News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »

Poll

who else like this film

clint eastwood web board
22 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bridges of Madison County  (Read 89067 times)
WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

They got a sign on him in front of Greely's?

View Profile Email
« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2007, 07:19:37 AM »

Thats about the nicest way I've ever heard cheating described.   8)

hahahaha I know, I was thinking the same thing. You gotta love it.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2007, 08:32:16 AM »

What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle.

You're kidding right?
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »

I like your post lovelyrita!
What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle. 

This statement may be takin wrong by some people, I take it as.....opening Micheal and Carolyn's eyes. Like Carolyn said "She stuck it, cause that's what you do" (something to that effect). I think Micheal also looked at his life with his wife decided he maybe wasn't treating her the way he should be. And decided it was something he wanted to work on. And Carolyns, she realized to get our of her "crummy friggin marriage" cause her husband never loved her anyway, and why waste her time. This is what I take out of "never just settle".

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
lovelyrita

Yeah? Well I've got MediCare, go ahead and shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »

You were right CL I need to clarify what I meant by "What was most important is through her story it taught her children to never just settle. "
I realize I should have explained what I meant, Conan, Brendon and We........,

CL said it also.

Francesca's story helped her children when all was said and done make a healthy decision concerning their own relationships. Her son was able you assume to rekindle his marriage and her daughter realized their wasn't anything to rekindle in hers.   That is what Francesca's story taught them. That's what I was trying to convey when I used the phrase "never just settle". 

I hope this makes sense.

I love this board!!!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:10:03 PM by lovelyrita » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #264 on: September 28, 2007, 10:50:10 PM »

Like Carolyn said "She stuck it, cause that's what you do" (something to that effect).
I think I see your point too, lovelyrita  :)

Never just settle because you think that's what you're supposed to do, because that's what you've learned is "the right thing to do", because you think settling leads to happiness. It doesn't. Not if there's no strong feelings involved.

I am not sure Francesca was madly in love with her husband when she married him. There were feelings of course. Mutual respect. They deeply cared about each other, but there was never that spark, that consuming passion -things that she first experienced when she met Robert.
At least it is safe to say that she never felt as strongly for her husband as she felt for Robert. She married an American soldier because that meant living in America -the promised land in a way, for an Italian farm (?) girl who had never been out of her country. Marriage meant stability, security, nice home, kids.

But even though she got all this, her life didn't exactly turn out the way she expected it. She never felt fulfilled, accomplished, as if there had always been this void in her life, waiting to be filled. Because she only married to settle. So when Robert stormed into her life, suddenly this void was filled and her life took an unexpected turn. Their encounter led to her awakening. She never knew what love was until then. Why? Because she chose to settle. But when she realized what she had missed, it was already too late, and there was no going back, not with a family to take care of. So she made a choice. Even if that meant regretting this choice for the rest of her existence. She ended up sacrificing herself to save a life that had never made her completely happy.

So, yes, never just settle.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:32:08 AM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2007, 01:39:17 AM »

I agree that you should never just settle before getting married.  After getting married you are supposed to "settle down".

Its all about perspective.  It sounds good when your "not settling", but when your spouse is "not settling" its not so good.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:45:40 AM by Conan » Logged

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2007, 07:03:40 AM »

I agree that you should never just settle before getting married.  After getting married you are supposed to "settle down".

Its all about perspective.  It sounds good when your "not settling", but when your spouse is "not settling" its not so good.

I totally agree. I've never understood why people settle down before they're married. That never made much sense to me.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
lovelyrita

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:01 AM »

In my original post I used the phrase "to never just settle" I realize I used the wrong words. I wasn't in anyway talking about "settling down" . In your post Conan you stated :

"I agree that you should never just settle before getting married.  After getting married you are supposed to "settle down".

Its all about perspective.  It sounds good when your "not settling", but when your spouse is "not settling" its not so good."

I would agree it is all about how we see it personally but again what I was trying to convey wasn't about "settling down" or making lightly about just settling in general it was about having to make choices. Francesca made her choice not to go with Robert because she knew the hurt and pain she would have caused her family. In her children's case in sounded like her daughter was not happy and about to leave her marriage . Francesca's story was the catalyst in her decision just as was in her son's decision to stay.

We... in response to you.  I think when people use the line you have to settle down before you get married refers to the fact that you now have to think about someone else and not just about you. It is a partnership or it should be with responsibilities. Love is a wonderful thing, no doubt but with that love comes committment and responsibility. I think folks use the words "settling down" as a way of describing it. Maybe in general  a poor choice of words..

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:20:34 AM by lovelyrita » Logged
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »

I totally agree. I've never understood why people settle down before they're married. That never made much sense to me.

What do you take "settling down" as?
I take it as; not a party animal anymore, or doesn't take any stupid chances like he/she used to.

I think there is a big difference in "settling" and "settling down".

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »

What do you take "settling down" as?
I take it as; not a party animal anymore, or doesn't take any stupid chances like he/she used to.

I think there is a big difference in "settling" and "settling down".

Semantics aside, my original point that WeAllGotItComingKid replied to is after getting married you are supposed to be done looking for a significant other.  Otherwise whats the point of getting married?  No one should "settle for less", but that decision should be made before you get married to someone.  If there are problems in the marriage, both should try to work through it, and if that doesn't help then divorce is an option.  My other comment regarding perspective was that if your spouse cheats on you, the "I didn't want to settle" reasoning probably won't go over too well. 

This is a never ending discussion, and I think comes back to how you view marriage and whether trading up (not settling, or whatever you want to call it) or not is ok.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:42:58 PM by Conan » Logged

WeAllHaveItCominKid
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2007, 06:50:20 AM »

Semantics aside, my original point that WeAllGotItComingKid replied to is after getting married you are supposed to be done looking for a significant other.  Otherwise whats the point of getting married?  No one should "settle for less", but that decision should be made before you get married to someone.  If there are problems in the marriage, both should try to work through it, and if that doesn't help then divorce is an option.  My other comment regarding perspective was that if your spouse cheats on you, the "I didn't want to settle" reasoning probably won't go over too well. 

This is a never ending discussion, and I think comes back to how you view marriage and whether trading up (not settling, or whatever you want to call it) or not is ok.

Exactly Conan.

Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #271 on: October 02, 2007, 06:59:47 AM »

Gotcha!  O0

lovelyrita

View Profile Email
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »

Good point!
Francesca Kincaid

Anything but a simple woman

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »

I just found this yesterday & so thought I'd post it here.

I've heard of it before but didn't realize it was now until I read this.

The annual covered bridges festival is this weekend in Winterset.  It sounds kinda neat.  Have any of you ever went to it?  Or know someone who has?  I wonder what it's like.

Scroll down here & it's on the left, a little blurb about it:

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071011/ENT04/710110351/1046/ENT
bobbsafe

View Profile Email
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2007, 01:33:10 PM »

I just watched the whole movie for the first time and while an old (56) Clint fan, this was one of the best movies I have ever seen, leave alone acting. The ending scenes just tugged the heart and made the viewer aware of all his/her own fragile emotions.
The way Richard finally died, then Clint and then Francesca was so sad but all so real. The final scene at the bridge was so painful but so real as well. It again brought to the surface the many scenes from days gone by.
Clint showed his true talent in this one. I am amazed how long he has been treating audiences with great film making. Bridges of Madison County was truly a great film. He was so real and so true as a character.
lovelyrita

View Profile Email
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »

Hi Bobbsafe, welcome and yes this was a good movie. It was so poignant. The last scene when Francesca's children are on the bridge is so touching and than the music. It was a beautiful story.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2009, 01:15:39 AM »

I KNEW it had to be there somewhere when I read "The 65 Most Romantic Movie Couples" on Premiere.com  8) Bingo.

9. Robert Kincaid (Clint Eastwood) and Francesca Johnson (Meryl Streep)

Bridges of Madison County (1995)
“If you want me to stop, tell me now.”
“No one's asking you to.”

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
makemyday321

Email
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »

In [Catherine Deneuve's] "diary" she talks about auditioning to play Francesca in The Bridges of Madison County. But since she is very French and has a strong (beautiful) accent, I wouldn't have found her believable as an Italian.

Note by Moderators: The above post was edited and moved from an inappropriate thread in the Off Topic forum to this thread.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:18:25 AM by The Schofield Kid » Logged
makemyday321

Email
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »

Meryl Streep gave a great performance but I often wonder how the movie would have been if Sophia Loren played Francesca. She is actually Italian whereas Streep is not.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

That's interesting. As I said in the old Film Discussion thread, I think Loren (who was 60 at the time) would have been too old for audiences to accept in the part. Also, both she and Catherine Deneuve, whom you mention in another thread, had firmly established "European film star" personas. I think audiences would have found it hard to accept either as an Iowa farmer's wife. Whereas Streep has always been noted for her chameleon-like ability to seem natural and believable, no matter what role she's cast in.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T