News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Five movies you HIGHLY recommend  (Read 27519 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 09:38:04 PM »

And Chris, the Austin Powers movies are getting worse I think.  The first one was awesome, the second pretty good, and the last one was ok/average.  The last one had some laughs, but in-between lots of unfunny dialogue.  The Mini-me joke is getting milked way too much; there just wasn't much original about it.

Agreed Conan. I noticed they were also repeating alot of the jokes from the first one.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »

OOPS I forgot to mention The Hours in my list ... this movie was just AWSOME.

+ Vik, I agree with you, any 5 with Clint in will do me too !

PS Anyway, it was nice having this little talk with you about Amélie ...
But you know, it was not my intention to give a stereotyped view of the Americans ... I do know that most of them truly loved Amélie -after all it was nominated for the Oscars, right?-, and I respect that ... but I also know that SOME people -wheither they be Americans, Germans or even French had a good laugh watching Amélie the French girl and all her little defects. And I think it's too bad ... People shouldn't judge a culture just by seeing a movie, but unfortunately that happens sometimes...
Take American Beauty for ex. Do all American families are like that ? Thank God no !

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2004, 08:04:14 AM »

And Chris, the Austin Powers movies are getting worse I think.  The first one was awesome, the second pretty good, and the last one was ok/average.  The last one had some laughs, but in-between lots of unfunny dialogue.  The Mini-me joke is getting milked way too much; there just wasn't much original about it.
There's something about the repetitiveness I like. Mike Myers knows he's repeating things. We all know jokes are being repeated. Maybe it's because I was late getting into the series. I watched the movies over the course of about five or six years and liked each one more than the last.

I've always thought Dr. Evil was the funniest character in the series, even back when I saw the first one. His exchanges with all the other bad guys always kills me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:05:41 AM by Christopher » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2004, 09:53:42 AM »

I just watched A High Wind in Jamaica  Starring Anthony Quinn and directed by Alexander Mackendrick.... and this reminded me of another film ya just gotta see....

Mackendricks Sweet Smell of Success.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2004, 10:13:19 AM »

I liked Amelie a lot.I`ve seen it twice and I propalbly will watch it third time.

Both times when I was watching it I did not think that French people are like the characters in the movie.I just thought it was delightfull and diffrent from the other movies that I had watched and what I´ve been watching lately.

Matt,The Day After Tomorrow was only average but it was good to see Dennis Quaid.It`s been long time since I saw him in any movie...I think Traffic was last film that I saw that included him.

About the Austin Power films:first two are good and the third is pure s**t.I hated that Michael Caine agreed to do that film :(

Speaking of Michael Caine,I would like to add to my list Get Carter(ofcourse the original).Just watched it again  from TV and it still is great movie.
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2004, 03:10:33 PM »

French are not as simple as that !

That's an interesting take on Amélie's personality. I didn't think she is portrayed as a simple woman (you're anything but a simple woman, Amélie, eerr, where did that come from??? ;))
I'm not french, but almost. People around here never considered Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain to be a parody or simplification of the french way of life (if there is such a thing). It is a love-story told in a very beautiful and original way, and Amélie just warms your heart. It's the kind of movie you see and afterwards feel very very good, didn't you experience that too? Of course the story is un-conventional (is that an english word??), is that what you mean by "french"? Like the little story about the dwarf on travel. But to me (and the people I've talked to  about this film), this has got nothing to do with a nation, rather with a fresh/new vision of things around Amélie/us.
   I can perfectly understand and accept if you don't like this movie. It's just that in this case I don't really understand your reason for not liking it. Maybe I am just misinterpreting your post about it, so excuse me if this is the case.
  Oh, and Matt, if you get through all the movies already suggested, I could suggest you my favorites too :D

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2004, 03:15:27 PM »

Oh, and Matt, if you get through all the movies already suggested, I could suggest you my favorites too :D
Go ahead and post. We all will get ideas of stuff to watch from one another. :)

I've heard some good things about Amélie. I've only seen the first few minutes of the movie, which I saw in a class. Looked really interesting.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2004, 04:50:41 PM »

Matt,The Day After Tomorrow was only average but it was good to see Dennis Quaid.It`s been long time since I saw him in any movie...I think Traffic was last film that I saw that included him.

I thought it was a fun movie, particularly since I got to watch KC's place of business (New York Public Library) hit with a natural disaster. Good thing she wasn't working that day! ;) I enjoyed the special effects, and I laughed at some of the lines that were so over-the-top I can only imagine they meant it that way "I think we've hit a critical desalinization point!"   ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2004, 04:55:16 PM »

Of course the story is un-conventional (is that an english word??), is that what you mean by "french"? Like the little story about the dwarf on travel.

The traveling gnome was a popular practical joke from before the movie was made. I had known of it before seeing Amelie after reading in the news about a group of American teenagers who stole a garden gnome and carted it all over the country, taking polaroids of it in front of different landmarks and sending them to the owners with notes (written by the gnome) saying where he'd been and that he was having a good time and would be back soon. He was eventually returned safely to his garden home, well-traveled and wiser. The owners loved the gag, laughing at every photo they received. So that particular part of Amelie wasn't original, but it was funny to see it in the movie anyway.

EDIT: Looking for some documentation, I found an article about the "Roaming Gnome" which states the origins go back about 20 years. No one knows for sure where the prank originated, though the earliest occurance to which they were able to trace back happened in Australia: http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0130/p14s01-lihc.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 06:27:51 PM by Matt » Logged
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2004, 03:26:11 AM »

My first five:

The Geat Escape

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

Planet of the Apes (1968-Charlotn Henston)

Lethal Weapon

The Party

And the second five plus one for Round 2 ;)

The Magnificent Seven

Glory

The Shining

Cape Fear (1991-DeNiro)

Name of the Rose (Sean Connery)

The Rock (Cage-Connery)

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2004, 05:57:52 AM »

All About Eve

Pi

Being John Malkovich (double feature with Adaptation)

Malena (Italian movie, featuring a soundtrack by guess who...)

Fearless

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2004, 10:52:55 AM »

This is a cool thread...much more light hearted than "name your fav movie" kinda threads, since you only have to name a few flicks that are good, and not scratch your head to know your favorites :P
 So anyways, heres a few recommendations, and Ill try to get through without naming movies realted to bands (the doors, the wall, etc..)

1-The Hudsucker Proxy...Watched this recently, Its a pretty fun flick starring Tim Robbins and Paul Newman.Watch out for a few scenes feat. Bruce Campbell

2-Speaking Of Bruce...EVIL DEAD 1, 2 and 3 are always good to spice up a  dying party

3-I recently bought "The man from elysian films" starring Andy Garcia, james coburn And SIR mick jagger, and even though I had only bought it to satisfy my curiosity, beeing a rolling stones fan, I admit I was pleasantly surprised. Well crafted story, and yes, Jagger can act.

4-Clownhouse...Pretty decent horror flick by Victor DE SAlva (jeepers creepers) he actually went to jail after the movie for clowning around a bit too much with the 3 child stars but hey- a good flick nevertheless

5-Class of ''89..a pretty cheesy flick from..yeah from 1989, about a bunch of violent punks terrorizing a teacher at their school. the plot sounds corny but the fight scenes are good and the acting isnt that bad...I though it was rather enjoyable

6-Starsky and hutch(2004)-My fav movie of the year. STiller and Wilson are Hilarious together.This is great stuff

7-Cheech and chong's up in smoke- always a good movie to bring at a party :)

8-Signing in the rain. I love this movie and I uaually hate musicals so this means it's good stuff

9-Bowling for columbine/Fahrenheit 9/11-both good flicks no further comment

10-School of rock....So beautiful-I wish education was really like that :)

So here are my 10 (woops I doubled my share) recommendations, notice I tried to step away from both the horror genre and movies about bands so this is one huge step for me ;)

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2004, 02:45:42 PM »

Another Five i would recommend

1/ Identity (2003)

2/ Angels in the Outfield (1951)

3/ The Grissom Gang (1971)

4/ Outland

5/ Cape Fear (1962)

Bonus bit

Things to do in Denver when your Dead (1995)

Angel Heart (1987)

On The Waterfront (1954)

Blue Velvet

The Loveless (1982)

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »

The Loveless.. man what a great movie. I think I've still got it on video somewhere.... Gonna go find it and watch it again.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 03:14:12 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2004, 05:12:47 PM »

The recommendations so far have been great. I watched Chinatown last night, and it was fantastic. If anyone here hasn't seen it yet, that's a great recommendation from Holden's list that I'd "second".

I had picked up Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf the other night, thinking that it was one of mgk's recommendations, but when I look back on her list, she didn't list it... I think I was getting it mixed up with Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (which I've actually seen a few times).  In any case, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was really good, and since no one recommended it yet, I will. I was shocked by Elizabeth Taylor's performance... I never knew she had it in her. She was so unglamorous in every way... and yet by the final scene of the movie, I actually felt very sympathetic toward her. Stunning performances all around, and worth seeing.

I just brought home three more movies from the lists in this thread:  City of God, Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Wings of Desire.

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2004, 05:15:15 PM »

didn't you find virginia wolf a bit over the top - Matt

all that shouting and tantrums etc.

england -  its flag the St George flag
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2004, 05:21:22 PM »

No, because I understood them... it didn't seem over-the-top to me. Pathetic and sad, but not unrealistic at all.
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2004, 05:31:22 PM »

Darn it! with all the good movies already mentioned I can only think of three right now

In A Lonely Place (1950)

Les Uns et Les Autres (1981)

Paris, Texas (1984)

Matt, I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf a long time ago. I was also impressed by the acting and the story, I remember saying wow when the movie was over.

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »

1.  Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Really?!?!?!

For a long time I thought I was the only person that enjoyed this movie.  :D :D

I thought it was a great crazy movie.

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2004, 05:44:15 PM »

I remember saying wow when the movie was over.

I think I did too. I know I sat there a moment, just quietly digesting it all.

One of the amazing things about Elizabeth Taylor's performance is that any other woman who acted like she did in this film would have had me disliking her so much, that I wouldn't have cared enough about her to be so devastated by the discovery of what George and Martha had been doing, or by her final words of the film ... "I am."  Simply heartbreaking.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T