News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Steven Seagal todays young Clint Eastwood... [1994 article]  (Read 17438 times)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2004, 11:50:43 AM »

He also ran in The dead pool and for Mayor.  ;)

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2004, 03:31:26 PM »

JEET KUNE DO: Founded by Bruce Lee, which in and of itself speaks volumes. Its philosophy was one of no philosophy, that everyone had to find their own style thru multiple methods of training. FAULT: The inventor of the style was physically gifted, and the same results could not be reproduced.

AMERICAN KENPO: My Art, founded by Edmond K. Parker. Deals with real life scenarios in modern day (what are the actual chances that when you face someone today, you will either have nunchuku on you, or will be faced with someone with a pair?). A very brutal art. FAULT: Another overskill art...takes years to perfect. IF YOU DO, you can honestly say you know every possible creative way to kill a person, or a group.

GRACIE JU JITSU: Founded by the Gracie family. Also the founders of the UFC, by which they issued a challenge that no one could beat their art, and anyone from any walk of life could come in for a real time fight. In other words, put up or shut up. Deals with a lot of grappling and groundfighting. FAULT: Can only fight one assailant at a time, unless you know how to hug a group of people.

SCARS: Founded by Jerry Peterson. Created for dilluted quick hand to hand training course for Navy Seals.  A very VERY diullted form of American Kenpo. Again, teaching lethal strikes (chops to throat) and completely alleviates any type of defense at all, which IS good. Defensive mindsets will get you killed (please take note..defensive wounds are a term you hear when they examine a body at the morgue). FAULT: To learn this art, you can literally pick it up in one weekend at Jerry Petersons school, and the movements are so easy they never leave your memory, nor do you need to constantly practice them. THE COST is sky high.

In short, Steven Segal doesnt even bust top five of a practial martial art that would really work on the street.

I farted around with shotokan many years ago and didn't find it practical enough.  I took some Krav Maga classes a year or so ago to learn the basics - though admittedly probably a slightly dliuted form - and found them VERY practical in real life situations.
  Sorry to get off topic...but its an interesting subject.

bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2004, 04:34:06 PM »

I like those arts...but they are similar to the same problem of Jeet Kune Do.

You have to have a physical health level to perform them well. Physically fit anyway. Average person still needs an art that doesnt comply with physical fitness. One has nothing to do with the other.

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2004, 05:40:26 PM »

"You have to have a physical health level to perform them well."

I do so it works for me :)  I read Lee's book "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" a long time ago.  It was very good read, though I didn't practice any of the moves, strikes, etc...

dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2004, 07:58:38 AM »

Iīll admit that seagals knowledge on Aikido is pretty impressive. especially in Nico which i consider his best movie ever, but letīs look at what similarities Clint and Eastwood got.
They are both moviestars with a lot of loyal fans, and they have both been declared the next new huge actionstar at one point. Thatīs it!!!

When seagal came out in Nico he was said to be the best thing in martial combat since chuck norris. (NOOO, DONT MENTION VAN DAMME!!!! ;D) The nearest eastwood got in the fighting department was in every which way to win/loose. So of course seagal would kick clints ass fightwise. Actingwise, stylewise, coolwise, and pretty much everything else clint would be the victorious.
It seems obvious that the article predicts that seagal would have the same impact in martial arts movies as clint had on the western genre...
Sadly that was not to be the case, but remember that martial art actors usually ends up doing shoddy movies, (mainly because the fans wants to see some cool fighting first, THEN "good" acting, which mens that a good scribt suffers on behalf on actionsquences :'(  Iīm a huge martial artist fan, but i got to admit that when i go and watch a kung fu flick i go for the cool moves, not shakespearian acting  ;))
I think that is the reason why many martial artists ends up on the direct-to-video moviecategory because they cant always star in the next Hero or crouching tiger, hidden dragon flick.

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

Aikido is definitely one skill I'd like to learn. Just stayed in a town that had a "Brazillian Ju-Jitsu" studio. Now that would be another handy thing to master. That ultimate fighting stuff is bad to the bone.....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 12:56:51 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2004, 09:01:11 AM »

i'd have to agree with this statement, steven seagal is definately today's young clint eastwood!  steven seagal out ranks other Hollywood male actors in everything, acting, believability, screen persona and presence, and global and spritual awareness that ties in with the attraction of fans world-wide, and the life time experience of dominating his own atmosphere and the atmosphere of others,but with compassion and discernment. steven seagal for "secretart of defense" !
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2004, 09:03:48 AM »

my apologies, steven seagal for "secretary of defense" !
misty71

I'm a guitar player

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2004, 04:16:25 AM »

:othis thread is still going on?

I went to a friends house the other day and had to sit through a seagal movie (one I hadnt seen before)...this time it was half past dead...how was it?

Well lets say at the end I was half past dead bored  :-X

oh now I see a resemblance to eastwood-they both did a movie about alcatraz

:P

no really..seagal is unbearable to me

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."
 Keith Richards
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2004, 04:18:32 AM »

yep and me - stilted, boring, non-actor

maybe a matial artist but no actor

has he done anything like josey wales, unforgiven, perfect world, where eagles dare, escape from alcatraz  - where he is called to act

look dumb and silly and deliver appalling lines - like the cruise ship thingy - umm i seen that

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 04:22:49 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2004, 04:55:56 AM »

According to this journalist, it is no longer a question.  Steven Seagal IS the new Clint Eastwood.

By Chris Hicks,  Deseret News movie critic

Well, it's no longer accurate to call Steven Seagal a Clint Eastwood wannabe. He has now officially become Clint Eastwood.

In fact, his movies are more popular than Eastwood's these days. His latest, "Out for Justice," earned $10 1/2 million over its first weekend. Studio accountants are, needless to say, sitting up and taking notice.

Furthermore, Seagal is now co-producing his movies — and if the gossip mill is to be believed, he's also pointing the camera, dominating the editing room and doing everything else except going for coffee.

full article here: http://deseretnews.com/movies/view/1,1257,1374,00.html

WKC.

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2004, 05:57:19 AM »

Does anyone besides me find it strange to come to the Clint Eastwood Web Board and click on "Recent Posts" only to find that none of the last ten posts have anything to do with Clint Eastwood?

The article you gave us a link to is thirteen years old (1991) and discusses the third out of twenty-two films done by Seagal.  He is a martial artists film maker which THAT along with many other things, in my opinion, keeps him from being the next Clint Eastwood and I personally find that a somewhat ridiculous comparison.

I don't think that in the thirteen years since that article he has made any other movies that would lead me to draw a parallel between him and Clint Eastwood in any way.

Isn't there a Steven Seagal web board somewhere that you might find people more interested in this actor?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2004, 10:36:15 AM »

Isn't there a Steven Seagal web board somewhere that you might find people more interested in this actor?

mgk your giving Seagel too much credit. First you imply he has alot of fans (somebody would actually make a message board for him?) then you call him an actor?

:P ;D
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2004, 10:27:06 PM »

Hey mgk, the '91 article was a good natured joke.  Somebody revived the thread, and I find it amusing, go figure...

WKC.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 10:27:52 PM by wkc » Logged

donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »

it'd be cool to see clint displaying some of his martial art skills in a new film. like the way he did in "for a few dollars"  more, this would give clint a good reaction for today's fans, like how seagal uses martial skills in his movies to attract audieneces to the box offices
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:11:20 PM by Matt » Logged
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2005, 12:04:07 PM »

What Martial art skills are these i thought Clint was an outright pugilist

« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:11:44 PM by Matt » Logged

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2005, 12:27:39 PM »

like how seagal uses martial skills in his movies to attract audieneces to the box offices

BEST LINE EVER!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:11:54 PM by Matt » Logged
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2005, 12:31:35 PM »

I cant say he has ever attracted me to the cinema with his martial skills,,, this use of akido to attract punters when did this last happen please and is this because he cant act he has to rely on martial arts  lol.

Oh has anyone ever noticed how seagal runs like a woman
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:12:06 PM by Matt » Logged

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »

BEST LINE EVER!! ;D
but seagal also performs with convincing acting skills as well too
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:12:17 PM by Matt » Logged
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2005, 12:37:31 PM »

I cant say he has ever attracted me to the cinema with his martial skills,,, this use of akido to attract punters when did this last happen please and is this because he cant act he has to rely on martial arts  lol.

Oh has anyone ever noticed how seagal runs like a woman
i've noticed that seagal runs like a woman too. i've also noticed that eastwood is aging! LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 01:12:26 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T