News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »

Poll

who else like this film

clint eastwood web board
22 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bridges of Madison County  (Read 89064 times)
Francesca Kincaid

Anything but a simple woman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2007, 11:41:26 PM »

Hi Canadian Lady.  :)  I look forward to discussing it too.  I just posted in that thread.  It is an interesting topic.
Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2007, 11:14:38 PM »

Is the Thomas Garrett book Building Bridges:  The Phenomena & Making of The Bridges of Madison County much different than the Ken Regan one?  Are there more interviews in it?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2007, 11:58:35 PM »

The Garrett book is very different from the Regan one. It's a 200-page small-format paperback entirely about the background and making of the film, beginning with the publication of the book in 1992. There are 30 pages of black and white photographs and it includes interview material with many involved in the book and film, from Robert James Waller to the citizens of Winterset, and of course Eastwood, Streep & Co. (though there are no footnotes and the sources of the quotations are not identified). The format is chronological, with entries for each day during the actual shoot.

It's certainly worth picking up if you're a Bridges fan!
Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »

Sounds good!  I was thinking of getting it but didn't know much about it.  Thanks KC.  :)
Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »

I just found an interview about Bridges with Meryl but it's overdubbed in French.  You can hear her talking in English too, but the French dubbing overpowers a lot of what she says, so I didn't really get to hear all of it.  I know some French, but I'm far from fluent.  I understood some of this, but not all of it.

You can download it here:

http://www.gotmedia.org/meryl/tv-19950905france2lejournal.zip

Could someone who speaks French please translate some of this, the hard to understand parts?  Thanks if you can.  :)

I'm glad I finally found an interview about this.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »

Yoo hoo, AB? :)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2007, 08:19:03 AM »

I love this film. But the ending, ohh that ending is a killer.  :'(

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:09 AM »

Haha...The one option poll is at...drum roll...100 percent!   8)

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2007, 06:53:23 AM »

Could someone who speaks French please translate some of this, the hard to understand parts?  Thanks if you can.  :)

I'm glad I finally found an interview about this.

Yoo hoo, AB? :)

I'll gladly do it, Francesca  :)

By the way, that's a great find!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:55:54 AM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
wilky1974

"Broad Sword calling Danny Boy"

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »

I think Bridges has all of the features of a great film - acting, cinematography, music, etc....  But to be honest, I'm another one of those people who find the story itself, unbearable.  Although realistic to many people, it makes my stomach turn to think about a wife & mother cheating on her husband and family.  I feel tremendous sadness for the children who have to find this out, and although I'm sure they still have love for their mother, I can't help but wonder if they have lost much respect for her.  I feel sorry for the husband too.  I'm sure he wasn't 100% happy with Francesca, but that's life....love takes work.....and this story makes love into a fairytale type of thing which isn't realistic at all.

It's a sad story.  Now if she would have been in long relationship, not being married, and with no children, then I could have enjoyed it more.  Although yes, that would have weakened the impact of the emotions and the burden she had on her heart.

"You know you're gonna look awfully silly with that knife sticking up your ass!"
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »

Here's a transcript/translation (a little mix of what the reporter and Streep were saying, especially when the dubbing made Streep's words barely understandable):

Streep: I feel at home here. It's very ... it's a ... I just feel like myself here. I don't know who I feel like in Los Angeles. I feel like Meryl Streep -I think.

Reporter: We've met with Meryl Streep early one morning in Stockbridge, Mass., near the place where she has chosen to settle with her husband -a sculptor, and her four kids. A landscape that is surprisingly reminiscent of Madison County where Francesca, the woman she plays in the film, lives.

Streep: This is a complicated character that awakens during the movie.
She only devoted time to herself and to her family, her horizon was already defined by the life she had been living up to this point.
Then comes a man who makes her realize the infinite possibilities to live her life.
It's a wonderful story, a fantasy. But there's something real in terms of the longing, what it expresses about human beings never giving up a dream.

Reporter: Francesca is sensual, but she is very reserved, her hands in her lap, hiding her sexuality.

Streep: Middle life. You feel her, her body singing. The music has a lot to do with it, because usually when you shoot a film, the music is composed later, but Clint had a very clear idea of the kind of music that he wanted.
I imagined him to be very remote, giving nothing away, inaccessible, and it was almost the opposite, the man that I encountered. And I think that he may be remotely inaccessible, but he had made a decision on this film to access a part of himself (another aspect of his personality)

Reporter: Would you like to work with a French director?

Streep: If the director really has something he wants to make, and he feels strongly about it, then I know I want to do it. Plus I can speak French, you know!

Reporter: Could you say a few words in French?

Streep: Pardon my poor French.

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »

Thanks very much AB!!  :) :)

There was quite a bit in there I couldn't understand before.

This is the only video interview I've ever found of either one of them pertaining to this...and still almost no print ones either.  So I'm glad I found this & you told me what she actually said!  8)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »

Glad I could help! And thanks again for posting it here  O0

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »

I think Bridges has all of the features of a great film - acting, cinematography, music, etc....  But to be honest, I'm another one of those people who find the story itself, unbearable.  Although realistic to many people, it makes my stomach turn to think about a wife & mother cheating on her husband and family.  I feel tremendous sadness for the children who have to find this out, and although I'm sure they still have love for their mother, I can't help but wonder if they have lost much respect for her.  I feel sorry for the husband too.  I'm sure he wasn't 100% happy with Francesca, but that's life....love takes work.....and this story makes love into a fairytale type of thing which isn't realistic at all.

It's a sad story.  Now if she would have been in long relationship, not being married, and with no children, then I could have enjoyed it more.  Although yes, that would have weakened the impact of the emotions and the burden she had on her heart.

Well put, and I agree.  We've had some "knock down drag out" discussions on the cheating aspect in the past, the majority of which are in the thread below.

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=6070.0

Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2007, 12:16:29 AM »

Glad I could help! And thanks again for posting it here  O0

No problem.  :)
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2007, 02:44:11 PM »

I am puzzled as I am hoping that this is the correct thread for this post. I did in fact click on the other one listed and as I went to post it said it had been 120 days etc. I thought I would indeed post one here.

I too have had discussions with some of my other woman friends about the fact that Francesca a married woman was having an affair with another man.  This is how I looked at it.  Francesca was a war bride and came to this country to settle down with a good man. AND he was a good man. She was young and as I like to think had not had much experience in terms of her feelings toward men. When Robert came his presence excited her. She began to experience feelings that she hadn't. It was like an awakening. She truly fell in love and it was a passionate love. It is one of the most powerful human feelings. BUT Francesca was also a good woman. She knew that giving into those powerful feelings would have hurt deeply a man who did in fact love her and of course more importantly her children. I do believe in the real world that had she gone off with Robert it would have ended up destroying what they had. The scene when she was hanging on to the door handle and he was standing there in the rain is when she truly knew that however much she wanted to go she could not. Thankfully it is what saved her. I must admit when Robert died and she received his belongings was even more touching. What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 07:10:09 PM by lovelyrita » Logged
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »

I am puzzled as I am hoping that this is the correct thread for this post. I did in fact click on the other one listed and as I went to post it said it had been 120 days etc. I thought I would indeed post one here.

I too have had discussions with some of my other woman friends about the fact that Francesca a married woman was having an affair with another man.  This is how I looked at it.  Francesca was a war bride and came to this country to settle down with a good man. AND he was a good man. She was young and as I like to think had not had much experience in terms of her feelings toward men. When Robert came his presence excited her. She began to experience feelings that she hadn't. It was like an awakening. She truly fell in love and it was a passionate love. It is one of the most powerful human feelings. BUT Francesca was also a good woman. She knew that giving into those powerful feelings would have hurt deeply a man who did in fact love her and of course more importantly her children. I do believe in the real world that had she gone off with Robert it would have ended up destroying what they had. The scene when she was hanging on to the door handle and he was standing there in the rain is when she truly knew that however much she wanted to go she could not. Thankfully it is what saved her. I must admit when Robert died and she received his belongings was even more touching. What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle. 

Wonderful post lovelyrita!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Francesca Kincaid

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #257 on: September 26, 2007, 10:18:31 PM »

I agree, very well put, lovelyrita.  :)

No matter how sad the ending was and though I would have liked her to have left with Robert, I know that the movie wouldn't have had the impact it did if it had a happy ending. 

She was torn and she put her family first when she made her decision. 

I watched the new movie Evening last night, which Meryl Streep has a small role in.  There was a line in it that made me think of Bridges, it relates to what you said about how if she would've went with Robert, it would've destroyed what they had.

The woman played by Vanessa Redgrave says, "I was married to Harris for forty years, too...we just never saw each other the whole time."  Then the woman she's talking to says, "Sometimes it's better that way."

It made me think of Bridges because Robert & Francesca loved each other for the rest of their lives for many years, though they never saw each other in that time.  Their love lasted and stayed strong.  Had they actually been together, maybe it wouldn't have.  It may've destroyed what they had, which Francesca said something about at the end of the movie.  I'd like to think that's not true, that they would've lived happily ever after together...but it never happened that way.  :'(
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #258 on: September 26, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle. 

Thats about the nicest way I've ever heard cheating described.   8)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #259 on: September 27, 2007, 01:45:23 AM »

Lovelyrita, don't be afraid to post in a thread even though you see that warning, if you think it's the right one for what you have to say!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T