News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do i add another members quote to my thread please  (Read 8731 times)
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2005, 03:04:10 PM »

I have been posting on this site for some time and it is often useful to quote someone else's post, so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise

:-\

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »

Please advise

I just quoted a part of your post, and I'll lead you through how I did it.

1) Go to the person's post that you want to quote. At the top right of their post, you will see this: .  Click on it.

2) That will open up a reply box with the member's entire post, and you'll see their post surrounded by tags that identify the user and the post. The quote tags will look like this [ quote]  [ /quote]  (without the spaces after the opening brackets, which I added so the tags would show up here).  The first tag will include other information, such as the user's name and the date of the post that you're quoting.

3) You can now go into the quoted text, and remove what you're not responding to, if you want. I did this here to your quote...  I've only decided to quote "Please advise".

4)  Post as usual, or preview first to make sure it looks right.

It's easy, but it gets a little more complicated if you want to break up a person's post to write things inbetween their parts... like this:

I have been posting on this site for some time

Yup, and it's been great having you here.

and it is often useful to quote someone else's post

Right.

so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise

No problem!

Okay, so quoting the little bits of this small post of yours to intersperse dialogue here was a bit ridiculous. But there may be a longer post that you may want to reply to bit by bit in your response. To do this, you'll need to manually put an end quote tag ([ /quote] (without the space)) where you want to stop a member's quote to write your own text.  When you want to continue their quote, you'll need to surround that text with quote tags. You can always use the quote button   too. This will give you quotes that look like all but the first one in my reply here. The first quote gives the user's name that you're quoting, the thread ID, and a link to bring you to that person's quote.  The rest of the quotes in the thread don't need all that information, so long as you're quoting the same member.

Now, if you want to quote more than one member's post in your post... it gets even trickier. But I won't go into that here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 01:39:44 PM by Matt » Logged
slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 04:36:53 PM »

I just quoted a part of your post, and I'll lead you through how I did it.

By Jove i think i've got it many thanks and may i say i really enjoy being part of this superior website

Cheers Matt

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 04:39:43 PM »

Good job!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:11:19 PM »

I've noticed we now have a new option for this. When you hit "Reply" in a thread, the last several messages in the thread appear underneath the "message" box ... all of the thread, if it's short enough. If you want to quote anything in any of those messages, you can now just scroll down and hit the "Insert Quote" link in whatever post you like ...

I have been posting on this site for some time and it is often useful to quote someone else's post, so far i do this by saying such a body says " and then cutting and posting that piece of text, but i have noticed that other people do this differently,

Please advise

... and insert it wherever you want it. (Of course, you can then edit out the parts you don't want to quote.)

Now, if you want to quote more than one member's post in your post... it gets even trickier. But I won't go into that here.

Much less tricky now, if the posts can be quoted using this option! 
slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »

Posted by: KC  Posted on: Today at 06:11:19 AM 
Insert Quote 
I've noticed we now have a new option for this. When you hit "Reply" in a thread, the last several messages in the thread appear underneath the "message" box ... all of the thread, if it's short enough. If you want to quote anything in any of those messages, you can now just scroll down and hit the "Insert Quote" link in whatever post you like ...

Your right you know cheers its soo easy

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »

I'm so glad you asked that question Slacker because I had been trying to work out how to get quotes in my posts too.  Thanks for the answers folks. :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 05:22:56 PM »

Much less tricky now, if the posts can be quoted using this option!

That IS easier now! Of course, if you want to quote members from two different threads... it's still tricky. (I just had to say that to try to be difficult.)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 09:37:42 PM »

Posted by: KC  Posted on: Today at 06:11:19 AM 
Insert Quote 

Slacker, I wonder why you quoted me, and yet it doesn't appear as a quote? I wonder if you possibly copied and pasted my message? ???

Let me quote myself:
When you hit "Reply" in a thread, the last several messages in the thread appear underneath the "message" box ... If you want to quote anything in any of those messages, you can now just scroll down and hit the "Insert Quote" link in whatever post you like ...

... and insert it wherever you want it. (Of course, you can then edit out the parts you don't want to quote.)

With this method, there is no selecting and no copying and pasting. ALL you do is hit "Reply" ... then, scroll down the page till you come to the post you want to quote. Then click the link "Insert quote."

A little white box will pop up and the title bar will say "Retrieving quote." Then, the post you want to quote will be inserted into the "Message" box, complete with a link and "Quote" tags.

Of course, you can always use the method Matt outlined, instead. With that method, you hit the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button.  Or, you can use both methods, as I did here: First the "Quote" button on the post you want to reply directly to, then the "Insert quote" link on any other posts you want to quote all or part of.

I'm afraid I'm not very good at explaining things like this, so if anyone still has trouble ... maybe Matt can come to the rescue.  8)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 09:48:26 AM »

KC you got through to me and I am a dummy when it comes to understanding how to do things on the computer.  I usually mess about until I get them right however your instructions work for me. :)   I had a practice then removed the posts as they were just test cases.! :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 09:38:43 PM »

Glad I could help., Lin!

I just discovered another good thing about the new setup. If you're replying to a post but you didn't quote it because it's the last post in the thread ... and then, after you post, you discover your post has "turned the page" so it's not so obvious what you're replying to, and you want that quote in after all ...

Just hit the "Modify" button. Not only does it re-open your post for editing, but underneath it will be the recent posts with an "Insert quote" link, just like they were when you posted in the first place. So you can insert one or more quotes right from the editing screen to put your brilliant repartee in a better context, and save the changes before that line "Last edit" gets added to the post.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 11:31:18 PM »

Thank you KC   That is another one to remember,  One of these days I will be able to do most anything on this board.  All your advice is printed off in a little file.   You're  famous in my house. :D :D :D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 04:11:33 AM »

I've noticed occasionally this does not work for me.Has anyone else noticed this.It worked tonight when I quoted the above post from KC,but last night and on rare occasions in the past when I scroll down and click on "insert post" nothing happens???

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 05:09:59 AM »

Yes tgy,  that has happened to me a number of  times too.   If it wont pick up the post I want to quote I go back to the thread and hit the quote button.   It is easier to quote from the messages in the thread if you can see so many of them.   I thought it was because some of the ones I was trying to quote had only just been posted but that doesn't seem to be the problem.   It does appear to be an intermittent fault.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »

Thanks Lin,thought it may have been only me,but it's must be one of those gremlins that get in the system every now and then. :)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T