News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody met Clint?  (Read 53086 times)
Sanctiongirl

LIVE LAUGH LOVE

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06:12 AM »

Posted some of my pics from the Eiger Sanction on that thread...thought  you might want to go over there and see them!
Sanction Girl

It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you...its what you leave behind you when you go...Live Until You Die..Clay Walker
Support Clay and his Band Against MS!
Sanction Girl
Clint Van Wallach

Email
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »

I worked for a limousine service here in Tucson for  many years. Between the weddings, proms, and drunk runs, we occasionally drove celebrities that visited the area.                                                                                      The  PGA tour plays here in February and there's always a celebrity Pro-Am scheduled prior to the tournament. In the early 90s John Denver was the  celebrity host and it was rumored well  before the event that he had recruited Clint to play in the Pro-Am.  The company I worked for was doing most of the transportation for the tournament so when the reservation came in for Clint's arrival, I was assigned the run. I was the senior driver at the time so the fact that I screamed, begged and pleaded had nothing to do with it.
     It would have been cool if I'd gotten to drive him alone but unfortunately I had to pick up two greeters and take them to meet his plane. The greeters (a plastic surgeon and his wife)  worked for the charity group that the Pro-Am benefited (There's a reason I'm including that fact.)
     Clint arrived at the executive terminal on a private jet so we  drove right up to the plane. It was a good size jet so they had to wheel one of those portable stairways up to the door. I'd driven celebrities before and I never get star struck, but I remember feeling kind of a jolt when I first saw him.
     Anyway he comes down the stairs  and we're standing by the car door. The doctor introduces himself and his wife but not me (I'm just the hired help I guess.)  I know I should've just thrust my hand out and introduced myself, but I didn't. I see his luggage is being brought over so I walk over to load it. I don't remember what I was thinking but I was probably pretty irritated.  As I'm loading his clubs, Clint walks back to the trunk and watches me not saying a word. So I'm leaning over into the trunk, conscience of him standing there, really not knowing what to say or do. So  I just straighten up hold out my hand and say, "welcome to Tucson." (It probably came out more like "uh...er...um...uh... welcome to Tucson.") He smiles (maybe it was a smile it might have been a smirk) shakes my hand and says "thanks."
     I've told that story many times and the truth is he probably walked back to the trunk to make sure all of his luggage was there (or to make sure I didn't help myself to a souvenir) but I'd like to think maybe he came back to give me a chance to say something as I was obviously rudely omitted from the introductions. Yeah, I'm just the driver (a reference I've heard many times) but I was standing RIGHT THERE!
     Anyway, that's my brief meeting with Clint.  On the way to the hotel the doctor asked Clint where he flew in from and he says Canada where he's been working ('Unforgiven' was released later that year). Clint mentions that he thinks Tucson is where Lee Marvin had a home. The doctor's wife says, "Yes, and you filmed Joe Kidd at Old Tucson. That comment got no response (maybe he nodded). Clint asked the doctor what he did for a living and when he told him Clint said  "Nobody would recognize me if I got plastic surgery, so I just clip a clothespin to the back of my neck."  That got a good laugh. They also asked him if sometime during his stay if they could get a picture taken with him. He said "sure."
(It's a good thing they didn't ask me to take it cause I'd have put my thumb over the lens.)
     We get to the hotel and he's pretty much out of the car and into the lobby. I yelled out," good luck tomorrow" and he half looks back and gives me another, "thanks."
      I'd hoped I'd get to drive him to and from the tournament but I didn't . I didn't drive him back to his plane either but I'm going to mention something about that.
     I'm often asked two questions about that day: "Did he tip you?" and "Did you get his autograph?" The answer to both is no. As far as gratuities go it's all included. I have been tipped by a few celebrities but usually not.
     I've never been comfortable asking for autographs. Even Clint's. It's not that I'm above it or anything I just think it's kind of intrusive. The limo company had a policy against it anyway but even if they didn't I wouldn't have asked. I'm happy to have just met some of these people (especially Clint) and if someone doesn't believe me that's their problem, I'm not going to produce an autograph to prove it.
     One last footnote to this story which kind of addresses the autograph situation. As I said I didn't drive Clint back to the executive terminal but one of our drivers was there waiting for a plane when Clint showed
up. The driver (Brian) relates the following story. He said Clint's plane hadn't arrived yet so he was waiting in the lobby. The woman behind the counter was freaking out so Brian says ,"ask him for his autograph." She is way too intimidated so Brian says he'll ask for her.  He said Clint  gave him kind of a disapproving look. Brian says it's not for him it's for the woman behind the counter. Clint asks him what her name is and he tells him "Rose."
     So Clint walks up to the counter and says "Hi Rose, my plane here yet?"
     Brian said after she calmed down he signed an autograph for her.
     So if you ask Clint for an autograph maybe he'll sign maybe he won't.
     Yeah I know I've rambled on far too long. Sorry about that.  My meeting with Clint was brief but memorable.  I thought maybe some might like to hear about the events surrounding it. Anyway, I'll try not to be so long winded in the future (newbie mistake I reckon.) Hope you enjoyed it, oh and one more thing..."thanks."
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:10 PM »

That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Newkie

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »

I met him at the Kennedy Space Center during the filming of Space Cowboys. He and a couple of writers  stepped into my office briefly, and even though I was star struck, I had enough wit to at least say hi Mr Eastwood and he responded back politely.
No time to think about an autograph, plus I usually don't ask for those things. Not that I'm not kicking myself though, because they did step in a second to see if they could possibly use the room in a scene.
And If I had him sign anything, even though I like High Plains Drifter best, I guess it would've been the obvious?
"Space Cowboys"

Newkie
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2006, 12:39:28 PM »

Thanks, Clint van Wallach, that's a really cool story. Thanks for taking the time to tell it to us! 8)

And thanks for your story, too, Newkie! :)
Newkie

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »

I cant believe I just stumbled on this web site...
I have been a fan for years, and my goal which is about half full, is to have every one of his films on DVD.
Glad to be on board, and if anybody needs to know, my name is after Clints favorite beer (I found out) Newcastle Brown Ale.

Newkie
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »

Thanks for sharing, guys  O0 Very nice stories  8)

I've never been comfortable asking for autographs. Even Clint's. It's not that I'm above it or anything I just think it's kind of intrusive.
I'm with you here. I don't think I could either.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2006, 06:34:48 PM »

I cant believe I just stumbled on this web site...
I have been a fan for years, and my goal which is about half full, is to have every one of his films on DVD.
Glad to be on board, and if anybody needs to know, my name is after Clints favorite beer (I found out) Newcastle Brown Ale.

Newkie
Clint has good taste in beer. Newcastle is a wonderful ale. It blends well with a steak dinner.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2006, 01:24:30 PM »

"Nobody would recognize me if I got plastic surgery, so I just clip a clothespin to the back of my neck."  ;D ;D

(It's a good thing they didn't ask me to take it cause I'd have put my thumb over the lens.)  ;D ;D 
Great Story CvW!

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »

I've never met Clint and to be honest, not sure I'd really want to.  If the opportunity were to present itself, I'd rather meet with those who post here.  We all share a common interest and it would be fun.  Obviously, actually meeting Eastwood would be cool but I wouldn't know what to say to him.  Entertainers don't top my list of people I'd like to meet; probably because I came to the realization years ago that there's slim to no chance it'd actually happen anyway.

“Eyuh.”
Canadian Lady
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 08:48:09 AM »

I myself would love to meet Clint and just talk be able to talk with him, I think he is a very smart person and alot could be learned from him. It would be hard at first, but after the first beer I imagine it would smooth over! 8) And meeting people from this forum would be cool too. But where? ::)

Every Day is a Good Day!! -CL
HarveyLogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Met mr. Eastwood near Monterey many years ago. Was driving with a friend & found a creek neamed Malpaso creek. Then saw a road called Malpaso Dr? (I'm not sure if it's a rd, dr, ave or what). Next I came across a restaurant by the name of the Boar's Breath. stopped there w/my friend and went in to eat. No one else was there but a server, cook and a man drinking coffee or tea & looking at a paper (it was late am). Man put the paper down & there was the most recognizable face in filmdom. I only spoke to him for a short moment, didn't ask for autograph (thought it might seem tacky). I think he told me he owned the restaurant if I'm not mistaken. This was quite some time ago, back around the early '80's, so I don't recall all of the conversation. I do remember the man was a real gentleman, very polite.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »

Nice story, Harvey! The restaurant is actually called the Hog's Breath Inn.

Welcome to the Board! :)
gaz

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »

If Clint is at Cannes this year . What would be the chance of getting an autograph from him? Anyone know if this is possible on the red carpet ? Can fans wait like they can in Leicester sq in London ? Or is it all too cordoned off ?

Anyone know if Clint will do a Perm in England or any promotional for it ?
cheers
cattman

Clint Eastwood is THE Man!

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

Sadly,I didn't,but I had the very great pleasure of working security on Mystic River in Boston in the fall of 2002 & saw him several times & was close to him quite a bit!I had some stuff for him to sign in the trunk of my car had the occasion arose. :) :'(
It was very exciting being around some of the filming of it,but I didn't want to risk getting fired just for trying to get Clint's & others autographs! I figured it was worth more for the experience working security on Clint's movie as opposed to getting a few autographs.
As I was working security,I had to act proffessional & keep the "autograph Hounds" etc away.
Everytime I saw Clint he was with someone & talking to someone else! *It's MUCH better to be an unknown fan than to be known as one who's a pain in the a$$!!!! I did however to take a few set photos when no one was around on sunday,the day that the crew were off.
Cattman
Hev

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

I never actually met him to speak to but I did see him when he came to England to promote "Bridges Of Madison County" at the National Film Theatre in London. I had already seen the film a couple of months before when I was on holiday in the United States.

I didn't know he was coming over here and by the time I found out ,the tickets were all sold out , but I queued up all day outside the  theatre in the hope of getting a cancellation ticket. I waited for many hours.

About 30 minutes before it was due to start, I had moved up to the front of the queue and was then called out to purchase a ticket.  I was shaking so much with excitement as I have been a fan of his since Rawhide days. I just could not believe my luck. It was a dream come true to be in the same room as him. I bought a drink to calm myself down and ended up spilling it as my hands were shaking. Mad!!

They showed the film and then afterwards he came out on stage for a questions and answers session. He had a suit and shirt and tie and looked amazing. I can remember looking at him sitting in the chair and it seemed like his legs went on forever!! He was talking for about an hour.  Was very witty. I just never took my eyes off of him once. He had a standing ovation when he came on stage and when he went off. It is still one of the best evenings of my life. A chance of a lifetime.
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

Nice one Hev. I guess I would be shaking too if I was in your shoes.

Welcome to the board, you'll have a blast. O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »

That's a nice story, Hev! Welcome, and thanks for joining, looking forward to more posts! :)
Hev

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2008, 07:25:37 AM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I look forward to being a member and also hearing from other Clint fans, and catching up with all the news.  Wish I had known about this site a long time ago.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »

Welcome Hev.   The nearest I have been to him is putting my hands in the imprint of Clint's in Leicester Square, London.

You and Sylvie have something in common, Sylvie sat near to him when he visited France and she was like you, totally over come.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T