News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: S.A.G. lifetime achievement award for Clint  (Read 16069 times)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2003, 06:21:03 PM »

GET SCREEN CAPS!! Get lots of screen caps!!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2003, 07:22:23 PM »

Hey! He said to all the actors who were present whom he didn't know yet that he'd get to know them, because "I have no intention of bailing out!"

Nice montage of clips to introduce him.  8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2003, 07:26:41 PM »

My word! And here's an old Clint co-star ... Maureen O'Hara!  :D

Not a gray hair on her head!  8)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2003, 08:53:44 PM »

Oh yeah, I was wondering what movie it was that Clint and Maureen were ever in together when I saw the first part of KC's post.

Pretty cool tribute to Clint. 8)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2003, 12:07:57 AM »

This from Yahoo!: (emphasis added)

Catherine Zeta-Jones and Christopher Walken win SAG honors
Sun Mar 9, 9:00 PM ET  

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN, AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Crime paid at the Screen Actors Guild awards on Sunday, as supporting actor honors went to Catherine Zeta-Jones for playing a jazz-singing murderess in "Chicago" and Christopher Walken won for playing the father of a con artist in "Catch Me If You Can."

Zeta-Jones said the extensive dance numbers in the film resulted in her and her co-stars being "bruised and iced frequently. If I wasn't pregnant I'd do it all over again, I promise you," she added. Her second child with husband Michael Douglas is due in April.

Zeta-Jones' competition in the category included "Chicago" co-star Queen Latifah, who played a prison matron.

Walken thanked the audience of mainly actors for honoring his work. "I love all of us. We are family and I hope we all work together soon," Walken said.

Walken, Latifah and Zeta-Jones are also nominated in the supporting actor class at the upcoming Academy Awards, set for March 23.

"Chicago" also had Screen Actors Guild nominations for best ensemble, and stars Renee Zellweger and Richard Gere were nominated in the lead actor category.

The Screen Actors Guild Awards is the last of Hollywood's major self-congratulatory events before the Oscars, where "Chicago" also leads nominees with 13 bids, including best picture.

Since the guild ceremony only recognizes performances, its ensemble category is regarded as the equivalent of a best-picture prize. In addition to "Chicago," other films competing for that honor were the fantasy epic "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," the surprise blockbuster "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," the suicide drama "The Hours," and the offbeat screenwriting comedy "Adaptation."

Along with Zellweger, best actress contenders included Nicole Kidman for playing Virginia Woolf in "The Hours," Julianne Moore for playing a frustrated 1950s housewife, Salma Hayek for "Frida," a film biography of painter Frida Kahlo, and Diane Lane for the adultery thriller "Unfaithful."

Besides Gere, the remaining best actor nominees were Nicolas Cage for the screenwriting comedy "Adaptation," Adrien Brody for the Holocaust drama "The Pianist," Daniel Day-Lewis for the 1860s epic "Gangs of New York" and Jack Nicholson for the downbeat comedy "About Schmidt."

Nominees for best TV dramatic ensemble were "24," "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" "Six Feet Under," "The Sopranos" and "The West Wing."

TV comedy ensemble picks were "Everybody Loves Raymond" "Frasier," "Friends," "Sex and the City" and "Will & Grace."

Nominations are chosen by 4,200 randomly selected members of the union. The guild's full membership of 98,000 was eligible to vote for final winners.

The program for the show, televised live on TNT, also featured a lifetime achievement award for Clint Eastwood, who made his breakthrough on the 1959 TV series "Rawhide" and became a film star playing mysterious gunslingers in Westerns such as "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," (1966) and the rogue cop in the "Dirty Harry" movies.

Since 1971, he has directed 24 films and starred in most of them, including "Pale Rider," (1985) "The Bridges of Madison County" (1995) and "Unforgiven," (1992), which won Academy Awards for best picture and director.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2003, 12:51:05 AM »

Thanks, Nightwing. Clint looks great in those shots (and so does Dina). I noticed that when they showed him in the audience, little Franny (she'd be nine now) was seated next to him.

Franny's mom Frances Fisher was there as well. She and Dina seemed very friendly.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2003, 12:54:24 AM »

Thanks KC for those screen caps. Got anymore where those came from? 8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2003, 01:07:01 AM »

Not tonight, Nightwing, I haven't got time. Anyway, I think between the two of us we've covered the event pretty well now.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2003, 01:20:43 AM »

Not tonight, Nightwing, I haven't got time. Anyway, I think between the two of us we've covered the event pretty well now.

Thats cool. 8) And Im sure there will plenty of more pictures up on the net tomorrow anyway. :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2003, 04:58:58 AM »

Wow, Franny resembles big brother Kyle when he was about that age.
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2003, 05:58:35 AM »

Anyone know why Ray Romano of all people presented? Did someone get sick at the last minute?
Palm

BOMC (Best Of Many Clint's)

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2003, 07:55:03 AM »

Thanks KC for letting me in on the real story.........
excuse me for being so frank but believe me this is what i heard and i guess they had it all wrong in our media (who can you trust nowadays..............)
I am just really GLAD ;D that it NOT true..............
great pictures everyone !!!!!!!!
Lilly..........how about taping it and selling it to me for a fist full of dollars ??????? ;D ;D

dhall

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2003, 08:02:02 AM »

Great pictures of the award, but does anyone have an idea where I could get a transcript of  Clint's speech?  I messed up the setting for the VCR  and didn't get his words on tape.

P.S. great board by the way - my first time to post, but a LONG time fan (over 40 years)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2003, 09:42:08 AM »

Anyone know why Ray Romano of all people presented? Did someone get sick at the last minute?
When I heard that Ray Romano was going to present him with the award, I thought it was cool. But of course, Everybody Loves Raymond is one of the few shows I watch all the time.

Those are good pictures Nightwing and KC posted. Prior to Clint getting the reward, they showed a shot of him setting next to Alison and Kyle, but I wondered why they didn't get a shot of them once Clint was on stage with his award, the same way they did with Dina, Frances and Franny.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2003, 10:50:48 AM »

I'd sum up the event like this:

The Good
1) Some great Eastwood clips shown during his award presentation.
2) A nice variety of stars (Meryl Streep, Sean Penn, Schwartzanegger, Marcia Gay Harden) talking about Eastwood.
3) A fantastic acceptance speech by Eastwood, in which he indicated that he's not even close to hanging 'em up.
4) Although it didn't happen during the Lifetime Award presentation, it was great to hear Daniel Day-Lewis, accepting his Best Actor award, mention the Spaghetti Westerns and Dirty Harry as films that inspired him to become a great actor (hey Clint, let's get Day-Lewis in the your next flick!).

The Bad
1) Ray Romano presenting the award? Nothing against Ray, I like him, but certainly they could have picked someone with more of a tie to Clint. Among attendees, Jack Nicholson comes to mind, and I'm sure there were others. Even Ray himself seemed somewhat embarrassed about presenting the award to Clint.

The Ugly
1) During the montage of signature Eastwood performances, the producers chose to include a clip from Pink Cadillac while omitting Tightrope, arguably the first Eastwood performance to garner significant Oscar consideration.

As a whole, it was great to see Clint recognized! Here's hoping that we see Clint win a SAG award outright for a future performance...
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2003, 11:16:13 AM »

Life Achievement Award: Clint Eastwood

CLINT EASTWOOD: Sit down. This is heavy. Where’s Schwarzenegger when you need him? [laughter] Anyway, thank you very much for the wonderful, warm reception, and I hope this doesn’t mean that I’m supposed to collect my pension and head on down the road. That’s — ‘cause that ain’t in the game for me.

I got in the Screen Actors Guild back in the early ‘50s. And Walter Pidgeon was the president then, Melissa, so times are — I remember calling parents and saying that I’m in the same union with Walter Pidgeon, Cagney and Cooper and Barbara Stanwyk and Bette Davis — all these fabulous people that I grew up with. And I thought I was — I thought I was hot stuff, until I started knocking on doors and getting the turndowns. So I appreciate everything that all of you have had to go through at some time in your life.

To be a success in the screen trade, I think you’ve got to — you’ve got to either have a lot talent and a little bit of ability or lot of ability, a little bit of talent. Some of — I look at some of those clips and I’m kind of thinking, Damn, you’re lucky! [laughter] So ... and especially that singing in there, I don’t know . [laughter] I’m sure Clark Gable’s rolling over, too, thinking …

But I just want to say that being a member of the Screen Actors Guild for coming up on 50 years has been a great pleasure for me. I think about it, it’s two-thirds of your life you’ve spent in one guild -- that’s fantastic. And I’ve enjoyed meeting all the people over the years, and I’ve certainly enjoyed knowing all of you — most of you. And of those I don’t know, I’ll get to know later.

But we’ll all work together because I have no intention of bailing out.
So... talk to you later. Thank you.

http://www.sagawards.com/9_speeches.html
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2003, 06:08:11 PM »

Nice speech! And great pictures too. Thanx for those!

Now I have to wait a whole week to see it for myself on Channel 5  :(
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2003, 06:16:17 PM »

The Ugly
1) During the montage of signature Eastwood performances, the producers chose to include a clip from Pink Cadillac while omitting Tightrope, arguably the first Eastwood performance to garner significant Oscar consideration.

I wondered why they had to include that Pink Cadillac clip too, but I guess they were just trying to show his range... I do remember thinking "thank God they didn't do a clip of him in that gold jacket."  :o

You may have blinked and missed the very short clip from Tightrope.  It didn't get its title displayed over it like most of the others that were shown, but they did include a short clip from the very end of the film where Wes and Beryl walk off camera together (at the railroad tracks).  It was the last clip of the montage.

I was thinking it would have been nice if Meryl Streep could have presented the award, she was there and she absolutely loved working with Clint.  I also wondered why they chose Ray Romano.  But, he did okay with it.

I've heard Schwarzenegger and Streep and Freeman speak well of Eastwood before, and I enjoyed their clips, but this was the first time I'd heard Marcia Gay Harden interviewed about Clint.  I liked hearing her tell about how she and her sister had fallen in love with Eastwood when they were growing up, and she doesn't seem to have ever fallen out of love with him.  She had so much energy, and she seemed so uncelebrity-like when she was speaking, just so down to earth and honest.  Made me think I'd like to see her act with Clint again.  I'm definitely looking forward to her performance in Mystic River.

Sean Penn said something quotable about Eastwood... "He's the least disappointing icon in the American film."  

Gotta agree with Sean on that.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2003, 07:38:07 PM »

I've heard Schwarzenegger... speak well of Eastwood before...

Thats why I want them to work together in a buddy comedy.  :D ;D 8) :P

And I love this quote from Clint:

"I hope this doesn't mean I'm supposed to collect my pension and head on down the road."
;D

I saw that clip on Headline News today.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2003, 10:14:40 PM »

so i believe many of us did manage to see the awards.the clippings were good but were not very many, i expected  a little more.his speech was good but a little too soft.the best part was the standing avation the man recieved.many many congratulations to him.

rowdyyates
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T