News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capturing DVD images  (Read 4451 times)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« on: December 19, 2002, 01:57:13 PM »

Could someone please tell me how I can capture a still image from a DVD?  KC and others, I see you did so over in the Dirty Harry DVD review thread.  Do I need special software?  
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 07:42:35 PM »

You may need special software ... I assume you're asking about capturing images from a DVD-ROM drive in your computer, as opposed to from a "regular" DVD player?

I found that no screen capture program I had would work with the InterVideo WinDVD software player that came with my computer, so I downloaded Hyperionics' HyperSnapDX. You can download a trial version for free, then purchase a license for $35. Hyperionics explains here why it can be tricky to do caps from DVDs or other video that plays on your computer, and describes in detail how to make their program perform the task in many instances.

Remember, the trial version is free, so if it doesn't work with your setup, you're not out any dough ... and you can still try getting another software player.

I hope it helps.

KC
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 08:25:37 PM by KC » Logged
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 07:58:27 PM »

I use a program called PowerDVD, and all you have to do is hit the 'c' button whenever you want a screen cap taken.

Be careful though, becuase if I remember right, they take up quite a bit of space on the good ol'hard drive.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 05:39:41 AM »

Thanks guys, that's very helpful; I'll give it a go.   :)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 07:45:31 PM »

Just wanted to say that I downloaded both the HyperSnapDX and the PowerDVD programs.  I couldn't get HyperSnap to work properly, despite the very useful help page that KC linked to, but I did like its setup.  PowerDVD did work well though - now I'll be happily clicking away for hours! :)  It's not the best viewer for just watching DVD's (I found Windows Media Player better), but it makes capturing stills very straightforward - and yeah I soon filled up a 650MB CD!  So thankyou KC and Nightwing for your suggestions.  :)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 07:54:33 PM »

No problem Lilly.

Yah when I starting caputring images with PowerDVD I didnt releaize the file size was so big!! :o

Now I limit my capturing. They make great desktop wallpapers though. Nice high quality.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 07:54:58 PM by Nightwing » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T