News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »

Poll

What do you think about another "Dirty Harry" sequel?

Iam totally for it!
49 (46.2%)
I think its a bad idea
49 (46.2%)
Iam for it,but with another actor playing Harry
8 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you for another Dirty Harry?  (Read 69746 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2003, 10:38:30 AM »

Actually, he didn't say he was "too old for Dirty Harry" ... he said he was "too old to make comic books."

"I've even had suggestions to go back and revisit Harry Callahan," he said. "But sometimes you have to move on in certain things and that's not where I am today."

Eastwood is in Cannes with the new film he has directed, Mystic River.

A dark tale of child abuse, it stars Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins as childhood friends whose lives were torn apart when one of them was abducted by a paedophile.

He said: "I'm too old to make comic books. I've nothing against them, I like a good adventure film as much as the next guy, but it's not for me. I still like to think there's an audience there for serious adult stories.

(from the link D'Amb posted above)
zodiac

"..hubba, hubba, hubba...."

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2003, 03:11:30 AM »

::)
Down from the original masterpiece, the "Harry" series slipped into increasing self-parody. The sequence began by making bullsh*t free points about wider issues, and washed up at "The Dead Pool" laughing only at itself. We ALL broadly know that, with each successive outing, Harry Callahan hit less hard. But I LOVE all five movies - each for itself, and in a different way. I'm only honestly in AWE of the first, though. I've LIVED by the damn thing - like a rule - for years.
As to a sixth film? YES! OF COURSE! But with somebody other than Clint in the title role, and, maybe, Clint in a marginal cameo role? NO! NEVER!
I care enough about Harry to want to know about where he is now - to know about what he's doing as he slips into his dotage, ex-SFPD.
Given the right script, and an elegaic Munny-esque performance from the great man, a sixth Harry might just round out one of world cinema's greatest and most popular series on a high note. He's GOTTA go out on a smoking Magnum .44. A harpoon? NEVER! FACE IT!
Whaddya reckon?
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2003, 07:30:48 PM »

::)

As to a sixth film? YES! OF COURSE! But with somebody other than Clint in the title role, and, maybe, Clint in a marginal cameo role? NO! NEVER!
I care enough about Harry to want to know about where he is now - to know about what he's doing as he slips into his dotage, ex-SFPD.
Given the right script, and an elegaic Munny-esque performance from the great man, a sixth Harry might just round out one of world cinema's greatest and most popular series on a high note. He's GOTTA go out on a smoking Magnum .44. A harpoon? NEVER! FACE IT!
Whaddya reckon?

......Zodiac, this is exactly the opinion I've been espousing on this website for the last few years.   But trying to get Clint to do one last Dirty Harry on this site, is sort of like trying to break down the front gates of a medieval fortress with a battering ram. Unfortunately however, we can't quite seem to   get the door open. .......Blu     8)    
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 07:48:06 PM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
sartana

'Someone left the cake out in the rain..'

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2003, 01:46:44 AM »

I don't think it'd be a good idea but hey, what do i know!
As for another actor playing Harry...It reeks too much of a hideous hollywood remake (eg Get Carter, The Italian job..). Mind you, i guess it won't be too long before 'they' start remaking films like Dirty Harry, the french connection etc..
It's Monday morning so excuse the hysterical typing!
 ::) :P

"Senor Ramirez is a very dangerous poet.."
'Corri, uomo, corri' - 1968
The Man With No Name

"A lot faster than you'll ever live to be."

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2003, 05:27:17 PM »

I dunno on this one...

Clint IS and always will be Dirty Harry in my opinion....
I just cringe everytime I think that Sinatra could have had the role... Sorry ole Blue Eyes! In all due respect, Clint molded Harry to the icon of cinema that he is today.

I could go either way on this one... The die-hard fan inside of me would pay almost any price to see Harry on the big screen again... However... the script's gotta be juuuuust right...

I'd end up saying... "Let sleeping dogs lie." If Clint ever finds a suitable script and he's up for it, I'm behind him 110%.

I'd kind of like to see a biography, like "made for tv" movie about Clint. I think Hugh Jackman could portray Clint with justice.

"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2003, 07:57:39 PM »

I'd kind of like to see a biography, like "made for tv" movie about Clint. I think Hugh Jackman could portray Clint with justice.

The thing about that idea is that the execs making it, would want to glorify Clint and make him to be some bad ass druggie hippie. They'ed need to through some hard edgy stuff in their to get ratings.
The Man With No Name

"A lot faster than you'll ever live to be."

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2003, 12:59:52 PM »

It depends... I mean Jim Carrey did a great job with Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon... I think Clint could probably oversee the whole thing... Plus it could be on Warner Bros. table and they have some history with Clint. If they ever did make a made for tv movie about Clint's life, I'd be sure to get the TiVo ready. 8)

"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
bdc28
Classic Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2003, 02:46:20 PM »

What the actual debate was, COULD someone else play Dirty Harry?

I was the one that mentioned Michael Madsen, and I still hold to that. Of course, if you were looking for a complete REPRISAL of lovable Harry, it probably wouldnt happen.

Dirty Harry is a complex character, that makes him look amazingly simple. Its almost impossible to redo that character, and many cinematically have tried.

I mentioned Michael Madsen, because he has the same aura of danger that Clint Eastwood does. He is one of the few actors that can stand still, make a slight facial gesture, and make you feel like "The $#!ts about to hit the fan". He can do with his face and body what others have to do with script, thats rare.

But for the most part, even HE would fall short. He couldnt do the deadpan humor, have a lovable side. It would be a very dark, dirty, unlovable Dirty Harry.

Lets face it, no one can do it but Clint. I mean, you could remake El Dorado, but why???

"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing wearing my pajamas I have no idea..."
donald

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2004, 05:25:20 PM »

i believe steven seagal would be the perfect choice to reprise the role of the "new and improved dirty harry callahan" of our age in filmdom
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

i believe steven seagal would be the perfect choice to reprise the role of the "new and improved dirty harry callahan" of our age in filmdom
No, he wouldn't.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2004, 11:26:49 PM »

I also don't think that he would be a very good choice for Dirty Harry. However, I don't really think anybody would be a particularly good choice for another Dirty Harry, so I admit that I am a bit biased. Donald, why is it that you like Steven so much, anyway? Is there any particular reason? Other than that, though, I'd just like to say that it really isn't necessary to mention him in almost every post that you make on the board. I'd like to hear your thoughts about other topics, but personally, I find it a bit unnerving when he's in every one of your posts. We understand that you like him, but most of us don't share your enthusiasm. It's just something for you to think about, but I'd appreciate if you gave this thought some consideration :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2004, 06:54:26 AM »

I think I have said this before,  Dirty Harry WAS Clint and NO ONE else could play it.  Why spoil it with a second rate 'new' movie? ???
jk

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2004, 10:05:47 AM »

Yes, I would like to see another Dirty Harry. An older, more mature Harry could still work... and readily handle a 44. What's more, this is Clint's character. Suggestions of anyone else doing it is sacrilege.  :o

"If you have to shoot, shoot... don't talk." ~ Tuco
DaveInCampbell

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2005, 01:31:41 PM »

If Mr. Eastwood reads these threads, or if someone can get this message to Mr. Eastwood, would you/he consider making one "last" Dirty Harry film? You could tie the film into modern times. As an example, the opening scene could be Dirty Harry attending his retirement party in San Francisco only to have it interrupted by a terrorist plot gone awry. You guessed it... Dirty Harry tracks down and eliminates the terrorist cell one guy at a time... "then" he gets back to his heroic retirement... ;) Just a thought Mr. Eastwood... ;)
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2005, 02:28:50 PM »

Welcome to the Clint Eastwood Forums, DaveInCampbell.

We already had this topic about having another Dirty Harry movie, so I merged your post into this one.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2005, 01:50:51 PM »

Blu, I think a movie for charity is a great idea! I sincerely doubt that it would ever happen, but it would send a powerful message of caring and compassion and would help to dispel the notion that the Hollywood movie studios are mainly interested in making money. I think it would be a bit difficult to get a lot of stars all together at the same time due to their differing schedules, but the idea is a good one.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2005, 08:26:41 PM »

If anyone wonders what AKA is talking about, he is evidently responding to a post by Blu in another thread in this forum:
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=3300.msg49029#msg49029

AKA, Hollywood movie studios ARE mainly interested in making money.  That is why it's called "Show Business," not "Show Charity."

I don't see the point in this. Sporting events and concerts are one thing, but it takes a year or more to get most films made and released, by which time the urgent need for catastrophe relief will have passed. Wouldn't it be better just for Hollywood's wealthy stars, executives and corporations (and not only Hollywood's) to give generously, now, when the need is most pressing? As some are doing already. Sandra Bullock (who is probably not the richest of stars), for one, has given one million dollars to the Red Cross for the tsunami relief effort
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/03/tsunami.bullock.ap/

This is, however, extremely off topic. If anyone wants to start a "Let's Make a Movie for Charity" thread in the Off Topic forum, you're welcome to do so.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2005, 10:33:33 PM »

This has to be the longest debate on such a yes or no subject. The gay Thunderbolt and Lightfoot argument at least had some points of view.  :D

I think we all know that Harry will not return being played by Clint Eastwood. It could be possible as he was good as a character in retirement ( Blood Work ), but even that was stretched a little especially in the conclusion.

Sadly I do think we will see Harry played by someone else. As with most remakes it will be poor and only cling to the original good moments when all else is lost.

As others have said there is only one man who can play Dirty Harry, but you try telling that to the people who green light these awful remakes in an industry that appears to have no new ideas.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2005, 12:05:10 AM »

As others have said there is only one man who can play Dirty Harry, but you try telling that to the people who green light these awful remakes in an industry that appears to have no new ideas.

"We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. Our obligation is to make money." - Don Simpson, Producer ;)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »

"We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. Our obligation is to make money." - Don Simpson, Producer ;)

An abuser of power that came to a pathetic end.  :-X

Sadly not enough money is made considering inflated stars egos.  ^-^

Going off topic so will stop here.  :(

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T