News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kyle Eastwood  (Read 80260 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:33:49 AM »

Kyle Eastwood is playing London next Monday (7th).
He's at Soho's PizzaExpress jazz club promoting his new cd Paris Blue.

Theres a pic of Kyle that shows he now bears a very strong resemblance to his father and the ad sayes.. "A Fistful of Bass" Wonder if he's happy with them doing that. ;D

I'd love to have gone along but I've got tickets for Ed Harcourt that night. It's a great little venue for anyone who's interested in attending.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 06:33:30 AM »

Hey.. that was a bit of luck. Just by chance I flicked the tv on this morning and caught an interview with Kyle, promoting the London gig and the new cd.

The interview was quite long. First they played a track from the cd "Paris Blue" which sounded great.. then they chatted a bit about his musical influences and his Mother and Fathers love of jazz. He talked a bit about acting in Outlaw Josey Wales and Honkytonk Man.. then they finished off with another track.. the old Bob Crosby track "Big Noise from Winetka" which Clint appears on supplying the whistling. (If you know the piece you'll know what I mean) ;D

Kyle came across very well, totally relaxed and at ease.... I must say, the cd sounded very good. Jazz seems to be going thru' a bit of a revival over here.. With a bit of air play it could do well.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 10:36:23 PM »

Here's a cool new article on Kyle Eastwood that I came across recently. It is a subscription only site, so I have deleted a couple of paragraphs that weren't particularly relevant, but I've posted most of the article. I thought it was interesting since there isn't usually too much information about Kyle, and this provides some interesting information on the father's influence on the son. It also notes that Kyle will be providing some music for MDB.

Kyle Eastwood: A fistful of quavers
Having a famous father hasn't proved a handicap to Kyle Eastwood. The jazz bassist is too busy gathering fans on his own merits, Sholto Byrnes discovers.
04 November 2004

To the short, and not always particularly honourable, list of bass player leaders in jazz, a new name has been added. Kyle Eastwood, a Californian now partially based in London, has just signed to Candid Records, the label responsible for bringing Jamie Cullum and Clare Teal to the nation's attention. And so far, he has avoided the pitfalls that can be associated with leading a band from the back of the rhythm section.

But Kyle Eastwood is an admirably discreet leader, possessed of a good technique and a pleasant sound that underpins his band while never hogging the limelight. But then a laconic disposition runs in the family. Yes, Kyle is a relation - he's the eldest son of Clint Eastwood, who is at least partially responsible for his firstborn pursuing a career that will never bring the Hollywood wealth and fame that he has long enjoyed.

"My father originally entertained ideas of being a musician himself," Kyle tells me over a beer at a Fulham Road bar. "Long before he stumbled into acting, he used to play piano in bars in Oakland, California, where he grew up."

Clint Eastwood's love of jazz is well-known. In his debut as director, Play Misty for Me, he took the role of a jazz DJ, and later directed a biopic about Charlie Parker, Bird. So Kyle's childhood had jazz as its soundtrack, and he credits his father with introducing him to the joys of the bass line. "The first thing my father showed me," he says, "was how to play boogie-woogie on the piano. He taught me the left-hand part, so I'd play that and he'd play the right hand. That was probably my earliest playing of a bass line."

After learning the piano, which he says he was never very serious about, Kyle started playing electric bass in his teens. "I had a lot of friends who were musicians at high school in Carmel, people who played trumpet, saxophone, guitar and drums. But there were no bass players. Someone loaned me an electric bass, and it came easily to me. Then later I started studying and playing the upright." He went on to take a film studies course at UCLA (as a 14-year-old, he had appeared in the film Honkytonk Man with his father), but left after a year to concentrate solely on music.

Kyle wears the mantle of inherited fame very lightly. The physical resemblance is there to see: tall and lean, he has his father's eyes and hair; the concision in speech is familiar, too. The name helps, but it might also lead some to doubt his ability as a player. "Usually if they hear me play or if I play with them then we've got past that," he says. After years of gigging in Los Angeles and New York, 36-year-old Kyle has certainly paid his dues, recording his first album for Sony in 1998. But has he ever had to face musicians with an attitude about his dad? "I've just met some musicians who had attitude problems in general," he jokes. "But honestly, I haven't run into too many people who've been difficult about it. The best thing is if it turns someone on to the music who wouldn't normally listen to it."

"My dad played me the tune about 15 years ago," says Kyle, "and then a few years ago he had his old 78 of it out, and he said, 'You should record a new version of this tune, it's a really cool bass feature.' I wrote these bop riffs for it and I had a sample of the whistling on the 78. But the original was running slow, so it wasn't quite in tune. I thought it'd be kind of fun to have the whistling. My sister did a pass on it, I did a pass on it, and my dad did too. And that was the one that made the cut."

Eastwood father and son work together on films, too, with Kyle providing music for Clint's recent film, Mystic River, and also for his next, Million Dollar Baby. "I've always enjoyed working with him," says Kyle. "He's direct. If he asks my opinion and he doesn't agree with it - well, he's pretty much going to do what he wants anyway." Kyle laughs again. He seems extraordinarily unscathed by the experience of having grown up as the son of such a famous man. A model for children of celebrities. And not bad as a model for bass player leaders, either.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/music/story.jsp?story=579295
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 11:44:05 PM »

That's cool he's doing some music for MDB. His songs for Mystic River were pretty good. It'll be interesting to hear what he comes up with.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 12:09:40 AM »

In AKA's post above, these two sentences should precede the next to last paragraph so that we understand what song he is referring to:

[Kyle's new album] also features his father whistling on the opening track, a version of the old Bob Haggart tune, "Big Noise from Winnetka". How did that come about?
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 08:19:56 PM »

I flicked the tv on this morning and caught an interview with Kyle, promoting the London gig and the new cd.

I think I surfed on to the same interview.  You can watch it HERE.  He had a good laugh when they took the mick out of Clint's whistling, which you get to hear.

Sounds like Paris Blue is a good CD. 

Here's a pic:

That CD cover (and its likeness, or otherwise, to the Man With No Name) is mentioned in a short interview in today's Metro, which I happened upon while riding the bus.  You can read it HERE.
Doesn't say much new but mentions Clint, of course. 
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 06:26:09 PM »

Gee the older Kyle gets the more like Clint he becomes.  That particular pic is so like him.    Great interview! :)
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 07:00:56 AM »

Kyle is certainly a good-looking fella :)

I am going to buy Paris Blue asap as I have heard so many good things about it. There was an interesting interview with Kyle in the free newspaper we get in the UK in the train stations - it was great to read it last week! The interview is from January 21st and click here to read it online. He looks very much like his dad in the article picture. There have been quite a few articles about Clint in the British press recently so it's nice to read one specifically to do with Kyle I think. On the Paris Blue album cover he reminds me a little of Alexis Denisof of Buffy/Angel fame...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:29:34 PM »

I was just reading the cover of the Paris Blue CD and noticed that the Paris Blue track 7 piano intro was written and performed by Graylen Eastwood.     Like Father like son like daughter.  So she has inherited the Eastwood musical talent.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 07:58:55 PM »

She's a Wunderkind! Isn't she just ten?  :o
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »

It runs in the family  8)

I know he plays bass, but does he sing too ?

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 05:27:08 PM »

I know he plays bass, but does he sing too ?

I wonder because he doesn't sing on his cd's and he has singers with his group.

She's a Wunderkind! Isn't she just ten? :o

Yes I believe so and on top of all that Clint whistles on track 1 and 8  [BigNoise from Winnetka]   A real family affair! O0
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »

I wonder because he doesn't sing on his cd's and he has singers with his group.
Maybe he did on From There to Here???

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 05:47:06 PM »

Maybe he did on From There to Here ? ???

I have yet to get that cd so I don't know.   Does Clint get a mention on that one?
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 08:47:50 AM »

???

I don't know ...

But I don't think so ... just on the last one ...
He's whistling is that it ? On which track ? "Big Noise" ?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 09:26:19 AM »

???

I don't know ...

But I don't think so ... just on the last one ...
He's whistling is that it ? On which track ? "Big Noise" ?

Read mgk's post, on the last page ... 

[Kyle's new album] also features his father whistling on the opening track, a version of the old Bob Haggart tune, "Big Noise from Winnetka". How did that come about?

... and AKA's, just above that one ...

"My dad played me the tune about 15 years ago," says Kyle, "and then a few years ago he had his old 78 of it out, and he said, 'You should record a new version of this tune, it's a really cool bass feature.' I wrote these bop riffs for it and I had a sample of the whistling on the 78. But the original was running slow, so it wasn't quite in tune. I thought it'd be kind of fun to have the whistling. My sister did a pass on it, I did a pass on it, and my dad did too. And that was the one that made the cut."
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 02:43:40 PM »

Well I got Paris Blue for my birthday amongst other cds and I have to say it's brilliant. Really, really impressed me. I will definitely be getting his first album - anyone heard it?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »

Well I got Paris Blue for my birthday amongst other cds and I have to say it's brilliant. Really, really impressed me. I will definitely be getting his first album - anyone heard it?

From There to Here.    A brilliant CD.  Kyle is really talented and I would recommend it.    On Paris Blue there are some fantastic jazz interpretations and as a jazz fan I rate Kyle quite high on my list of up and coming greats.

Enjoy.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 01:51:06 PM »

Will definitely be getting Kyle's first album then, thanks Lin!

With that and the Taxi Driver soundtrack I have some good jazz to listen to now :) I seem to have misplaced my Dirty Harry soundtrack cd :o And ditto my American Graffiti double cd :(

Mitchellgant

R.U. going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2005, 11:24:06 AM »

It seems as if I have a lot to learn about The Eastwood's. I did know about Clint's passion for Jazz (which I share) but I always wondered what his son Kyle was doing these days -- untill now. I had not known he had a daughter? Is there a photo of her here somewhere?

regards (M.Gant) aka C.E.

Next time, let's keep this an all British operation hmm?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T