News: Now in post-production: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last CD you bought ?  (Read 115989 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 04:34:02 AM »

Anyone heard of these new Dualdisc CD/DVD's.
One side is a CD,the other is DVD which also includes the tracks from the CD in 5.1 surround sound.I came across it on the Springsteen website.That's how his new CD will be released in April.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

http://www.dualdisc.com/index.html

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gino M

The Godfather... as a kid.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 10:59:55 AM »

It's been a long time since I actually bought any new music been listening to the old quite a lot.  I'd say that the last cd I purchased was a Sinatra cd but Matt will probably hunt me down if I say that.   :D   Needless to say thanks to Matt I'm hooked on rock now.

The last cd's that I remember getting were some of Matt's favorites. Hint.. Hint.. Matt.. it's time for some a new list and some more. ;) ;) :D :D :D

"I'm in waste management!!  If anyone asks you...."You ain't seen nothin'!"
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 11:05:04 AM »

Keep buying those Beatles (especially the 1966-1970 studio releases--stay away from compilations) CDs and The Rolling Stones are always great to listen to. John Lennon's solo albums are fantastic. Do you have any U2? Doug just bought my favorite of theirs "War". Great, great stuff there.

If you want to know about newer music, I'm not the one to fill you in. The "newest" I listen to is "Alice in Chains" and "Live".
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 11:12:37 AM »

Never heard of it.  What's that like?  I've been meaning to buy the Lennon box set for a while now, but just haven't for some unknown reason. 

If you're going to buy the box set, you probably don't want to get "Acoustic", since I believe 9 of the 16 tracks are on Anthology. If you don't think you'll ever invest in the box set, I'd go with "Acoustic" after you've already got all of John's studio albums and the live album. "Acoustic" is good as a supplement, but man... all his solo albums are much better. "Acoustic" does have a nice version of "Imagine", but I was disappointed with some tracks... especially a 42 second version of "Woman is the @#*%!& of the World". It sounded great... but only ONE VERSE. You mean to tell me Yoko didn't have a demo of that complete song somewhere that could have been put on there instead?

I'm going to get "Walls & Bridges" and "Some Time in NY City" on CD next and then I'll probably buy Anthology.

(Anyone who's as big a Lennon fan as I am would probably understand how hard it was for me to listen to his solo music again. I loved this stuff until he was killed, and then could hardly put it on the turntable again after that. I've never found it hard to listen to the Beatles since then, but the solo music always brings me back to that day, which is why I hadn't ever bought the CDs. Finally, my brother bought me "Acoustic" for Christmas, and a good friend bought me the other three studio albums I listed above... and it was heartbreaking to hear those songs again... and at the same time... absolutely fantastic. They're better than I remembered, and to hear them without the cracks and hisses of vinyl is breathtaking.)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 12:47:03 PM »

Always loved Walls and Bridges. Fantastic album.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »

The very last one I bought was Million Dollar Baby soundtrack  O0 ^-^ ... haven't received it yet though (ordered it on Amazon)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 03:10:27 PM »

You'll enjoy the concert Lilly, don't wait for the rain  ;). Diana Krall is a fantastic talent. Great pianist and wonderful singer combined.  :)

Gant you tickled my fancy...last night I popped in the DVD for a few minutes.  Watched the extra videos (not too sure about the Let's face the music and dance one) and the first number of the concert.  Loved it - I haven't watched concert dvds before and I was pleasantly surprised by the closeness and good camera work.  It seemed to capture the atmosphere.  So I am looking forward very much to taking time to watch the whole thing.  You're right, she is a fantastic talent.  And I liked watching the expressions of the guys she's playing with - that's so cool about jazz, you get the band members playing off each other and larking about.  I went to see Dave Brubeck and Wynton Marsalis (separately) in Edinburgh, and all the players were so fun messing with each other. O0

The last CD I bought was "Let it Be - Naked", which I love. Who else has both versions, and which do you prefer?

[...]"Imagine" (not the Soundtrack, but the original album), and "Mind Games".  I had the last three, but on vinyl. Now that I have these albums again, I'm amazed I went this long without them on CD. They're all so damn good.
Yes Lennon solo is ace.  I have Imagine on vinyl, it's brilliant.  O0  I love Let It Be too, but haven't tried the Naked version.  My sister has it so I'll check it out. 

Anyone who's as big a Lennon fan as I am would probably understand how hard it was for me to listen to his solo music again. I loved this stuff until he was killed, and then could hardly put it on the turntable again after that. I've never found it hard to listen to the Beatles since then, but the solo music always brings me back to that day
It's interesting how different generations respond to music because of their collective experiences.  I've never known a time when Lennon wasn't dead, and I never thought about that before, but I can see how it would be upsetting.  Matt, I always think of his life being from another era, so I looked up the date of his death and was surprised to see it was as late as 1980.  It must have been odd indeed to have lived through that.  I'm not that much younger than you, but to me the whole Beatles phenomenon is a historical thing.  The music must mean something quite different if you lived through the "mania".

I love "Take it Easy" too. I could hear the song start playing in my head when I read this post (but you left out the part about the girl in a flat-bed Ford slowing down to take a look at me ;)).
;D Yeah, those are cool lyrics.  Quite a few Eagles songs seem to capture something of the Americana that I like.  8)  Has anyone been to Winslow?  They have a special Standin' On The Corner Park, with a  statue of a guy on the corner, and painted windows in the nearest building depicting the girl in the flatbed Ford. 8)  Somewhere I have a photo of me there.  It's a very cool place - quiet now, but everywhere reminders of the heyday of Route 66.  8)
Coogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 12:01:46 PM »

Joe Clay

Rock On

Guess you didn't here the lady..... did you Boy!
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 06:34:52 PM »

I bought about two weeks ago Judas Priest`s latest cd Angel Of Retribution just before Priest came to Finland and rocked big time in Tampere and Helsinki.

I was in both shows and got to tell you that JUDAS PRIEST IS BACK.

The new cd is a already a classic Priest album like British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance and Painkiller.Very heavy but still got lots of catchy choruses and wonderful tunes.

The guitar work from KK Downing and Glen tipton is as great as it ever been.

And most importantly Rob Halford is back on vocals.The man truly is Metal God.His voice is amazing even though he is already 53 years old.

I love this album and what I´ve heard so does everybody else.It was in #17 in  charts in USA  and it`s#4 in Finland  O0

ps.did someone mentioned Frank Sinatra and Rat Pack  :o You can`t go wrong with Sinatra.I also love his music.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 04:22:36 PM »

I just bought another CD from a group I really like. The latest Relient K album called MmHmm. It's a Christian band of young twenty-somethings and they're growing up quite nicely. I have their previous three CDs and this one is sounding really great.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2005, 01:15:28 AM »

Saw a good band last night. The Doves...from Manchester.

Latest cd bought..The soundtrack to "The Harder They Come"

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
bito

Robert & Francesca

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2005, 12:32:03 AM »

I have bought

Film music by Ennio Morricone
The very best of Gerry and the Pacemakers
The best of Henry Mancini

You'll never walk alone
LFC Forever
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 12:45:10 AM »

Like a few of us I just bought Million Dollar Baby CD.  Brilliant. 8)
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2005, 02:13:35 AM »

MDB - its lovely - like track 8

england -  its flag the St George flag
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2005, 03:15:14 AM »

Track 8 is Kyle's is it not?   I kept expecting it to build up into  a classical piece I know but couldn't quite get to it if you know what I mean.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 05:19:51 PM »

The full edition of Kelly's heroes.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Admiral Piett

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 08:12:15 PM »

I just got Judas Priest's Angel Of Retribution a few days ago.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 09:49:13 PM »

I just got Judas Priest's Angel Of Retribution a few days ago.

Excellent !What do you think of it?

I think it`s already a classic heavymetal album/cd.

Lochness and Hellrider are the top songs but there`s no weak song.

JUDAS PRIEST RULES!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:28:01 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 05:09:50 AM »

Million Dollar Baby official soundtrack

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2005, 04:00:21 AM »

This is jazz.

Tony Bennett

Never been a big fan of jazz but after listening to this,I might buy some more from this "This is Jazz" collection.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T