04:36 AM »

Conan asked
Aline Your buying a gift for Clint's birthday, he loves gifts that are somehow related to his films.  What do you choose?

Conan,If I could give a gift to Clint wouldn't be a gun or a sunglasses or a poncho... he must have many of those things already.I think I'd give a painting I made,a script with an idea about a movie story and a video tape with some comments( things that only he may hear).
That is what I'd give to him  :)

I've to formulate six tags.It isn't easy, there are so many questions made already...I wouldn't like ask similar questions.So,only two, for now.

KC

I may be wrong and I really don't know much about Kyle_Clint's son_ but  although some physical resemblance between them I think Kyle hasn't not even half of Clint's striking presence.I mean,it is not always, star's sons inherit the talent their fathers.I know he isn't actor but "comparing" him to Clint, what your impressions about Kyle Eastwood?

Daisy

Would you do some "craziness" to call Clint attention? (nothing aggressive,of course).What it would be?
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2003, 09:01:41 AM »

MC: On the old Board, you posted an interview with David Webb Peoples about Unforgiven. Do you think this is the best script Eastwood has ever worked from, and if not, what is?

I would have to say yes, Unforgiven is the best script Eastwood has ever worked from. Peoples takes a potentially tired genre and completely reinvigorates it by exploding old myths and exploring new questions. Some people believe that the English Bob portion of the film is extraneous, but I completely disagree. In fact, every scene -- and literally every line of dialogue --- seems perfectly written to me.

I'd like to see Eastwood and Peoples work together again. Maybe Eastwood could commission Peoples to write a screenplay for him...

A close second in my book would be John Lee Hancock's superb A Perfect World screenplay. Like Peoples, he takes a tired genre (road movie/chase movie) and digs much deeper.

Of course, Eastwood deserves credit for not commercializing the bold scripts these authors wrote, and for doing them justice on the big screen by adding his own deft flourishes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 07:38:00 PM by KC » Logged
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2003, 09:05:22 AM »

And now for my tags:

KC: Spike Lee, in criticizing Bird, argued that the film failed to place Charlie Parker's life in an African American context, since the two closest figures to him in the film are both white (Chan and Red). Do you agree or disagree, and why?

Matt: In the powerful climactic scene in White Hunter, a four-word phrase is spoken and then repeated: "White hunter, black heart. White hunter, black heart." It's at once simple and completely ambiguous. What do you think is the meaning of this phrase in the context of this scene and the film as a whole?
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2003, 11:41:31 AM »

:)
From Doug to mgk  If Steven Spielberg had directed The Bridges of Madison County, what do you think the biggest difference in his version of the movie would have been?

Are these questions getting harder or is it just me? ;)  Since I haven't read as much about Spielberg's approach to directing, I'm going to have to guess here based on the many Spielberg movies I have watched and compare them to the Eastwood movies I have "somewhat" studied.  The first thing that comes to mind is that I don't think Spielberg would have filmed in as much darkness as Eastwood seems to enjoy using. Spielberg seems to prefer crystal clear images whereas Eastwood prefers more of a cloud of mystery over them.

One other thing that I can think of is that Spielberg may want to have more input into how each actor portrays his or her character.  He may have a particular vision of how that character would be in each and every scene.  Eastwood prefers to allow each actor to bring his or her own perception of the character to work each day.

Since both Spielberg and Eastwood collaborated with the script for quite some time, I doubt the story would have changed any.  Speilberg may have toned down some of the romantic scenes but please remember that I'm guessing here.  The story would have been the same but I think the "feel" of the movie would have been different.

I'm assuming you meant for Eastwood to still be playing Robert Kincaid.  If so, then the distinctions I have made above may have become a blur.  Both men respect each other and, therefore, would have adopted ideas from the other.

From Lilly to mgk:
I know you have your own answer for the question you asked me, so I'd like to know which Eastwood movie you think has the most beautiful scenery.  

Yes, you are right...I do have an Eastwood movie that I love the scenery in.  There are many because Eastwood prefers to film in the Fall of the year but the one I like the most is Unforgiven because of the many contrasts in the seasons and the images.  Here are a few of the reasons why this is my choice:

Tagging...

KC: The appropriate age for young people to view an Eastwood movie has come up before.  So, let me ask you the same question you asked of me.  What age do you think is appropriate for someone to view Unforgiven and be able to grasp the full understanding?  Do you think younger than 17 or 18 year olds can understand it or do you think someone should be even older?

Agent: Why do you think James Fargo, Director of The Enforcer, had Ms. Gray of the Mayor's staff be so excessively prim and proper?

AKA: Have you now been able to view all of Eastwood's films or are there still some you haven't seen?

mgk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2003, 12:03:01 PM by mgk » Logged
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2003, 01:12:45 PM »

Would you do some "craziness" to call Clint attention? (nothing aggressive,of course).What it would be?

I really do not know what you mean!  ???

Are you suggesting I'm the sort of girl who would use a dubious trick in order to get noticed? :-[

Of course not.  I'd be cool, restrained, sophisticated.

I'd just sit in the corner quietly massaging Newcastle Brown Ale into my long blonde hair...  With my feet!

:o ;D

Daisy Girl!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2003, 01:20:48 PM »

In answer to Matt's question.... Which vehicle from an Eastwood film would I most like to own....

Mmmm A bit of a tough one here. Assuming I can't have the Firefox.... I would be tempted by those Chevy trucks Eastwood favours in the Every/Any Which Way and Bridges of Madison County movies. Plenty of room in back for my drums.

Then again I did like Harry's car. I've forgotten what it was but I remember someone did post some pics and it was way cool....

Nope.. I'm gonna settle for that big white Caddy from Thunderbolt and Lightfoot... My kinda wheels...

Right... my tag. Theres been a lot of intelligent, informed, educational opinions expressed in this tag game, so let me add to that.

AKA23  You have to sport one hairstyle as worn by Clint from one of his movies. Whats it gonna be.. The long and wavy look from Misty.. or maybe the brutal flat top from Heartbreak Ridge....Whaddya reckon. ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2003, 02:19:45 PM »

Agent: Why do you think James Fargo, Director of The Enforcer, had Ms. Gray of the Mayor's staff be so excessively prim and proper?
Hmmm…maybe because she reminded him of his mother-in-law? Another wild guess, but maybe they were trying to depict her as a “Pauline Kael” figure, and that was Fargo’s way of giving her what was due. Other than that, I honestly don’t know the real reason.

Okay, back at ya:

mgk: If you were chosen back in 1971 to play one of the following characters in The Beguiled, which one would you have picked: Martha Farnsworth (Headmistress), Edwina Dabney (instructor), or Carol (the flirt)? *And for bonus points, which scene would have been the most difficult to play?

vik:[/b] Out of all the Eastwood movies you own, which one have you viewed the most?

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2003, 02:52:10 PM »

:)
From Agent to mgk:
If you were chosen back in 1971 to play one of the following characters in The Beguiled, which one would you have picked: Martha Farnsworth (Headmistress), Edwina Dabney (instructor), or Carol (the flirt)? *And for bonus points, which scene would have been the most difficult to play?

Decisions, decisions!!  It would have been tempting to want to play Carol...that one would have been fun.  However, being the hopeless romantic that I am, I think I would have wanted to play Edwina because she loved McB and he actually loved her (even though he didn't realize it for a while).  Edwina had a few tough scenes but I think the most difficult one to play would have been when she had to watch Martha Farnsworth amputate McB's leg.  It was almost like Edwina knew that the leg didn't really need to be amputated but she wasn't quite sure and wasn't quite strong enough to stand up to Martha.  And, it had to be painful to watch something so devastating happen to someone you loved.

Tagging...

Palm: Did you like the ending in Unforgiven or would you have rather seen William and Delilah get together at the end?

mgk

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T