News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood Film Discussions  (Read 63068 times)
Cindy

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory!"

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2003, 10:25:05 AM »

I know it is a little late in the game to be replying to this movie but I thought I would give my two cents.
I did not like the film when I first saw...dismissing it as a pro-adultry film :P.
However, I saw it recently and discovered much more in the movie. First, it is a wonderfully  made film..cleanex please--no question about that. Brilliantly acted and directed!! Second, it is not a film about pro-adultry. Pro-adultry would have had them get together in the end (that is today's standard--if it makes you happy go for it regardless of who gets hurt.) This film had her staying with her family because of moral obligations to them. I commend her for NOT telling her husband and distroying him and at that time (1950s) her children couldn't have lived down the gossip not to mention how this would have distroyed their lives. I loved what she says to Robert, "What will my daughter think? This is what you do?"
Divorce was certainly not the quick resolve back in Iowa, small town, 1950s.  Women didn't have as many choices as they do now.
Personally, taking this to her grave would have been the best, but then we wouldn't have had a movie.  ;)
Watch it again and listen to the dialogue Francesca says, comments like, "had I left with Robert what we had would not have continued" etc.
This was her fantasy and it kept her alive all those years on the farm. See the film and look beyond your own moral ethics...I know it is hard to do trust me it was for me too.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2003, 10:47:29 AM »

Thanks, Cindy. If anyone else still has comments on Bridges, the Bridges topics are still available, and will be through this week, in the "Previous Film Discussions" forum right underneath this one.

I think your post would fit in the "Audience reaction: Your emotions" topic, so I'm going to quote it down there.

Of course, after this week, if anyone has comments on Bridges, feel free to start a new topic in the "General" forum.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 10:50:35 AM by KC » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2003, 01:38:46 PM »

Just a reminder...

We'll be locking the Bridges discussions tomorrow night, so if anyone hasn't gotten around to posting their thoughts in any of those threads (located in the Previous Film Discussions forum), please try to get your posts in tonight or tomorrow.

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 05:13:48 PM »

Do we have to lock the previous discussion just yet?  I appreciate that we want to concentrate attention on the current discussion (haven't got myself caught up on that yet but hope to soon), but it seems like there is still an awful lot that could be discussed in the Bridges threads.  Maybe I've just been a bit too slow to get all my thoughts together...but if we left it open a bit longer we might get some more participation. ???  Any further comments people wish to make could then be kept together with the rest of the threads, rather than getting separated in the other forums.  I don't think the volume of posts would be sufficient to distract from the current discussion.

Maybe I'm being biased towards my fave Bridges, but it's just a thought.  :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 06:21:26 PM »

How long do you need to get your thoughts together, Lilly? I wouldn't mind posting a bit more in a couple of the threads myself. Is another day enough time?
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2003, 06:54:37 PM »

:) Any time would be cool; I just find that new things only become apparent after you've digested the film at leisure.  Can't say I wouldn't like longer than a day, but I can't guarantee I'd post much very soon either, so I guess if we have to draw the line somewhere, then one more day would be great. 8)  Thanks. :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2003, 05:43:06 PM »

The board is going through a very slow period right now, as most have probably noticed. KC, mgk and I agree that it doesn't seem right to move on to further film discussions when we're only seeing two or three members participating in the ones that we've already presented. At this time, we're considering a halt to further Biweekly Film Discussions until we see more activity on the board and until the two discussions that we have active on the board now (Hang 'em High and Play Misty for Me) generate more interest and more posts. We hope that in the next few weeks, we can continue to offer further film discussions, but it's really up to our member participation if they are to continue.

We would like to thank those members who have participated in the discussions that we've presented, especially those who have gone out of their way to watch the films specifically to join in the discussions, and those who have really given a lot of thought and a lot of their time to the posts they've made in these discussions. But even these members have to be discouraged that their posts aren't receiving much response from the rest of the board.

When things pick up more, if there's a show of interest in this continuing, we'll start up again.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2003, 10:15:31 PM »

Sorry to hear that.

I really wish I could participate in these discussions, its just I cant find the time right now.

Maybe when all the school projects we're being stricken with calm down later next month, I'll be able to join in.

Again, I'm sorry to hear this, but I guess your right, its kind of pointless to just have five or six members participating.
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2003, 01:09:07 PM »

:( Yes, I am VERY sorry to hear that too. I'm sorry I didn't post anything on Play Misty for me yet, but I am one of the members who "have to go out of their way" to even GET the movie! But, if everything works out, I will be posting next week.
    I have to admit here, that the only reason I ever registered on this board were the current film discussions. I had come to read a little on the board before, but I never felt the need to post anything. But the idea of discussing a film in depth, like we used to do it with literature in school, that IS a great idea. That's what I registered for. And without this discussion, I would certainly never have watched Hang'em High (again).  :) I don't have a TV, so these movies don't just happen to me, I have to get organized to see them. So, it's true, Nightwing, it does take some time. What I'm not so sure about is, if I really have much more time to do this than you do. I work, I am a mother, and as said above, I don't have these movies, I have to organize to get them. (not always easy, I can tell you). So here is my suggestion: let's pause a while, maybe until Agent and Lilly will be back from their holidays. But then I would be very happy if we could go on again. And, Nightwing, maybe you could make an effort and join us  ;)

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2003, 11:27:38 PM »

Thanks, bcm... it's good to hear from you.

I also received a private e-mail from another member, and since it's a direct criticism of the film discussions, I would rather address the concerns here on the board, than off it.  This way, rather than just explaining how I feel to one person, I can address the concerns to the entire board and maybe it will include things other members have been thinking and haven't mentioned...

Concern #1:  The movies that have been chosen to be discussed have not been good choices.

What one member may not like, other members do like.  We haven't hit on some of the biggest films like Dirty Harry or Unforgiven yet, but every film that we have discussed so far was a major moment in Eastwood's career...   Bridges:  One of his most successful films of later years and a directorial masterpiece.  Hang 'em High:  Eastwood's first American western and the first film that he actively pursued being involved in.  Play Misty for Me:  Eastwood's directorial debut, and a fan favorite.

Not only do all these films represent huge moments in Eastwood's career, but they are films that haven't been discussed much lately on the board.  We did not want to discuss any of the Spaghettis when we have the" Steak & Potatoes" thread still active on the board, and many of the other best known Eastwood films have been discussed in depth lately as well, so we were hoping to bring up for discussion those films that members shouldn't be a little burned out on discussing right now.  That being said... if we continue with these bi-weekly film discussions, it's only a matter of time before ALL Eastwood's films are discussed, the great and the not-so-great.  So whether a member wants to discuss a film they aren't too fond of shouldn't really matter... there's much to be learned of Eastwood's style and his career choices in even the lesser films.  If you dissect any of his films and really look at them, you'll learn something.  Who would have guessed that Firefox, a film that most members would say is rated toward the bottom of their Eastwood favorites list, would inspire one of the best discussions of the board in recent years... good enough that I would take the time to bring over the 50+ posts of the discussion from the old board to this one.  

Concern #2:  Too many questions in each film discussion

This is something that we've been concerned of as well, and we've tried to eliminate all of the questions that we didn't feel would be worth discussing,  but if we're going to discuss a film in-depth, and like bcm said... as one would discuss a book in a literature course... then we're going to try to cover all areas of the film.  We've broken each film down to five or six areas, and have titled each question into one of those areas so that each member can concentrate on only one aspect of the film if they'd like... maybe it would be the film's style, or maybe they'd rather discuss the acting, or maybe even just the business aspects of it (specifically for those who love to discuss box-office revenue and advertising and promotion of the films).  If even each of our Eastwood fans on this board would just pick one area of each film they'd like to discuss and only read the 2-10 questions in that category and give their opinions there, imagine how much discussion we'd see in this section of the board.

Concern #3:  The questions are too hard and ask too much of each member to think about.

Well, the point of the film discussions IS to make members think... to view the films from a different perspective rather than just entertainment... to really start to see aspects of the film-making process that they may not have noticed before.  We're hoping that these film discussions will not only be entertaining, but that members will maybe learn something through this... and through what other people pick up on the films.  I know that I've seen the films that we've discussed several times, but that I've learned a lot about each of the three films, not only from watching them through a different point of view, but because some of our members have done the same and have posted some incredible posts in these discussions that I've learned from.    All that being said, there are plenty of questions that don't require much thought... such as "what did you think of so and so's performance?"  If questions on Style and Technique are too difficult, focus on the Acting or Audience Reaction sections of the discussion.

Basically, it sounds like a lot of members like the idea of the film discussions but don't have time to discuss the films in depth.  So, I'm asking that if that's the case and you'd like to see them continue, pick a category of the five or six that we offer on each film and just respond to those questions.  If even half our members would do that much... the film discussions would kick ass.  8)

These discussions are a lot of work for mgk, KC and myself, but we are more than happy... even thrilled... to offer them and put the work into them if our members participate in them.  We'll continue with the next film, Absolute Power when activity on the board, or in the film discussions we already have on the board, picks up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 11:34:49 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2003, 11:43:37 PM »

That's very well put, Matt. I don't know of another program like this on the Internet. I'm very proud of what we moderators and those of the members who have actively participated have already accomplished with this, and I look forward to its continuing ... which I'm sure it will after not too long a pause.   8)

I don't think it's too much to ask of the members of the Eastwood Web Board to watch a given Eastwood film once in a while, and to watch it purposely with the intention of discussing it in depth with other fans who have also just watched it. Do you know how much university extension programs charge for courses like this? Here, you can have it all for free!  :D
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2003, 11:55:41 PM »

:)I can't improve on anything you have said, Matt, and I think you have covered important points.  One of the things I would like to reinforce is that, even though the questions may appear somewhat difficult and we wanted each person to watch the films again so the details would be fresh in their mind, we didn't expect anyone to have to slave over any response they would like to make.  If you feel like you can comment on only one portion of a question, then we would love to hear what you have to say.  If comparing a film to other Eastwood films or Leone's films or someone else's films is difficult for you, I can relate.  If you don't know what was used as symbolism, I can relate.  But, a lot of the questions just ask how you "feel" about something or if you liked or disliked a particular charactor or actor.  Everyone can comment on those types of questions and we'd love for you to.

As far as the films we have chosen so far, Matt is exactly right...these last two were stepping stones in Eastwood's career and important to discuss.  The Bridges of Madison County is so well liked and such a wonderful film that we started with it hoping to get everyone interested.  We'll get to your favorite ones eventually but, in the meantime, we'd like for you to join us in the ones that aren't in your top ten.

Hopefully we can start these discussions again soon and hopefully everyone can relax and just have a good time with it.

mgk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 11:57:23 PM by mgk » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2003, 12:05:04 AM »

Well said Matt and KC.  I'd just like to say that I'm very grateful to you guys and mgk for all the effort you put into these discussions, and to everyone who joined in.  I'm sorry I've got behind lately, but I've finally watched Hang 'Em High and intend to join in some more.  Since I study a science subject, it's not often that I get to write about something in the arts field, and I have really enjoyed thinking and writing in a different way, with such stimulating Board members.  As KC says, you wouldn't get much more stimulating questions on a college film course!  I agree with KC that this forum is very special on the Web, in the way we have a real community and serious discussions.  It's true that posting can be very time-consuming, but I have found it worthwhile.  There is much truth in the saying "you get out what you put in".  I have learnt a great deal from this Board, and the film discussions forum is the most educative part.  Such thoughtfulness is what sets this site apart from other run-of-the-mill fan sites, and I think Clint would be gratified to know that people are using the Web for serious appreciation of his work.  

Matt, I agree with your points; the film choices have been very good.  Hang 'Em High is not a film I would normally have hurried to see, but because of the discussion I have seen it and appreciated it in a critical way that I might not have if it weren't for this Board.  

One thought: maybe it would be worthwhile to extend the period of each discussion?  If a particular discussion comes up during a hectic couple of weeks it can be difficult to get it together in the time.  Perhaps a longer timeframe would enable more people who visit the Board less frequently to join in.  Anyway, I'll try to post more than I have lately, and look forward to future discussions... :)
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2003, 05:56:56 PM »

Well I agree with all of you! Discussing Clint's films in depth is a great idea and this should definitely continue! I've enjoyed reading everybody's comments, posted a few of my own  :o  and I too have learned a lot!

As for the films chosen so far...great choices, but then any film you pick out, there's loads to talk about in each one, so you can't go wrong.

Maybe extending the discussions to one per month would give people more time to get hold of the current film being discussed? I've only just got Misty on dvd today (30th Anniversary edition...wahey!!), I have seen it before but it's been a couple of years, so I'll be watching it again this week.

I realise many people have registered on the board but hardly ever (or never) join in, so I wonder if it might be a good idea for one of the moderators to send out an email to all members once a month inviting them to join in the film discussions?  

Well just a thought... :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2003, 06:42:24 PM »

Hi badguy, and thanks for your response.

The way we've settled on doing the discussions is to start a new one every two weeks, but the film discussion that moves out of the way for the new one is still open for discussion for an additional two weeks.  So each film is actually active on the board for a month.  But, instead of just doing one film a month, by doing a film every two weeks, we'll be able to discuss all of Eastwood's films inside two years.  If we only did one film a month, it would take four years to get to them all.  And I can't commit to anything for THAT long.  ;D

As for writing everyone who registers to encourage them to post... I think our board is friendly to newcomers.  If they take that big step to posting once, they're usually welcomed and encouraged... on the board.  It's a nice idea to think of privately writing every member who comes by the board and registers, but if you realized how much time goes into moderating the board as it is... especially with the film discussions we prepare, you'd see that the "welcoming" would be pushing the limits on how much time even we die-hard fans and board lovers can really spend here.   I think, basically, if our board is interesting enough for someone to register and read, eventually they should take it upon themselves to post if they want to be a part of it and they shouldn't need to be led by the hand to do so.  I've been on other message boards where it's been very hard to break in and get any response to what I've written, but I don't think this board is like that.

We've got a lot of active members who come by the board every day, but I'm not seeing them posting much, if at all, in this section.  It's discouraging that an Eastwood web board would have an Off Topic forum that is more active than all the Eastwood forums (excluding trivia and this new section) combined.  There's nothing wrong with having the Off Topic forum, I post there too... but I find it  disheartening that the most popular forum (several times over) on the Eastwood Web Board is the Off Topic forum, and meanwhile a forum dedicated to Eastwood's film discussions can go days without a single post.

So, to end the rambling that I'm doing... I'll say that everyone who is reading and not posting... if you want to post, we'd love to hear from you.  Especially in the film discussions.  

Thanks again, badguy, for your response.  Looking forward to your posts on Play Misty for Me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2003, 08:02:01 PM by Matt » Logged
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2003, 07:01:32 PM »

As some of you know , I have not been able to post much recently and I just wanted to say that all these threads seemed like a good idea and I have commented on the Hang em' high score but have not found time to do much more.
some times when a film is so well known to you it is hard to come up with much to add . I know MGK will want me to contribute to the Clint and Clyde films should they come up , but even that I would find hard because I feel all has been covered somewhere here before .
When I am back fully I will try and see what I can come up with . I studied film many years ago and apart from the structure technically of how a film moves you emotionally , I don't really have a lot of time for theories of what may or may not be there .

Philo .  

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2003, 08:22:29 PM »

Quote from Matt: It's discouraging that an Eastwood web board would have an Off Topic forum that is more active than all the Eastwood forums (excluding trivia and this new section) combined.  There's nothing wrong with having the Off Topic forum, I post there too... but I find it  disheartening that the most popular forum (several times over) on the Eastwood Web Board is the Off Topic forum, and meanwhile a forum dedicated to Eastwood's film discussions can go days without a single post.
That's a real good point, and I can understand that, but "Off Topic" is an awfully broad topic. All things un-Eastwood related is all other things (I know I'm stating the obvious here).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2003, 08:54:48 PM »

Chris, there actually is a place to post about "all things un-Eastwood related," and it isn't the Off Topic Forum.

It's called the Internet ... and all the OTHER web boards out there that are named something besides "The Clint Eastwood Discussion Board."

I know a lot of us have become real good friends here, and it's fun to talk with your friends about everything under the sun, not just whatever brought you together in the first place. On the other hand, unless you have reason to believe that your topic will be of interest to lots of people who frequent this board, and not just to one or two ... why not send an e-mail or a private message instead?

Just MHO.  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2003, 09:01:47 PM »

When I am back fully I will try and see what I can come up with . I studied film many years ago and apart from the structure technically of how a film moves you emotionally , I don't really have a lot of time for theories of what may or may not be there .

Philo .  
That's fine, Philo, post whenever you can. There's no one more qualified than you to talk about things like that, "the structure technically of how a film moves you emotionally," and we'd love to hear what you have to say.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2003, 09:23:35 PM »

Thanks KC ,

I will do my best  .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T