News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sunglasses  (Read 57667 times)
DocKhumalo

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: January 17, 2003, 06:25:08 AM »

Dear all,

what make and model of sunglasses is good old Harry runnning around with in the first DH movie?

See yous
DocKhumalo
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 11:25:54 PM »

Hi DocKhumalo, and welcome to the Eastwood web board.

We've had long discussions on the make and model of the sunglasses in the different Dirty Harry films in the past, and although they're not here on this board, I found some of the old posts on my hard drive.  Thanks to KC, D'Ambrosia and Agent for helping to post pictures which I'm bringing over here, for comparing these to many different makes and models and for coming up with what we believe are the correct models of the glasses.  If they're not the correct ones, they're close:

These appear to be Ray Ban Baloramas, Harry wears them in Dirty Harry and Magnum Force:

In  Sudden Impact:

Harry appears to be wearing Gargoyle Black Metal Frames with Blue Lens Sport Shields...The very first Legacy model...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 11:59:33 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 06:15:16 PM »

Here's another shot of the shades in Dirty Harry:

And here's some pictures from The Enforcer, which are still "unidentified".

Thanks to KC and Agent for posting these pictures the first time we discussed Harry's shades.  :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 01:31:28 PM »

Does anyone know if the Baloramas are still available. I've asked in several Ray-Ban outlets, only to be greeted with blank looks. 8)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 03:55:03 PM »

Not much different here in the States, Gant – most of the naive clerks have never heard of them, and some have even told me Ray-Ban has stopped making them, which isn’t true (they’re still listed on the Ray Ban website, part of the “Outsiders” collection. You can usually find them on Ebay, or here’s a couple of online dealers in the UK  that sell them:

Link 1

Link 2
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 04:19:14 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 07:47:31 PM »

This year's model ...  8)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 11:46:17 AM »

Thanks for the links Agent. I may just have to treat myself........... 8)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 01:22:56 AM »

These are the general  style.  Mid-seventy teardrop Serengeti Apogee Drivers:

Close but not quite it...
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 04:02:08 PM »

D'Amb, that looks like a match to me.  Pretty damb close, if not.
Jay74

"opinions are like @#!holes, everybody's got one"

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 10:59:35 AM »

When i type in: "Dirty Harry's Raybans" (i expected as much) on the dutch search-engine ;www.ilse.nl, i get this peace of text altough nowhere to be found on the Rayban site itself;
... welcome to Rayban sunglasses online store ... remember the classic  Rayban Baloroma worn by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry movie ...
Works for me, i hope Baloroma and Balorama are the same as i'm gonna "try" to by one tomorrow.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 01:27:03 PM »

Go to i'd say........Yahoo search (what I used) and type in
  "ray ban RB2009" that is the model number of the ray bans u will get a lot of results of those really cool glasses  8)

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
themastershake

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2003, 06:22:51 PM »

you know, i have actually been wearing baloramas for years, perhaps subconsciously ol' harry influenced me. i've since found out that they are dirty harry's sunglasses, i feel that more satisfied. anyway, i happen to work at an optical place, and did extensive research on just this topic. if anybody needs me to get the info, just let me know. i'm glad to help in this area, or anything clint eastwood.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 05:10:46 PM »

I hope our resident sunglass experts, D'Amb and Agent, can weigh in here on their opinion of this auction I found for a pair of sunglasses that are supposed to be the same model that Clint wore in Dirty Harry. Here's the auction.... and I'll also post the pictures and text since the link won't work for long:

RARE "CLINT EASTWOOD DIRTY HARRY" SUNGLASSES

On October 21, 1970 after ordering the first of the "EP" "TCB" eyeglasses Elvis left my optical store and called his longtime friend and associate Lamar Fike. Elvis said, "Lamar, I have found my eyeglass man".  Presenting Dirty Harry, authentic and worn by Clint Eastwood.

Hello, my name is Dennis Roberts. You can find my name in the book "Elvis A-Z" on page 172 and in the just-released book "Elvis and You" on page 342, as Elvis Presley's optician that made and designed his eyeglasses. In addition, articles were written about me and my company in People, Time, Newsweek and Fortune magazines, plus The National Enquirer, The New York Times, The Chicago Daily Times and newspapers around the world. As reported, I personally designed and made all of Elvis Presley's eyeglasses from 1970 thru 1977.

There's also a couple of articles there, but I don't see a mention of Clint in any of them.

If anyone thinks these are the real deal, and is willing to pay the asking price of $495, here's the e-mail to contact the optician who makes them, Dennis Roberts (or write down the phone number before the auction disappears, I hate to post a phone number here even though he chose to post it on eBay) denbarro@msn.com

And HERE is a link to his eBay store. An interesting site to browse through, to say the least.  Makes the DH sunglasses look like a real bargain.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 05:25:44 PM by Matt » Logged
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 05:14:19 PM »

How about you buy them for me Matt ;) 8)

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 05:20:13 PM »

A man's got to know his limitations, Dannyman. ;)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 07:22:32 PM »

Whether Mr. Roberts was Elvis Presley's personal optician or eyeglass maker, I cannot say, but why he calls these "Rare Clint Eastwood 'Dirty Harry' Sunglasses" is misleading, because it's quite plain he never wore those funky things in either Dirty Harry or Magnum Force. Not that it's necessary, but just to drive the point home:

From Dirty Harry:

Carrying on the tradition in Magnum Force:

...not to mention Play Misty For Me (not pictured). So I really have to question this guy's credentials, or at least his way of labeling things. $495?? Save yourself $490 and go buy a pair at a thrift store.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 01:16:26 PM by Agent » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 07:30:12 PM »

Does anyone know the retail price for the Ray-Ban Baloramas? 8)

Never mind.....I just found them.  Wow, that's a decent price for Ray-bans. I'm guessing harry has the Matte Black?

RayBan Baloramas Link
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 07:34:02 PM by Dannyman » Logged

-Danny

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 07:34:45 PM »

Thanks, Agent. Those are great screencaps, and I can definitely see from them that they're not a match... Clint's glasses don't have those extra sideframes.

Agent, mind if I grab one or two of those caps for some new avatars? They're great.

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2004, 07:35:26 PM »

I bought my pair from these guys, they're pretty reliable.

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »

Sure thing Matt, have at it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T