News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone or Schifrin  (Read 2895 times)
mattyd

View Profile Email
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:25:23 AM »

So here is the ultimate question who's music is the best?
Morricone or Schifrin?

Personally i would say Morricone because his music is so emmmotionally and powerful what do you guys think?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 02:29:30 AM »

Better, of two. When you compare two things, you use "better." "Best" is for three or more.

Which is better—apples or oranges? 
mattyd

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:40:07 AM »

I am exceptionally remorseful for my grammatical inaccuracy. I shall blame it on the fact that im English.
 ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

I am exceptionally remorseful for my grammatical inaccuracy. I shall blame it on the fact that im English.
 ;D

LOL   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I Prefer Morricone and agree that his music is emotional and powerful.     

Mattyd  you are having a bad day.
emmmotionally
Or is that to get the emotional point across.      Sorry. Please keep on posting.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 10:51:20 AM »

;D
  Mattyd,   O0 O0
I just wanted you to know that your post, quoted above, has given me the best laugh I have had all day.   I mean that sincerely.  I can just see you typing away affronted but unaware that I am laughing so much the tears are rolling down my cheeks.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You are brilliant. O0 O0 O0
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:03:58 PM »

It's a tough call as both are terrific . I'd have to go for Schifrin though . From Dirty Harry and all his great collaborations with Clint through The Amytiville Horror & Enter The Dragon , the man's a genius . Plus he has the cool factor ........ just listen to Bullit ...... class !
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:03:39 PM »

Schifrin for me  ^-^

Very jazzy ... 8) 8)

Dirty Harry's soundtrack is forever engraved in my memory (no kiddin' !) ... O0

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »

Morricone by far.  Not that Schifrin isn't good.  But I think Morricone did such an amazing job on the Spaghetti scores.  If I think of a great score the first film that pops into mind is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.  I really like Morricone's score in GBU when Tuco is getting beat up it's so powerful, not to mention the whistling theme is standard, everyone I know knows that, even if they don't know what movies it's from. 

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 12:03:07 AM »

Morricone adds a more bravado, emotional, and classic feeling into his music while Schifrin adds an action packed suspensful twist to his pieces. They are both good but I think it depends on what movie they were dealing with. I don't think Schifrin could do the western scenes as well as Morricone and Morricone not as well as Schifrin in the Dirty Harry series and Enter the Dragon.

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
Dave on a bike

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 11:40:04 AM »

Morricone for me..  8)

His music fits so well with the emotions of the films..
warren218

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 03:53:05 PM »

I think it's a tough call.  One thing I'd say differs the two is that Schifrin seems more of an action scorer, that is many of his themes seemed to be scored around action scenes.  If we take just the Dirty Harry CD collection (amazing BTW!) it's probably not background music that you may put on to relax or be inspired, but it generally is a thumping collection that carries most of the dramatic and action orientated set pieces of the films and seems more custom made for that.

Morricone on the other hand creates more epic, sweeping soundtracks with a bit more of a traditional feel over Schifrin's work which does tend to be thematic, such as the Mission Impossible score.  There are obvious exceptions where Morricone is more minimalist, (some of his work in GBU), then there are the rousing and emotive examples such as Once Upon..West.

In any case both are masters who were made to do Clint's films in the same way that he was born to do the roles, and whether it's Schifrin's funk-laden score over a rooftop prowler's weapon assembly or Morricone's grandiose strings as a bridge is blown to smitheerens and a dying general gets his wish, we love 'em all the same.

I don't think it's nice, you laughing
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 02:59:34 PM »

I prefer Morricone, but Shifrin's a close second.

“Eyuh.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T