News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board updates and maintenance  (Read 32038 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2004, 11:04:24 PM »

Yes, Cal, the server time is slow. That is exactly what I am saying. If it's difficult to update the server time so that it's correct, or if you don't have control over it, don't worry too much about it, but I thought that I would point it out :)

As far as the Who's Online feature, it took me quite awhile to find it, and like KC, I don't really mind it. I don't think that most members would be able to find it anyway, and if they were able to find it, why anybody would want to make regular use of it. I must confess though that I never really have fully understood the idea of a complete right to privacy. For me, I feel that if I'm not doing anything objectionable that I would be ashamed to let other people know about, then I don't really care about other people seeing where I'm going and what I'm doing. I'm sure that there are a few exceptions to this, but most of my day to day activities are pretty mundane, so if other people really want to know about them, I kind of feel sorry for these people who have such boring lives. If you are secure in your own actions, then why is it such a big problem that the government or whomever else can track where it is that you go? I don't really understand why this kind of thing creates so much panic among the general populous. At the same time, I do respect if certain members of the board feel uncomfortable that other people may be able to see what topic they're viewing on the board, but I don't really see why it would be such a huge problem. I don't envision our members frantically checking up on each other and creating some kind of ongoing database as to who is viewing what and for how long on this board. That's just my opinion. 
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2004, 01:25:49 AM »

umm just  a problem when i am viewing from work  ;D

not that i would of course
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 01:27:39 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2004, 02:23:40 AM »

As an open honest poster (and we have had some in the past that were not)  I have no problem with the whose online feature.

I don't see a need to hide anything either but as long as people have the choice, then that is fine.

Philo .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 02:42:26 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2004, 02:37:37 AM »

Very impressive new look .

Just been checking out the new Stats, The amount of time some people stay on site sure shows their dedication to it.

Must have a longer look later.

Enjoy.

Philo .

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2004, 03:17:44 AM »

It has nothing to do with honesty, it has to do with privacy. If anyone here has ever had a problem with being "stalked" online, as I have, you'd probably have an uncomfortable feeling about it too.  Maybe in time I'll feel comfortable about it, and change my status back. For now, it feels like an invasive, and unnecessary feature.

On a positive note, I'm also happy to see that the tags are working well in Firefox.  :D
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2004, 03:39:47 AM »

Hi Matt,

I was talking about dishonesty about who everybody is.

We have always known who you are.

Philo .

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2004, 03:48:29 AM »

Well, I like that too, except that I don't always see that it hasn't let me post (because it takes you out to the forum index page first) and a couple of times I've come back to my post quite a bit later and realized that it never got posted!  :o

KC, you can adjust your profile to bring you back to the topic instead of the index. In your profile, go to "look and layout preferences" and check "Return to topics after posting by default."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2004, 04:01:55 AM »

I also like that our e-mail addresses are only visible now to other members who are logged in. That should reduce spammers that are just here looking for e-mail addresses since they'd now have to go through the registration process.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2004, 12:45:38 PM »

i like the update i think it's a few nice touches,
however on a humiliating note i cannot find the user stats either, nor do i particularly want to. so if everyone is T.A.S. like me there's no worries ;D

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2004, 09:21:56 PM »

Please let me know if anyone has had any errors with POLLS, PRIVATE MESSAGES, ETC. I am trying to get the spell checker to work now so hopefully that becomes funtional in the next couple of days. Thanks.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2004, 09:27:59 PM »

I am trying to get the spell checker to work now so hopefully that becomes funtional in the next couple of days. Thanks.
I can see it's not funtional yet ... ;)

Thanks, Cal.  Don't forget to look into some of the issues mentioned in this thread, when you get a chance.
Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2004, 10:37:20 AM »

OK the spell check should be working now.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2004, 10:51:58 AM »

Spell check is functional?  ???

Yes, it is!  ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2004, 10:56:20 AM »

KC  I adjusted my profile t return me to the thread but I still get sent out to the index page when I post.  Where am I going wrong?  Lin ???
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2004, 10:59:46 AM »

Have tried again to get my posts to show straight away and not return me to the index.   Checked the default but it drops out.  I did click on change profile ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »

I don't know, Lin ... what browser are you using?

You're sure that the box next to "Return to topics after posting by default." in the "Look and Layout" section of "Modify Profile" is checked?  ???
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2005, 08:57:05 AM »

Hi Lin,

I was able to change it as explained by KC. It should work.  ???

Philo .

Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2005, 11:21:51 PM »

Anyone using the "Mocha" board flavor will experience some slight ugliness when viewing parts of the board until I finish recreating this theme. Sorry. But you've been forewarned.  ;)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2005, 06:58:28 AM »

KC and Philo   Tried again three more times and finally got it all to work as it should.  Thank you for your help.  I was getting frustrated.  I use Wanadoo incidently.
Love the new smiley faces. :)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2005, 08:00:23 AM »

Lin ,

Are you Mocha user ?  :D

Philo .

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T