News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Smilies  (Read 30194 times)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »

Here is the ambiguous emotions smiley.

I think the thumbs up smile is the best of the new crop.  The worst would be "angry" face.

masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2005, 05:41:21 PM »

I personally don't like them and think we should go back to the old ones. I agree with Matt and think it'll be a good idea to do so.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2005, 10:48:59 PM »

I like the new ones because they actually do something.

I didn't mind the old ones except that stupid grinning one. I would never use that, in fact I won't put it here as an example.

As usual both sets will make everyone happy.

Philo .  ;)

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 04:15:18 PM »

One thing I do like about using smilies now is that, if you forget to put one and decide to later, you can click where you want to put it in your post and it shows up right there instead of at the very end of everything you have typed.  O0
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 07:21:35 PM »

That doesn't have anything to do with the new smilies, it has to do with the board being more compatible with Firefox now. All the BBC tags work right now in Firefox. They've always worked right in IE.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 07:44:35 PM »

Oh.....

Guess that's another good reason to keep using Firefox.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 12:59:37 PM by mgk » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 01:27:09 PM »

Here are the old smilies, if anyone wants to use them for old time's sake (or because they prefer them, like me). Just right-click to copy the URL and put it between image tags:

And, while I'm at it... here are the groovy, colorful ones from the old, old board:

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2005, 01:34:17 PM »

The new "Cheesy"  :D is so ridiculously annoying in the new Firefox browser. The speed of those eyes jingling around is distracting when trying to read the person's post. Of course, if you don't use Firefox, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about since it's not nearly as bad in Internet Explorer.

Firefox is such a much faster browser, that all the animations are sped up. That one is the worst of the bunch.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »

Thanks for posting the old smiles Matt, that's really useful. 

:D is a bad smiley for "cheesy", but it's quite effective for "nutty" or "losing it". 
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »

I've used the new "cheesy" a couple of times when I'm feeling really goofy ... that would be a better name for it, "goofy."

I can live with the new "cool." A couple of others, like "cry" and "kiss," are OK but I don't have much occasion for them. For the ones I use a lot, like "smile," "wink," "grin" and the old "cheesy," I usually set the message icon to the one I want, then copy the image location, paste it in the message box and tag it as an image. Then set the message icon (usually) to something else. That's a lot of work, but I can't stand the new ones.

What on earth is "Azn" supposed to be anyhow (the one next to thumbs-up, on the right:  ^-^ )? (Ah, I get it ... "Asian." But what emotion is it supposed to be?)

And why is thumbs-up (  O0 ) called "Afro"? ??? (imagine old "huh" smiley here ...   :-\ )
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2005, 07:44:51 PM »

Actually, here's another idea for anyone who's unhappy with the new smilies, since Matt has been so kind as to host the old ones!

Click "quote" on Matt's message with the new smilies, and then go into the message box and "select all." Copy the entire post, with the URLs and the image tags for the smilies. Then, paste it into a new Notepad file, and name it smilies.txt. Then, put a shortcut to the file on your desktop.  Right click the shortcut  and select "Properties" from the menu that pops up. Select the "Shortcut" tab and where it says "Shortcut key," press a key combination to use as a shortcut, like Ctrl + Alt + s ... or anything that's easy to remember.

Then, any time you want a smiley, hit the shortcut keys, and copy the entire line with the code for the smiley you want, and paste it into your message. Like this:

Easy as lemon meringue pie, once you've got the hang of it. 
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2005, 12:08:45 AM »

What on earth is "Azn" supposed to be anyhow (the one next to thumbs-up, on the right:  ^-^ )? (Ah, I get it ... "Asian." But what emotion is it supposed to be?)

I never realized that was called "Azn" or "Asian". I always thought of it as the "lascivious smiley".  Sort of the same emotion as this one:

And why is thumbs-up (  O0 ) called "Afro"? ??? (imagine old "huh" smiley here ...   :-\ )

I've got a notion on that, and why the other one is called "Azn", but I think this should sum it up:
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2005, 07:17:17 PM »

Actually, here's another idea for anyone who's unhappy with the new smilies...

O0  Good idea KC, thanks.

Or if anyone using Firefox has the QuickNote extension like I do, they could paste the URLs and img tags from Matt's post to QuickNote, which would also be just a click away.  (That's a handy extension for storing notes within the browser.  It's homepage is HERE.)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2005, 12:16:54 AM »

Not to bash or anything but the new smiles are not that great, imo....
 :D This is chessy???  More like rattlebrained
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 05:00:52 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2005, 09:50:21 AM »

It's really interesting to read all these posts about the new smilies  ... and i believe all of you are right !
I've  sent 10 posts and i used smilies just because it's a bit difficult for me to express my mood or my emotions in a few words, my anglo-american is too bad and just "a little" too scolar ! So some of these smilies are
sometime really useful .  I can understand what you all are talking about on this wonderful website but i'm too weak to explain everything i'd like to say !  :'( :'( :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005, 04:57:18 PM »

Hi Sylvie, I think your English is very good.   O0 

But yeah, smilies do help, even among native speakers.  I see you are in the Auvergne - that's a wonderful place. 
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »

It's really interesting to read all these posts about the new smilies  ... and i believe all of you are right !
I've  sent 10 posts and i used smilies just because it's a bit difficult for me to express my mood or my emotions in a few words, my anglo-american is too bad and just "a little" too scolar ! So some of these smilies are
sometime really useful .  I can understand what you all are talking about on this wonderful website but i'm too weak to explain everything i'd like to say !  :'( :'( :)

Your English is good, don't worry about that.  Its the content of your posts that the board cares about  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »

Your English is just fine! I like to use smiles too, but I find myself using them less, because I dislike these new ones so much.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2005, 12:52:08 AM »

:) Thanks all of you !
Yes Auvergne is relly nice, and we've got a lot of snow for several weeks !  :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005, 05:20:20 AM »

I find myself using them less, because I dislike these new ones so much.

I still use smilies just as much, but now I have to type out all the URLs every time I want to throw in a smiley. It's a lot more work than just typing a :) or ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T