News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Haggis and Clint Eastwood  (Read 4313 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »

This story, in yesterday's New York Times (3/14), touches on several Eastwood projects, so I'm giving it a thread of its own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/14/movies/14hagg.html?

Here are the chief parts that relate to Eastwood:

The New York Times
March 14, 2005
Filmmaker Finds Métier Exploring a Gray Zone

By DAVID M. HALBFINGER

... When [Haggis] made his break from television, it was no coincidence that his first two screenplays, written on spec, traded heavily in moral dilemmas and shades of gray. What he could not have expected was that there would be such a demand in Hollywood for his brand of complexity.

The first, "Million Dollar Baby," which won four Academy Awards including best picture, was made with the three stars Mr. Haggis had envisioned when he wrote it: Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman. Mr. Eastwood shot the movie without rewriting a single page of Mr. Haggis's script, which was nominated for the best adapted screenplay Oscar....

Mr. Haggis said that it was the idea of "people getting their shot" that drew him to the short stories on which "Million Dollar Baby" was based. "You've got these losers," he said, "who just didn't realize they were losers, and so they kept fighting."

It took Mr. Haggis five or six years, and two mortgages on his house, to get his shot in film, but suddenly he is one of Hollywood's hottest properties. Steven Spielberg has hired him to write and direct a film that neither would discuss, and Mr. Haggis has finished the script for Mr. Eastwood's next project, "Flags of Our Fathers," the troubling story of a man's effort to understand his father's role in raising the American flag on Iwo Jima.

Mr. Haggis and Mr. Eastwood are also collaborating on an ambitious idea to simultaneously produce a second Iwo Jima film. An unknown writer, Iris Yama$#!ta, has been hired to write the script with Mr. Haggis for a movie that would be told from the Japanese point of view and shot in Japanese side by side with "Flags of Our Fathers."

As if that were not enough, Mr. Haggis has adapted and is directing "Death and Dishonor," in which he said he hoped Mr. Eastwood would star. It is based on a Playboy magazine article about a retired soldier searching for his soldier son, who he learns was murdered by members of his platoon after returning from Iraq.

gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 12:01:57 AM »

Wow, if Clint starred in something like Death and Dishonor, that would sound great

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 12:37:08 AM »

yeeeehah we are getting more clint on screen that has made my day  O0

england -  its flag the St George flag
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 12:54:47 AM »

Don't get too excited yet,he only said he hoped Clint would star.But you're right it would be great.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:57:20 AM »

All three projects sound phenomenal. Go Clint go!
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 06:36:04 PM »

http://movieweb.com/news/news.php?id=7008

Here's some more info about Death and Dishonor.

-Dirty Harry
skunker

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 10:44:42 AM »

Is there anymore info about "Flags of our Fathers" ? There's some new stuff over at the http://www.the-pacific-war.com/phpBB2 forum.

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »

skunker -

Did you see THIS thread on the subject?
Steven

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 01:50:10 AM »

gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 02:20:11 PM »

Thanks for the info Steven  O0

-Dirty Harry
outlaw josey

Whooped 'm again boy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 12:14:32 AM »

I am realy looking forward to DEATH AND DISHOUNOUR.
A movie starring Clint (hopefully), but not directing

So exciting: ::)

-Will Clint accept the part
-will his acting be even more superb when he can fully
 concentrate on it
-can Haggis direct Clint as good as Clint can

endeavor to persevere
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM »

-can Haggis direct Clint as good as Clint can

Let`s hope that Haggis is not another Richard Tuggle  ;)

Great screewriter but crap behind the camera...if I remeber it correctly it was really Eastwood who directed Tightrope.Lucky for us.The film is great.

Well ofcourse Eastwood has to accept the role first...and if he refuse it?How about Gene Hackman or James Caan  ???

They would be perfect for the role as well but I do hope that Eastwood accepts the role.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 09:44:57 AM »

Last week's Entertainment Weekly (May 20, Star Wars cover) had an article on Paul Haggis. The following paragraph discusses Haggis' future projects. Death and Dishonor is NOT listed as his next directing gig:

Following Million Dollar Baby, director Eastwood hired him to adapt the Iwo Jima war tale Flags of our Father, which Spielberg is producing. Elsewhere, Zach Braff is starring in the romance The Last Kiss, based on his adapted screenplay. Next winter, Haggis will direct the family dramedy Honeymoon With Harry, possibly starring Vince Vaughn.

Here's the link, which is subscription-only:
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1060819_1_0_,00.html
exit00

Dying ain't much of a livin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 02:12:39 PM »

Let`s hope that Haggis is not another Richard Tuggle  ;)

Based on the current movie Crash which is in theatres now (which Haggis both wrote AND directed), it's obvious that Haggis is not a hack behind the camera. I certainly recommend this movie... one of the better ones I've seen this year.

Death and Dishonor sounds like a perfect story for Clint to act in..... keeping my fingers crossed.

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 04:48:44 PM »

Thank you for the update MC. 

Perhaps they are looking at another director for Death and Dishonor?  Maybe Eastwood?  I hope it hasn't been shelved, but maybe there was good reason to do so.  Anyway, Flags of our Fathers is surely going to keep them busy for some time, especially if there is to be a sister film from the Japanese perspective.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »

For those board members wondering about the status of Death and Dishonor, a Paul Haggis project once rumored to involve Clint Eastwood, I recently saw a blurb in Entertainment Weekly (sorry, couldn't find an online version) indicating that Tommy Lee Jones was starring.

A quick visit to the Internet Movie Database reveals that the project is now called In The Valley of Elah, with Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron starring and Haggis directing (and Frances Fisher in a supporting role).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478134/

On the one hand, I'm disappointed since I thought it sounded like an interesting film for Clint, but on the other I'm excited to see him do a project with someone other than Haggis (nothing against him, on the whole I enjoyed his collaborations with Clint, but it will be fun to see some new blood in the mix). Hopefully we'll hear some news soon on whether that will be The Changeling or something else...
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »

Thanks a lot, MC.  I was wondering about Death and Dishonor, and thought it sounded like an interesting project.  I'll still be interested in it anyway, as Haggis is good.  I can imagine Tommy Lee Jones being good for the part.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T