News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Famous People You've Met  (Read 13821 times)
Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:32:59 AM »

I must confess . I get a kick out of meeting movies stars or the like when I get the chance . Without exception they've been very charming and well worth talking to . Plus it's great to have momentos like signed pictures etc.
I'd be really interested to find out who's bumped into who . Here's a quick list of my claims to fame starting with ............ you know who .

Clint Eastwood

Christopher Lee

Roger Moore

Linda Blair

Debbie Harry ( Blondie )

Caroline Munro

Britt Ekland

Andy Robinson

Leonard Nimoy

Sean Connery

Willem Defoe

Robert Englund ( Freddy )

Princess Diana

George Lazenby

Ingrid Pitt

Plus tons of cast members from Buffy & Angel thanks to all the conventions I've taken my daughter to .
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 10:51:51 AM »

• Kurt Vonnegut
  • Joel Cox
  • Joel & Ethan Coen
  • Robert Altman
  • Buck Henry
  • Frank Miller
  • Will Eisner
  • Paul Schrader
  • Shane Black
  • Polly Platt
  • Michael Chabon
  • Chuck Palahniuk
  • Andrew Kevin Walker
  • Cary Elwes
  • M. Emmet Walsh
  • Scott Thompson
  • Charles Dutton
  • Lyle Lovett
  • Eric Roberts
  • David Sedaris
And a whole host of others including a lot more screenwriters, but those above are some of the most notable, and most of those I had more than just a handshake meeting, but got to actually speak to them for a while.

The best, I must say, is Clint's longtime editor Joel Cox. Years ago now KC and I got to speak with him for, what, like close to an hour or so? Just the three of us talking about Eastwood's films. 'Twas a blast. Incredibly nice guy, and very happy to talk about his craft and the business. Because it was such a nice talk, he is the one and only movie-related celebrity I've asked for their autograph. To remember the night, and because I can't believe Joel gets asked a whole heck of a lot, as most casual movie fans couldn't name two editors or guess what they do, much less recognize them in public. I had him sign a little color print of a scene from A Perfect World I made up, just in case the urge hit me.

I'll have authors sign their books of course, but that's very different to me than asking a movie star or the like to sign a napkin or a poster. Beside the fact that I'd have no idea what to do with the signature once I had it, I can't even think about asking without feeling like Rupert Pupkin from The King of Comedy.

ANYway....

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:35:42 PM »

I once had to ask Frank Bruno to vacate my bar stool... :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »

I've actually came across some professional wrestlers. Anybody remember Virgil, the Million Dollar Man's "bodyguard"?

He was at a mall and my brother and I had our picture taken with him and he signed it.

At a county fair, I got the autograph of my favorite wrestler, Junkyard Dog.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 03:17:07 PM »

About a hundred years ago I met Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh when they came to Australia and I did speak to them both.

I have met a number of my favourite authors including Val McDermid who wrote the book 'Wire in the Blood' (UK TV series) is based on.

Ruth Rendal
P D James
Robert Goddard

David Jason
Julie Walters
Judi Dench
Celia Imrie
Billy Fury
Ken Dodd
Rick Wakeman
Shirley Bassey
John Denver
Rolfe Harris
The Beatles
Pam Ayres
Paula Wilcox
Windsor Davies
Jimmy Nail
Gary Wilmot
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 04:46:13 PM »

I've talked on the phone to Rob Schneider, who was really cool. A friend of mine living in Nashville saw him in a concert, bought him a beer, and put him on the phone with me, since I'm a Sandler fan. Rob was really friendly... and quite wasted.  That was the coolest "celebrity encounter" I've had. I really don't have much to speak of.

I've gotten autographs of some of the New York Yankees, since they're very accessible at the spring training games that I go to. I wouldn't say I've "met" any of them, but I did have a few words with Mariano Rivera, one of the (if not THE) greatest closers of all time. He signed a ball for me. Same with Jason Giambi. I waited in line when Reggie Jackson was signing stuff at Tropicana Field before a game, and he was as rude as all the stories say he is. But, he signed my Yankees hat, and I wear it a lot. I also got a ticket signed by Don Mattingly. I have a nice little "Yankees" collection in my office now, but I feel like a total schmuck getting autographs.  When Mattingly was leaving to board the bus, he stopped for one autograph, and there were probably a 100 of us there. I had just happened to be walking by when I saw him, and was in the right place at the right time. I quickly held out my ticket, and was the lucky Joe who got an autograph. I actually said, "Thank you, sir!" And then mentally kicked myself for sounding as much like a schmuck as I felt.... "SIR Don Mattingly"   Well, he IS great.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 07:11:55 PM by Matt » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 04:58:35 PM »

Wow, you guys are a bunch of jet-setters!   Lin - The Beatles! :o 8) Wow.

Like I said somewhere else I "met" Prince Charles once briefly.  (Hasn't he got himself in some bother today! ;D  To me he looked either drunk or out of it somehow. ???)

My mum was a make-up designer, first at the BBC and then at Anglia TV and freelance.  So I got to see various people at her work, but I was rather shy and mostly kept away from it all.  I can't think of anyone REALLY famous, just people like Jane Lapotaire, Johnny Ball, Martin Shaw, Roy Castle, lots of newsreaders, Holly Aird, Liza Goddard, Harry Secombe.  The cooler stuff she worked on was when I was too wee to remember.

Trigger off Only Fools and Horses once bought 2lb of apples from me when I worked on a greengrocer's market stall. ;D

General Sir Peter de la Billiere (former commander of the SAS and head of UK Forces in the first Gulf War) came to our school once.  He is the coolest man.  An outstanding soldier.

Another military person, not really famous, but rather prominent, Air Chief Marshall Sir Michael Stear also came to our school and I was in the Guard of Honour.  Here's one for y'all to laugh at:

That's him inspecting, and me on the far left. ;D  Bear in mind that photo is 10 years old.  And yes, I know, we look a bloody mess. :-[

Through politics societies at uni I met Malcolm Rifkind, Stephen Twigg, Francis Maude, Lembit Opek (that was a bit of a downer because Paddy Ashdown was supposed to come but couldn't at the last minute.)  John Major has a house in the next village to where I used to live in Norfolk, but I only saw him about - didn't meet him.  (That was a few years after he'd finished being Prime Minister.)

When I was 12 I went on a Steve Bruce soccer camp, and got to meet and play football with him, Bryan Robson (that was the coolest!) and other Man. U. players at the time like Peter Schmeichel, Mark Hughes and Brian McClair. 8) 8) 

Robbo made me do 10 press-ups because I went wrong in this training game, but I couldn't do them! :-[  He was nice about it though. :)  I have their autographs. (The above isn't one of them.)

Met Chris Bonington and got his autograph when he gave a talk at Uni of East Anglia.

Author-wise, Iain Rankin was a regular at the coffee shop I worked at in Edinburgh.  I haven't read his stuff.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »

Hey Lilly that is quite an impressive list.    I love the photo of you in your uniform, you don't look a bloody mess at all.

You have met some greats from TV through your Mum.

Like I said somewhere else I "met" Prince Charles once briefly. (Hasn't he got himself in some bother today! ;D To me he looked either drunk or out of it somehow. ???)

Charles sure has blotted his copy book today with his comments,  Yup he did seem out of it.  Perhaps finally getting Camilla has freaked him out :D

Author-wise, Iain Rankin was a regular at the coffee shop I worked at in Edinburgh. I haven't read his stuff.

I like Rankin's books and if you know Edinburgh they are even better. I would have loved to have met him.
Gary Wilmot and Jimmy Nail both needed fuel and so I got to serve them.  Gary Wilmot was so nice and gave me his autograph but Jimmy Nail was almost rude so I didn't even ask him and tried to pretend I didn't know who he was while telling him how to get back on the A1 North ;D ;D

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 05:46:03 PM »

Thanks Lin.

Jimmy Nail was almost rude so I didn't even ask him and tried to pretend I didn't know who he was while telling him how to get back on the A1 North  ;D ;D

;D ;D Yeah send him back up here to Geordie land!  It's grim up North. ;D

I like Rankin's books and if you know Edinburgh they are even better. I would have loved to have met him.
Maybe I should check him out.  He's certainly acclaimed and he seems a nice bloke too.  Likes his croissants.

Charles sure has blotted his copy book today with his comments,  Yup he did seem out of it.  Perhaps finally getting Camilla has freaked him out  :D
Yeah.  I'm about as loyal a monarchist as you can get, but I have to admit to feeling very disappointed.  The Queen for sure is going to give him one hell of a rocket for this!  More than anything I'm concerned that he didn't seem to know what was going on. ???  What a shame just a week before the wedding.  I fear it's going to spoil it. :( 
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 06:00:25 PM »

Yeah. I'm about as loyal a monarchist as you can get, but I have to admit to feeling very disappointed. The Queen for sure is going to give him one hell of a rocket for this! More than anything I'm concerned that he didn't seem to know what was going on. ??? What a shame just a week before the wedding. I fear it's going to spoil it. :(

I'm with you there Lilly.  I wonder if everything is getting too much for him with the wedding and how it has had so many difficulties. Also there is William and his girlfriend, this  could be bothering Charles that his son will make the same mistakes he made.  Perhaps Camilla not being there was a factor too.   Personally I wish they would leave them alone.  :(    Nicholas Witchel (spelling) is usually so good at drawing people out and getting interesting interviews.  I don't think he asked the right questions this time.  He rather put William and Harry on the spot asking them if they were pleased their father was to marry Camilla.  What COULD they say!    The microphones were an invasion of his privacy as they picked up something said quietly to his sons.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »

I missed Paul Newman at a NASCAR race. I didn't know it was him until later in the day. I met Tony Danza at a race last year  and I've also met Patrick McKenna, who's a Canadian actor (Red Green Show, Traders, guest spot on Stargate SG-1, other stuff). And of course various NASCAR drivers. Not too much in the "meeting of the famous people" department for me.  ;D
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 06:26:34 PM »

I missed Paul Newman at a NASCAR race. I didn't know it was him until later in the day.

:D  Oh man what a bummer Brendan.  Sorry to hear that. :(

Lin, I thought we were getting a bit off-topic so I started a new thread for the Charles/wedding stuff HERE.. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 06:31:52 PM by Lilly » Logged
tmw3nyc

My mule don't like you painting the town red.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »

Ah, I've met a lot of famous people being in the city I'm in, and you just see them around doing day to day stuff in the streets too.  But the most famous person I've met I would have to say was the former President Bill Clinton, he called me Buddy, which was cool I guess.  He much bigger than you'd think.  But when I think about it his dog was named Buddy, so he probably just called everyone Buddy until he got his dog. 
Second, I  guess would be the former Mayor Guiliani, i met him a few times.  He was really nice.
A bunch of movie people and sports stars and politicos I'd say too but I'd have to run through a list I guess...mostly Mets and Yankees.  I met the Chicago Bulls whole team once, man those guys are tall.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:27:43 PM »

I've met a few B-list athletes and celebs, but the only notable person I've stumbled across was Kevin Bacon when he was visiting Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va way back in '91 or '92.  I was working there at the time.

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 11:14:51 PM »

Well ... I've NEVER met a famous Person  :'( :'( !
The only one , maybe ... THE REAL MICKEY MOUSE in his OWN SMALL HOUSE  ... in Disneyworld  ;D ;D ;D  ;D !!!

The only one I'd like to see, just see Him , not to talk to Him because I'll be too  :D    is ... Clint Eastwood !  :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 11:43:11 PM »

I met Tony Danza at a race last year 
Wow I love Tony Danza  O0

Who's The Boss
... used to be one of my fav TV shows  :D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 12:57:13 AM »

Come on Lin.. tells us about the Billy Fury meeting.  One of the few really good singers from that era of British pop music.....

oh yeah..and just for those who don't know who Frank Bruno is.... he was  heavyweight champ of the world. (for a brief spell ;))

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 01:21:13 AM »

Come on Lin.. tells us about the Billy Fury meeting. One of the few really good singers from that era of British pop music.....

I was only about 10,  my aunt had something to do with arranging the artists and shows at the Liverpool Empire and as I was staying with her at the time she took me with her to the theatre for a meeting of somesort.  She is no longer alive or I would ask her exactly what she did there. Billy was rehearsing for his show that week and I was a wide eyed, nearly teenager, in love with this guy.  I was allowed to see him on the stage from the wings and he came and spoke to me.  He took a break for a cigarette (it was cool in those days) and after he went back on stage I took the butt from the ashtray and kept it until it disintergrated when I was about 16.  He was very nice to me and asked if I would be at one of the shows and I said I would and he told me to enjoy myself.   My aunt was then forced to take me to see the show.  She hated it and I was mesmerized the whole time he was on stage. 
I met the Beatles the same way via my aunt.   I was more in awe of Billy than of them at the time.  I still play the music of both Billy and the Beatles but my musical interests have turned more to jazz nowadays.
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 01:23:27 AM »

ha ha gant - and you like towered over him  ;D

england -  its flag the St George flag
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 05:30:16 AM »

richard harriss and leonard nimoy are the most famous peolpe i met nimoy briefly but thankfully i was in a pub after a munster game where harris was holding court an absolutely spellbinding and charismatic figure, sorely missed

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T