News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES: The Story 10: What Happens Afterwards?  (Read 16856 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:04:26 AM »

At the end of the movie, Josey, wounded, leaves the scene of his showdown with Terrill and his tacit reconciliation with Fletcher, and starts to ride off into the sunrise. He is caught in a freeze frame, and the final credits come up. What happens next? Do you think Josey is going back to his surrogate family, or is he going off by himself, as he had intended to do earlier that morning? Do you think he will survive, or will he die of his wounds? If he lives, will he attempt to start a new a life with Laura Lee and the others? Why or why not?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:24:08 AM by KC » Logged
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 06:37:59 AM »

You know the open ending opens up a whole world of possibilities , and Ill tell you something , if I knew all them answers i would make the movie myself because I really wanted to know what happened to Josey Wales.

I think Josey would need some time to form relationships again after being that battle scarred and all.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 06:43:09 AM by Will T. » Logged
Kendall

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 02:27:50 AM »

If you want to know what happens next, why not read the sequel by author Forrest Carter: "The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales". There are plenty of cheap paperback editions available through sites like Amazon and Abebooks.com. Some of them include both the original Josey Wales book and the sequel in one volume.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 02:40:52 AM »

In my opinion, Josey rides off toward the ranch where everyone is waiting for him.  He has reluctantly gathered up this new family of his but he's very grateful to have them around.  He hopes that now that the Texas Rangers think that he is dead and Fletcher has given him a new opportunity to get rid of his "hunted man" image, he is ready to settle down again and make something of him life similar to the way it was when he lost his first family at the beginning of the movie.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 06:23:12 AM »

If you want to know what happens next, why not read the sequel by author Forrest Carter: "The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales". There are plenty of cheap paperback editions available through sites like Amazon and Abebooks.com. Some of them include both the original Josey Wales book and the sequel in one volume.
The film The Outlaw Josey Wales doesn't tell the same story that Forrest Carter told in the book that was the source material (among many other changes, in the book, Josey has a career as a notorious bank robber, he isn't pursued by Terrill's Redlegs and there is no showdown with the Redlegs at the end, and he marries Laura Lee and has a child).  So there's no reason to suppose anything Carter wrote in his sequel is pertinent to what would happen to the character as he's presented in the film.

We were wondering what people thought would happen after the end of the story as it's presented in the film, given what we know about the Josey that Eastwood has shown us.
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 06:51:15 AM »

Well, I would like to agree with mgk - "and everybody lived happily ever after".

But I don't know.  I could see a period of rest and recuperation but I always think Josey would have that urge to keep moving for the loss he already had he couldn't endure again.  I would tend to see Josey having the ranch at Blood Butte as a haven but he would keep moving around getting involved in the fight for justice - on his level - until one day someone is faster than Josey.

If Josey died and Lone Watie was still around and maybe Ten Bears, perhaps a spirit recognition of his death and a suitable 'send-off' for a remarablely just warrior !!

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 03:17:06 AM »

no the army of one was finished - he liked the townss folk he liked the ranch - because he was a rancher to begin with

- no probs - maybe went hunting a bit of whisky to keep everyone happy

england -  its flag the St George flag
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 06:06:32 AM »

Vik,

Josey was not a rancher by any stretch of the imagination.  He was a Sod-Buster - Dirt Farmer.  Remember start of movie - in the field with Little Josey ploughing with a mule.

Ranchers had/have lots and lots of open range with lots and lots of moo cows roaming around.

Poor Sod-Buster who was turned by circumstance into a War Hero.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 06:16:17 AM »

ok wrong term he was a farmer - still looked after the land

i meant he would finish with killing and go back to a more normal existence because that where he came from

i don't think he was no war hero - they were the one in the uniforms  ;) - i doubt he would want to be seen as any kinda hero

wombat this a discussion not a feud - leave that to josey   >:(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 06:20:13 AM by vik » Logged

Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 06:32:04 AM »

Vik,

Not a feud from this end.

Josey War Hero:  Well Josey's 'mates' with whom he fought as depicted in the film are based on Quantrill's Raiders who really did exist.  Bloody Bill Anderson was a real person who was killed in a Blue Bellie ambush near the end of the war.  Bloody Bill had a tendency to ride alone at the front of the column when the Raiders were moving from one place to another.  The trigger happy Blue Bellies opened up on him and killed him and missed the rest of the Raiders.

Quantrill's Raiders were a recognised force fighting for the Confederate States of America.  They were used in set battles on the odd occasion.  However, they had a tendency to be a 'power unto themselves'.  Quantrill actually came from Kansas and he personally hated Kansas because a few nasty things that had happened to him there.  Quantrill's Raider were based out of Missouri.

So is Josey a war hero - in my opinion - yes.

The Redlegs were the equivalent of Quantrill's Raiders on the Blue Bellie side.  The Redlegs were based out of Kansas.

Not trying to be smart but I am a military historian and one war I know a bit (and I mean a bit) about is the American Civil War.  Even been to Gettysburg.

Regards,

Wombat

Quantrills

"I'll be comin' with ya"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 06:41:09 AM »

umm yeh - but we don't see much of the war and when we see so your so called heroes - they are shot down

i think josey wales is about josey wales we don't see much of the war - so i can't judge that part - so i don't see him as a war hero

whether josey wales is a hero rather than a war hero maybe, he certainly is a type of hero to the townss folk and the settlers and even maybe fletcher admires him

Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 06:53:42 AM »

Vik,

Hmmmm OK, but (there is always a 'but') in your other post about classifying the film as No: 1, you mention the subtleness and humour and other aspects of the film itself.  So the war itself is not shown in any great detail but the innuendo and snap shots of battle are there for us all to see.  When Josey is giving the Confederate Officer water on the ground beside the tree the association with the Confederate Forces is there for all to see.  I suppose what we would have to define is what makes a soldier a 'war hero'.

I am classing Josey as a War Hero because:

1.  He never surrended.

2.  He gave his all.

3.  And he was the best of the bunch.

4.  He took the fight to the enemy at all times and was not deterred by numbers or firepower.

5.  He was an honourable warrior.  And known and highly regarded as such.

6.  He would have a chest full of medals if his Commander had taken the time to write him up.

His actions were heroic and it was in a war situation = war hero.

We may have to differ on this point but it is not a biggee.  The fact that we both regard the film as No: 1 - says it all !!!!

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 07:17:19 AM »

yep - shot me heart there wombat

ojw - simply the best

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 11:09:12 PM »

I like to think he went back to his new family.  Fletcher made it clear that the war was over, and he agreed, so the notion of him continuing to fight on is squashed there.  

AS for whether he lived or not....   anybody with a better knowledge of anatomy than me here?  I always assumed he lived, although there is a very small amount of doubt.

WKC.

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:19:53 AM »

In my opinion, Josey rides off toward the ranch where everyone is waiting for him.  He has reluctantly gathered up this new family of his but he's very grateful to have them around.  He hopes that now that the Texas Rangers think that he is dead and Fletcher has given him a new opportunity to get rid of his "hunted man" image, he is ready to settle down again and make something of him life similar to the way it was when he lost his first family at the beginning of the movie.

Couldnt have said it better myself
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 02:49:19 AM »

DWNN,

As long as Josey has a good Psychiatrist to hand, to assist him in returning to - a 'normal life' - he may well be able to settle in Blood Butte.

Talk about PTSD !!!  I kinda think a man who has experienced what Josey Wales experienced would have it BIG TIME !

Dreams - enjoyable but not real.  Reality:  Josey would be one heck of a restless man - I should think.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 08:48:06 AM »

I'm afraid I don't agree with that at all, Wombat.  Josey was a very happy farmer and family man until the Redlegs killed his wife and son.  He sought revenge for their death and successfully killed the man who ruined his peaceful life.  And, even in doing that appeared to have preferred not having to kill Terrill at all.  He was ready for that part of his life to be over.

I really don't think he was suffering from PTSD from the events.  I think he gladly welcomed the opportunity to settle down again.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 08:42:02 PM »

I think it would be nice for the story to have come full circle and for Josey to return to a normal life again.

However would we need to see that?

It has to be another one of those trademark Eastwood open endings.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Wombat

"Now spit"

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2004, 03:42:40 AM »

Philo & MGK,

That is the beauty of the ending.  CE just rides away and where he is going is anybodies guess.

Clint has allowed us all to have our own ending to the tale of 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'.

And I enjoy reading the alternative views and/or options.  Makes one think outside the square.

Regards,

Wombat

"I'll be comin' with ya"
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2004, 08:57:32 AM »

I really think Josey would not have found peace , at that time of chaos , most likely he would have been hung down the road , maybe for a minor misdemeanor by todays standards , it was a hard to time to make a living.  

We could also  compare Josey with William Munny in Unforgiven , He could not escape his past , once you kill many people there is no retuning to normality , an eye for an eye is forgivable but beyond that it's hard to justify it and hard to imagine Josey finding peace.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 07:38:00 AM by Will T. » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T