News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: never a bad guy and never costarring  (Read 5336 times)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2003, 04:11:12 PM »

I was wondering why Eastwood never did any bad guy roles?
I can understand that when he was becoming this huge star people wanted him to be hero in every picture he made but when he already was a big star,and could do almost everything he wanted,why did he not make any bad guy roles?It could have been intresting.
I know he is not very pleasant in the Beguiled but is that a really a bad guy role?
The other thing that i was wondering how come he never did any supporting roles?Other actors did.For example Gene Hackman(and he played bad guys too).
Could it be just so simple that he did not find any intresting supportroles that he wanted to play or that he did not want to do minor roles?
Any comments?
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2003, 04:40:23 PM »

He did do one bad guy role that I know of, he played a "bad guy" to James Garner's "good guy" in an episode of Maverick.

In some roles, he seems to play between a good guy and bad guy, almost not warranting any label.  His "High Plains Drifter", "The Outlaw Josey Wales", and "Unforgiven" characters were not simply good or bad.  Revenge is a common theme amongst these films.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 05:35:13 PM »

He was the co-star of Where Eagles Dare and Paint Your Wagon (established stars Burton and Marvin were the headliners there) in his early post-Leone Hollywood days, and he took a supporting role in his own A Perfect World. But other than those, he's been a star since the Spaghettis took America.

I'd speculate the main reason he doesn't take supporting roles in other people's movies is that as a total filmmaker - meaning an extremely active producer and director since the early '70s, he simply doesn't have the time to devote to such endeavors. Or at least nothing so incredibly interesting has come along and been offered that would make him schedule it in. The pre-production process on movies is sometimes arduous, taking months and even years to develop projects before they actually get made - which takes about a year to get to the screen once you even start one. I think Clint would probably much rather spend what free time he does have away from the production office and his sets with his family and friends, golfing and relaxing, and not sitting in a trailer somewhere with no control over the process.

We've had long discussions in the past on this board about the moral ambiguity of most of Clint's characters. Even most of his "heroes" are more correctly anti-heroes, and the murky middleground of right and wrong is what frames most of Clint's work.

But as for Clint playing a more cut-and-dried "bad guy" in the comic booky sense of the word, usually the movies those kinds of characters can be found in isn't the kind of material that naturally interests him. He could do it, and probably would excell at it if he found something that interested him in any way. But I don't wish he'd do one for the sake of doing one. Frankly if it's a choice between Eastwood developing his own material to direct or taking three months off to play Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin, well there ain't no discussion in my mind. And likely not in Clint's either, which is why he hasn't done one.

I reckon so, anyway.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 05:38:33 PM »

I have never seen any episodes of Maverick(or come to think of it any Rawhides either).We have only reruns of Bonanza here in Finland. ;)
I have allways thought  that Josey Wales was a hero.He did not surrender to North army and was chased because of that and his goal was revenge but  i still don`t see him as a bad guy.
Same thing with the Unforgiven.I think William Munny is more victim of his past than simply a bad guy.Surely his actions are criminal but i think Gene Hackman is more of a bad guy in this film.
And the High plains drifter...well it could be that this role is as bad as Clint could get.
I know Eastwood never did John Wayne type of heroes and that there allways was twist in his characters but at the end of allmost every picture his character have won and someone else is dead.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2003, 05:58:27 PM »

Clint's character admits to killing women and children in "Unforgiven".  He's not winning any good samaritan awards for that.  In "The Outlaw Josey Wales" he becomes a soldier in the confederate army to avenge his family's death.  He has a heroic side in the movie and is basically a good guy (moreso than Unforgiven), but I don't consider this a clear-cut good guy role due to his thirst for revenge in the beginning.  Not faulting his character, I'm just saying it deviates from what I consider a "good guy only" role.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 06:02:11 PM by Conan » Logged

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2003, 06:45:47 PM »

Well maybe i think it`s heroic thing to do kill the person that murdered your family  ;)
And i too think that Clints Characters are more complex.More so in Unforgiven.
Why i`m thinking of these things is because i thought it worked very well for Harrison Ford in Something lies beneth(or something like that,you know the movie?)and Ford is almost every time also a hero and in this picture he was not and that was big big suprise to me.So i just thought that it would have been cool to see Clint doing something very bad in the film instead of saving the day...again.
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2003, 06:58:35 PM »

Wilson in White Hunter Black Heart is a monster.

A pretty sympathetic one though.

Wayne never played an out and out villain either - although in terms of plot dynamics he possibly comes closer to it than Clint has in both Red River and The Searchers.

I'd like to see Clint as a real bad guy though - in an excellent movie!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 06:59:07 PM by Daisy Abigael » Logged

Daisy Girl!
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 07:53:27 PM »

Wow Daisy girl!You really know your Wayne and Eastwood films(and Bonds too ;)You sound like a girl that i want to marry.
So it`s already me and you who would like to see Clint as a badman.Should we call him or do we wait a bit?
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 09:53:34 PM »

are we forgetting 'the beguiled'i believe that was a negative  role.any comments.

rowdyyates
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T