News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Smilies  (Read 29368 times)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 01, 2005, 12:24:36 AM »

>:(   >:(   >:(

This new angry face is so over-the-top angry that it makes me laugh.  I don't think it can be used to convey anger  :D

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 11:19:23 AM »

Oh God these new smilies are just  so... odd. Now the crying face is sadder then ever:  :'(
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »

I think the new smilies are cute. 

I worry that we're talking about the new smilies, do we really have nothing else pointless to discuss?   >:D

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 09:20:16 PM »

I do like the new evil smiley that Chessie used above. I can think of times when that would have came in handy for me. >:D
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 04:14:03 AM »

Here it is:  The Clint Eastwood smiley.

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 10:48:49 AM »

and he ain't chomping on that cigar so not quite right

anyways where is the spitting one

england -  its flag the St George flag
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 01:43:27 PM »

Yeah i agree this really is pointless and endless talking about smilies but what the heck if you cant beat em join em

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D ^-^ O0

and who says i have multiple personalities lol

"i saw a man upon the stair"

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »

Boy I have missed so much while I've been away!!!

It was worth returning just for these smilies  O0

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 05:53:10 PM »

I hate the smilies. I want to go back and edit all my old posts just to get rid of them. It might take a while though ... 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 08:36:46 PM »

I don't like them either. What I don't like is that all the posts that we wrote where we chose the smilies to convey the emotions we wanted to send across have now automatically been updated with different "emotions". Some of them are really no big deal because they're close enough to the original smilies. But these are just too "cute" for me. I'd simply NEVER use them.  But the one that's irritating is that this:  :D  replaces this in all our original posts. That is NOT the same emotion. One is saying you're going nutty, the other is conveying happiness. I wouldn't want a post where I was welcoming a member, or answering a question about an Eastwood film to have a "I'm going nutty" expression now when I was originally just giving a big smile. A totally different feeling is conveyed through the post. The smilies are supposed to be here to help convey your expression in your posts. They shouldn't be changed on previous posts if they're going to be this far away from the originals.

It's a bit of work to go through 5,000 posts to edit all the smilies that don't express ourselves the way we originally intended.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 08:50:05 PM »

Right, Matt. I used "Cheesy" a lot. No more. I can't really stand any of the new ones ... except this fella ...  >:(

Who perfectly expresses how I feel about the new smilies!
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 09:07:29 PM »

The posts above were originally posted in the Off-Topic Discussion Forum in our "Endless Pointless Thread". I've split them off and started a new thread here in the Troubleshooting Forum since this pertains to the board update and I'm sure Cal would like to see everyone's thoughts on the new smilies.

(When posts are split from the original topic, all except the first post--which a moderator renames when the topic is split--retain the original topic title.)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 09:30:20 PM »

My problem with the new smilies is that none of them are "me."  If I want to express a feeling with a little subtlety, there's nothing here to use.

I've made a couple of posts since the updates and in each one, I looked for an appropriate smilie for what I was tryintg to express and there just wasn't one here.

Some people seem to like these and that's fine but I do hope that we can have maybe another set to choose from.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 09:47:44 PM »

Cal, can the smilies that come up automatically when you type in keystrokes :) ;) :( :/ :D (etc.) go back to being like the smilies we chose to use so that our original posts aren't suddenly so goofy? This set would be a nice alternative for everyone who likes them to be able to use from now on, and those of us who can't stand them wouldn't have our old posts changed.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 09:55:03 PM »

Thanks to the new feature that shows a post someone makes while you're posting, I can change this to "I second what Matt said." If some people like these things, by all means, make them available but make them "extras."

The web board besides this one where I post most often just went through a similar total upgrade. They now have a total of 53 smilies available. But when you click "Reply," what you see at first are eight "Classic Smilies" ...

If you then click "More," you see the rest.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 11:31:09 PM »

My first thread in years, and its about smilies!  :D

I don't mind the new choices, but I would be hesistant to use one for something serious.  They all seem to be funny to me, especially the angry one   >:(

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 11:36:05 PM »

I had a comment about this one:  :-\  and what it makes me think it conveys but I don't it's appropriate for the board.
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 11:48:43 PM »

I like some of them, but some are just way to animated for my tastes.  I like  >:D  O0 8), but other then that they don't make me jump for joy. 

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2005, 10:44:39 AM »

I do like them but I must admit it is difficult to get one to show just what you are trying to say.  Perhaps we should have these plus the old ones. ???
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 12:55:47 PM »

this one looks like its about to eat the board ;D

preferred the other one

england -  its flag the St George flag
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T