News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Oscar Night  (Read 37024 times)
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2005, 01:21:40 AM »

Big up yourself, Clint!

Way to go! Scorsese who?

:)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »

Well, like I said before, I felt all the actresses in the Supporting Actress were good enough to win it. I couldn't actually pick a favourite so I went with Blanchett.

If Clint never does win a Best Actor that's alright by me. I'm sure there's plenty of other great actors out there who haven't won the Best Actor award, Warren Beatty comes to mind. Heck, Beatty's had 14 nominations (for writing, producing, director and actor) and only one win, Best Director.

And Kubrick, Hitchcock never won a Best Director statuette so it's not like Clint isn't the only talented person to have not won an award which he should probably deserve.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #262 on: February 28, 2005, 02:05:36 AM »

Terrific news.

I got up this morning not knowing who'd won or anything  read through this thread from start to finish trying to get a taste of the tension goin' down. ;D Well done gang..... Well Oscar gets it right. Baby was the best film. I love Scorsese.. he's one of the best film directers ever. Unfortunatley The Aviator wasn't a particuarly good movie. I personaly wouldn't put it in his top 10. The right film won on the night.

Well done Clint.

... and Hilary Swank looked gorgeous.... ;)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2005, 02:58:16 AM »

You guys are a trip, collectively. The hatred for Hobbits and Martin Scorsese is so silly and sad. I suppose if Clint were up for the Nobel Peace Prize against Mother Theresa, leading up to the ceremony there would be a thread of nail biting and name calling (stuipid old bat, what kind of talent does it really take to sit around with poor people all day?!? Has the committee not seen Bronco Billy?).

lucky for you holden mother theresa is dead i think and the pope ain't feelin to good - no comp there for clint ;D

come on it was oscar night all the hype against clint - people trying to spoil the plot and the critics claiming disabled people hated him - what critisism was made on the board was in good humour - for a night of fun especially after last year - perhaps we should have had a delay to re-edit everything  ;)

great pics - thanks KC and Brendan

go sock it to em clint your awesome
the golden gloves of oscar shine again for Da Man

nice pic of jamie foxx and morgan freeman and nice to think back to sydney poitier - he's a legend - now morgan freeman is one to and maybe mr foxx if he can keep to the films that count

i did kind of begrudge him best actor because i felt the whole thing of copying someone was not very original but it was a very popular choice and these are the movie goers
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:35:39 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Hammerhead

Get the hell out of the way, hammerhead.

View Profile Email
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2005, 05:20:41 AM »

Well, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it was great fun going through this thread this morning, having woken up in the UK to all the good news, to see how positive you guys were about Baby's chances on the big ones as The Aviator was scooping up all the junk!

KC in particular, good to see you "root, root, rooting" for the team all the way and never giving up hope for Clint. ;)

In contrast, I will have pleasure in collecting 20 from one of my foolish pals today who wagered on Scorcese winning.

Seriously though, great news, congrats to Clint and all involved on the film. Can we please end all talk of Dirty Harry 6 now? Ain't no way that would have been up for best picture!
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2005, 06:50:30 AM »

Yeah...congrats!!!. I was awake until 3 am.
Now I am sleppy, but Eastwood...made my day O0
He deserves all, I almost cry  ;D

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2005, 07:31:15 AM »

This is so great  O0 Im so happy for Eastwood,Swank and Freeman...and I haven`t even seen the film yet.

Im sure though the film deserved all the awards.

It was long night(in Finland the clock was 3.30 am when the show started :))but it was well worth it.

This might e an old news but there`s an interview of Eastwood on this link(obviously):

http://www.oscar.com
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2005, 08:31:31 AM »

I enjoyed the show last night. I have to say, I really had my doubts about Chris Rock as the host. I have some respect for some of his stand up material, but not much, so overall I'm not a fan. But I thought he did a nice job. There weren't any little musical numbers that Billy Crystal always does (I like Crystal as host, but it's nice to step away from that from time to time ;)). Going to the Magic theater and interviewing people was pretty original.

Obviously, there weren't too many surprises with the awards. I think most people had most of them pegged down as to who would win them.

The best thing about it was seeing Eastwood win. I wasn't watching the Oscars yet back in '93, and I really wasn't sure if I'd ever get to see him accept a big award. O0
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2005, 08:43:43 AM »

KC in particular, good to see you "root, root, rooting" for the team all the way and never giving up hope for Clint. ;)

That's just how I root ... you should see me at a baseball game! 
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2005, 09:39:31 AM »

Bodacious!  O0 O0

I couldn't see it here, but like Gant and the others, it was great to wake up and read everyone's commentary and get the feel of the night.  8)

That'll teach Warner Bros to back-off from distributing Clint's work.  :P  And I've never been so pleased to see KC lose $25!  
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2005, 09:55:46 AM »

Hey Lilly looks like we missed a brilliant show, but who really cares.   Clint with his two Oscars and Freeman & Swank.

Just fantastic. O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Loved the pictures  Hilary looked stunning and Clint's Mom She doesn't look in her 90's great lady.  Then Clint WOW and Dina looked great too.    Wish I could have seen it. :'(

Will have to buy Hello or OK to get all the pics.   >:D

Clint 'made my day'   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2005, 10:38:28 AM »

He "made my night"  ;) ^-^

Undescribable  :D ... Albert Ruddy was right, this guy has genius  O0

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »

Here's their acceptance speeches (taken from Oscar.com):

Morgan Freeman's:

I want to thank everybody and anybody who ever had anything at all to do with the making of this picture. But I especially want to thank Clint Eastwood for giving me the opportunity to work with him again. And to work with Hilary Swank. This was a labor of love. And I thank the Academy. I thank you. So very much.

Hilary Swank's:

I don't know what I did in this life to deserve all this. I'm just a girl from a trailer park who had a dream. I never thought this would ever happen, let alone be nominated. And a working actor, for that matter. And now, this. I thank the Academy. I'm eternally grateful for this great honor. I would also like to acknowledge my fellow nominees, Annette, Imelda, Kate, and Catalina, your work inspires me beyond words.

I am going to start by thanking my husband because I'd like to think I learned from past mistakes. Chad, you're my everything. Thank you for your support. It means the world. I would never be standing here if it weren't for the -- each and every one of the brilliant people I had surrounding me, supporting me and believing in me. Tom Rosenberg, Gary Lucchesi, thank you for sending me this most marvelous script. You will never know how grateful I am. Paul Haggis, for writing this beautiful script. Our other producers extraordinaire: Al Ruddy, Clint, Rob Lorenz. Phyllis Huffman, our casting director. My trainers, Grant Roberts and Hector Roca, you pushed me further than I ever thought I could push myself up to that last pound, actually to that last ounce. I thank you. My sparring partners who were so patient. And everyone at Gleason's.

Well, the ever-amazing Morgan Freeman. Tom Stern, our cinematographer, you are brilliant. Joel Cox, our editor, you're amazing. You know? I'm going to thank my mom for believing in me from the beginning. My dad, for his support. My agents, Josh Lieberman, Tony Lipp, Kelly Tiffan, John Campisi. Jason Weinberg my manager (You can't do that. I haven't gotten to Clint yet! I saved him for the end)

Karl Austen, Jeff Bernstein, my lawyers. And then Clint. Clint Eastwood. Thank you for allowing me to go on this journey with you. Thank you for believing in me. You're my "macushla" Thank you. Warner brothers, as well. And you know what? Wait! Troy Nankin, my best friend and publicist. Thank you!

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2005, 12:26:25 PM »

Clint Eastwood's (For Best Director):

Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you. I'd like to thank my wife, who is my best pal down here. And my mother, who was here with me in 1993. She was only 84 then. But she's here with me again tonight. And she just -- so, at 96, I'm thanking her for her genes.

It was a wonderful adventure. It takes a -- to make a picture in 37 days, it takes a well-oiled machine. And that well-oiled machine is the crew -- the cast, of course, you've met a lot of them. But there's still Margo and Anthony and Michael and Mike and Jay and everybody else who was so fabulous in this cast. And the crew, Campanelli. Billy Coe and, of course, Tom Stern, who is fantastic. And Henry Bumstead, the great Henry Bumstead who is the head of our crack geriatrics team. And Henry and Jack Taylor, and Dick Goddard, all those guys. Walt and everybody. I can't think of everybody right now.

I'm drawing a blank right now. But, Warren, you were right. And thank you, for your confidence earlier in the evening. I'm just lucky to be here. Lucky to be still working. And I watched Sidney Lumet, who is 80, and I figure, I'm just a kid. I'll just -- I've got a lot of stuff to do yet. So thank you all very much. Appreciate it

Clint Eastwood's, Albert S. Ruddy's and Tom Rosenberg's (For Best Picture)

Clint Eastwood: Albert S. Ruddy was the one who gave us this script. And I came here in 1972, was it? It was 72, to give him the Oscar for THE GODFATHER. So, I'm glad to be back with him tonight.

Albert S. Ruddy: Actually, this is the third award ceremony we've gotten to in this category. And tonight, we won. And I would tell you every time I started going to this thing, I'd say I'm going to enjoy myself whether I win or lose. But believe me, as Arnold said, "It's better to win!" I love it. Thank you, everybody. Now -- this is a great honor that celebrates the talent of Hilary Swank, Morgan Freeman, and the genius of Clint Eastwood. Now, one other quick -- I want to thank Anjelica Huston, who introduced me to F.X. Toole and Paul Haggis for writing a brilliant screenplay. And the only thing left for me to do in my life now, is thank my wife, who believed when I was worried. My two great children. I'm going to sit down, and get a piece of lemon pie with the real filling. I'm going to look at this. And then, I'm going to die and go to heaven. Thank you.

Tom Rosenberg: I want to thank Warner Brothers, Alan Horn, Steve Spira...

Clint: Keep talking. Don't let them drown you out.

Tom Rosenberg: And I'd like to thank my partners, Gary Lucchesi and Terry McKay. And everybody at Lakeshore. And of course, the fantastic and fabulous, Clint Eastwood. And my other partner, Elizabeth Alkon.

Clint: And everybody at the Mission Ranch in Monterey county, who is watching the show.

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2005, 12:36:04 PM »

cool - nice

its them levis one cool jean  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 12:45:46 PM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2005, 12:55:04 PM »

Great stuff Clint and well deserved . I'm happily surprised that Hilary Swank walked away with a statue but I would have loved to have seen Imelda Staunton win . Morgan Freeman ? well , as good as it is for the movie I don't think his performance was anything special , but then again what do i know ? :)

As far as Scorsese goes ......... I think he's probably the best director working in Hollywood today . It's nothing short of criminal that he has'nt been awarded by the academy by now but , as I've already said , I did'nt want it to be for The Aviator . I'm sure Marty will  eventually win the day with a movie that's truly deserving .
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »

Best Supporting Actor, Best Actress, Best Director & Best Picture.....

YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!!  :)

Eyuh.
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2005, 02:22:59 PM »

Here's some of my quick thoughts after last nite's show and after reading thru this entire thread....

1. There wasn't many surprises with the awards. I can't believe how so many on this board thought that Scorcese was going to win Best Director after Clint had already won that award at the Golden Globes and at the Directors Guild. I thought him winning this award was as much a lock as Foxx winning the best actor.

2. Have to admit though, after The Aviator had won so many of the early awards I was afraid they were going to give it the Best Picture award as well.

3. Loved it when Hiliary refused to stop talking and leave because she hadn't talked about Clint yet.

4. Morgan Freeman = nothing but class.

5. Clint - Humble, funny, and cool as always.

6. So glad Sideways got the screenplay award over The Aviator. Sideways was easily the second best movie I saw last year... brilliant dialogue.

7. Chris Rock was just ok. sometimes funny... more often not. Didn't really like his putdown jokes on the other actors even though he put himself down in the same thread... just wasn't the place for it... I mean this awards show was honoring the acting profession and the film business.

8. Really missed Billy Crystal jumping in Clint's lap like he did back when Unforgiven won.

9. Everybody ( at least those with some actual film knowledge) knows that Scorcese is a great director and not winning an Oscar won't diminish that legacy.

10. What a great night for all us Clint fans and those who loved Million Dollar Baby. Now we will probably have to go thru all this nerve-racking stuff again in a few years after Flags of our Fathers comes out.

exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »

On Sunday morning before the Academy Awards on the show - Sunday morning shootout (on the American Movie Classics channel), the two hosts interviewed several of the nominees during separate segments of the show.

One segment had 4 of the best actress nominees including Hiliary Swank and Annette Bening.

One segment had just Morgan Freeman and Thomas Church.  Church went on and on about how much Freeman was his hero and how watching Freeman made him want to become an actor.  He really knew all about Freemans film career.

Another segment had the screenwriter of Finding Neverland and Paul Haggis who of course wrote M$B. It was interesting to find out that Haggis had written tons of tv shows for many highly rated television series.
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2005, 03:24:03 PM »

...........BRAVO. ;) O0

-Blu (a bit late)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:29:37 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T