News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: News about the Poncho  (Read 11055 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 07, 2003, 09:56:18 AM »

This is from an interview with Eastwood in something called Entertainment Today, last August 9:

ET: So Is it true you wore the same poncho is all three Sergio Leoni[sic] films and it was never washed?

CE: If you washed it, it would fall apart. [laughs] Yeah, I still have that poncho.

ET: Has it been laundered?

CE: No. It was folded up after The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and it hasn’t been unfolded yet.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 11:54:25 AM by KC » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »

Yeah, if he washed that thing it would fall apart, even if it was still new. Those things are quite fragile.

I wonder why he never unfolded it during the last (almost) 40 years? Guess he never had any real reason to. It would probably fall apart if he did! He would be the MWNP!   ;)

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 05:53:47 PM »

He would be the MWNP!   ;)

That was funny, Agent.
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 10:11:21 PM »

i believe he never wanted to unfold the poncho due to centimental values attached to it.something which is dear to an individual , he or she wants to keep that thing the way it has been. this is done to remember an incident.

rowdyyates
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 11:44:05 AM »

......I wonder whatever happened to that steel/cast iron plate he wore under the poncho....Blu :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2003, 11:45:09 AM by Blu » Logged

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 11:39:15 AM »

Maybe he has kept it there in hopes to one day unfold it and use it in another western.  I am waiting for him to direct another western thats my wish one that he stars in as like a chief george character from Outlaw Josey Wales and have another western hero who can wear it thats what I want to see. Maybe a remake of fistful.  I wish this would come out.
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 11:40:38 AM »

How much you think it could muster up on ebay?
ajay

man with no name

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 10:29:45 PM »

no offence, a western for clint would be a good idea,but wearing that same poncho would not be  a great one.in the triology he was both young and reckless,but with age and experience one becomes mellow, wearing poncho then really suited him.

rowdyyates
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:53:22 PM »

On the Poncho

-----------------------------

Playboy:  Was the character of the Man with No Name defined in the script, or was he somewhat of your devising?

Eastwood:  I kind of devised it.  I even picked out the costumes.  I went into Mattsons’, a sport shop up on Hollywood Boulevard here, and bought some black Levis and bleached them out, roughed them up,.  The boots, spurs and gun belts I had from Rawhide: the hat I got at a wardrobe place in Santa Monica.  The little black cigars I bought in Beverly Hills.

Playboy:  You don’t smoke do you?

Eastwood:  No, I don’t.  I smoked the cigars only for the films.  I didn’t really like them, but they kept me in the right kind of humor.  Kind of a fog.

Playboy:  Did they make you sick?

Eastwood:  No, they just put you in a sour frame of mind.  Those were pretty edgy cigars.

Playboy:  What about the poncho?

Eastwood:  The poncho I got in Spain.  Never had any doubles for that.  Most of the time, in films you have everything in duplicate or triplicate, just in case you lose things in stunts.  But I never had any doubles for the poncho.

Playboy:  Didn’t it get a little ripe?

Eastwood:  Well, if you must ask!  Yeah, the poncho got a little dirty.  I never washed it in three films, I’ll tell you that.

Playboy:  Do you still have it?

Eastwood:  It’s hanging on the wall of a Mexican restaurant that belongs to a friend of mine in Carmel.

Playboy:  With a plaque underneath it?

Eastwood:  Yeah, he’s got a plaque with it.  He wanted to put it on his wall, so I let him have it.

Playboy:  Would you take the poncho off the wall to make another Dollars film?

Playboy February 1974
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 10:02:45 PM »

It continues ...

EASTWOOD: You mean if the same director, Sergio Leone, came back and said, “We’ve got a new place to take you”? I’d make any kind of film if I liked the script. But I’d have to see the thing. I don’t know; I doubt it at the moment.

;)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 09:18:17 AM »

The poncho was unfolded at the Leone exhibit.

It still seemed in good shape and certainly had not fallen apart.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »

That's good to know, Philo.  I hope it's back with Clint now - it seems a little risky hanging it on a restaurant wall.  You never know if some wacko might steal it, and if they can nick The Scream, they could manage The Poncho! :(
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »

That's good to know, Philo.  I hope it's back with Clint now - it seems a little risky hanging it on a restaurant wall.  You never know if some wacko might steal it, and if they can nick The Scream, they could manage The Poncho! :(
You took the words out of my mouth, Lilly. I was thinking the exact same thing  :o

I mean, that's THE poncho. The one and only. It belongs in a museum  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:15:01 PM »

I don't think it's been on display in a restaurant for quite a while. As far as I know, it's been in Clint's possession most of the time since the movies were made.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:06:08 PM »

Not to sound morbid or anything, but do you think Clint has in mind to be buried with it  (not in it)? John wayne got buried with his spurs as far as i remember, and it does sound like it has some sentimental value.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T