News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artistic growth in Dollars Trilogy  (Read 1173 times)
AngelEyesForever

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:12:21 PM »

Fistful is a revalation due to Eastwood's presence alone. However, the camera angles, editing are still pretty generic compared to previous "great westerns".

I feel For a Few Dollars More is the real beginning of Leone as artist. In particular, that closeup shot of the bad guy Van Cleef gets early in the film, I had not seen that kind of shot in all of "Fistful" and we would see that shot a lot more in GBU.

GBU has the real artistic flourishes, particuraly in the "Trio" scene, where you get some really astounding camera angles, practically every frame is a a work of art by that point.
cigar joe

easy come easy go

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 04:07:21 AM »

Yea, Fistfull was a remake of Yohimbo when that achieved success Leone was free to more explore his own style
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 10:46:21 AM »

The man with no name series was in stages, artistically.

Fistful was about captivating you with THE MAN WITH NO NAME. Here Leone had figured out the perfect character with the perfect actor to play him. It was a "LOOKIE WHAT I MADE!! NYAHH NYAAH". Thats why alot of the movie, as a matter of fact 98 percent of the movie, he is in. (there arent many scenes where he isnt involved).

FAFDM was also a showcase of the man with no name, but broadening his personality. Showing how he could play off another strong character..his wit...and in duality, his powerful side.

GBU was the masterpiece of them all....mixing both the man with no name, two other powerful lead characters...a powerful story, awesome score, great cinematic shots...the ultimate end to a great trilogy.

I also think its why ONCE UPON A TIME was such a flop. How do you follow up your masterpiece???

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
AngelEyesForever

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:27:17 AM »

The man with no name series was in stages, artistically.

Fistful was about captivating you with THE MAN WITH NO NAME. Here Leone had figured out the perfect character with the perfect actor to play him. It was a "LOOKIE WHAT I MADE!! NYAHH NYAAH". Thats why alot of the movie, as a matter of fact 98 percent of the movie, he is in. (there arent many scenes where he isnt involved).

FAFDM was also a showcase of the man with no name, but broadening his personality. Showing how he could play off another strong character..his wit...and in duality, his powerful side.

GBU was the masterpiece of them all....mixing both the man with no name, two other powerful lead characters...a powerful story, awesome score, great cinematic shots...the ultimate end to a great trilogy.

I also think its why ONCE UPON A TIME was such a flop. How do you follow up your masterpiece???

With another? I think OUATITW is an ever greater artistic masterpiece then GBU. It just doesn't get the credit it deserves because no Eastwood in it. Bronson is killer. Also that rotating shot first revealing Henry Fonda is just seared into my memory forever.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T