News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First HD-DVD issues announced for Q4 '05 M$B inc...  (Read 3324 times)
tmw3nyc

My mule don't like you painting the town red.

View Profile Email
« on: January 07, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »

Several studios announced the first HD-DVD's to be introduced in the fourth quarter of this year.

Million Dollar Baby is one of them.¬  The only Eastwood movie I saw on cursory glace through the different studio offerings....

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jan/1106003.htm
tmw3nyc

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:16:40 PM »

4 of Warner's 52 titles are Seagal movies  ::)

I know that will get some replies from a couple of you out there....
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 10:49:14 PM »

"Let the battle begin!! HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray only $99.95 on PAY-PER-VIEW!!"

It's cool that Warners is releasing Million Dollar Baby on HD-DVD but as of right now who knows if they'll even bother with extras or if they'll just release another edition down the road. But looking at the titles (Harry Potter, Matrix, Batman Begins) you know they're serious about this stuff. It's BETA and VHS all over again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 10:51:09 PM by Brendan » Logged
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 10:49:35 PM »

Does this mean that I have to buy a HD TV or projector now :-\.

WKC.

tmw3nyc

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 07:22:03 PM »

To play them you'll need a hd-dvd player, supposed to be about 1k this year and prob will go down.  There's a PC hd-dvd that they are making so if you HTPC it would be cheaper.  But to output it yeah youd, pretty much need a hd set or projector.  The projectors are coming down in price a great deal and so are the sets.  I had a thread abt that before.  Brendan had a nice set....

But as Brendan said in the thread, the wars are about to begin, and maybe there is no real need to go into these waters until there is a clear winner.  Upscaling DVD players are pretty cheap, or HTPC it to bring the resolution to ~HD with DVD's
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 10:42:23 AM »

yeh,

I'll be sitting still for a while on digital entertainment purchases.  Have spent way too much on  toys lately.

Technology, bah humbug...

WKC.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »

Anyone still got their Phillips video recorders... ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 07:23:47 AM »

I've still got my VCR!

Anyone still got their Phillips video recorders... ;D

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »

Does this mean that in order to see Million Dollar Baby we need HD DVD and if we dont have that, we cant see Million Dollar Baby on DVD ever? Are they going to release a normal version, and would that normal version be released earlier than, or do we have to wait until fourth quarter 2005 for a DVD release?
cerebus

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:32:13 AM »

You know, I didn't 'get it' at first when i read the article, but now I do.

George Lucas was interviewed recently as to why he had finally allowed the original Star Wars trilogy to be released on DVD. He said that "'this' format wouldnt be around in ten more years".

He meant DVD's....

So, now what the heck does this mean...
To see Million Dollar Baby I am going to have to buy  either....

An HD attachment to my DVD player to see films that are going to be released in HD-DVD format?

Or, (and I wouldnt really mind this option so much) be forced to buy a whole new DVD player  (that ALSO plays HD-DVD's without buying a new television as well.

Or....be forced to buy not only a whole new HD-DVD player but a new HD television also. Now, I would imagine that with this last option I would have to go out and RE-buy ALL the Eastwood movies I have in my collection....as well as the Star Wars films, and several Disney films, Spider-man 1 & 2 etc.......

And how would you trade in the old DVD's????
I am sure that many of the DVD stores and maybe even Blockbuster itself will accept them after awhile but once this HD thing takes off theres NO incentive for ANY video store to accept 'old' DVD's.....(maybe I can donate them to the library....)

Maybe the one's who can afford them won't want to run out and get a whole new HD entertainment system...

Maybe they'll be happy with just a HD television and the rest of us who still like DVD can just get an upgraded player....

going to be both frustrating and interesting to watch this whole thing unfold.....It has been bad enough having to RE-buy fave films after the studio RE-releases
as directors cuts or special editions or anniversary editions....

But now THIS....

I feel bad but not as bad for all of those folks who have DVD collections that number into the hundreds..

I have only about 25 discs right now and will wait to see how this shakes out before i dump any more money into this massive consumer ripoff orchestrated by both the studios and other people in power feeding off of us film fans.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 11:43:05 AM »

Here's a fantastic article on HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Maybe it will answer some of your questions. 8)
cerebus

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 12:01:24 PM »

Brendan... THANKS!!

That sheds light on the whole issue very nicely not only for me but others who might visit this posting and be curious. (especially people who don't even know whats coming up)

Guess the studios STILL arent listening to Clint are they, after all...."A man's GOT to know his limitations."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 02:39:29 AM »

Hi Cerebus,

I wouldn't throw out my old media or my old media playing equipment!

You should consider that after nearly 10 years of the DVD format many great films are stillnot yet on DVD, and many fooloishly threw out there VHS collections too soon! If it takes as long for them to build their HD-DVD catalogues as it is taking to build their DVD catalogues, then it is definitely worth holding onto and in fact purchasing films currently on DVD (if they are favourites).

For example, it has taken nearly 10 years for 'The Reivers' to come out on DVD (we get it here in Australia in a few months), and I don't intend waiting till 2014 for it to come out in HD format ;-)

And I am still buying VHS tapes of some otherwise unavailable films!

Regards,

WKC.

Or....be forced to buy not only a whole new HD-DVD player but a new HD television also. Now, I would imagine that with this last option I would have to go out and RE-buy ALL the Eastwood movies I have in my collection....as well as the Star Wars films, and several Disney films, Spider-man 1 & 2 etc.......

And how would you trade in the old DVD's????
I am sure that many of the DVD stores and maybe even Blockbuster itself will accept them after awhile but once this HD thing takes off theres NO incentive for ANY video store to accept 'old' DVD's.....(maybe I can donate them to the library....)

little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 01:49:37 PM »

i read somewhere ( i think it was empire film magazine) that blu-ray would be the format of choice for the adult "entertainment" industry and therefore had  the better chance of succeeding, because they claim that thats the reason vhs won over beta, is that true, also one question,
does this mean that ultimately you'll have to buy a bluray or hddvd player because dvds will no longer be made.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T