News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ: Acting 1: Eastwood's Performance  (Read 2169 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 30, 2005, 11:51:03 PM »

He's not showy as an actor, but rather reserved, which is why he is so underrated. Alcatraz was his first real character study, and I don't think he quite believed me when I told him how good he was. He's modest and doesn't like to hear it. But I thought he was incredible. Even the critics said so. I think he's getting better, more assured. And he's more likely to gamble than he was a few years ago. Within limits, which he's aware of, he's as good as anybody.
(Don Siegel in Clint Eastwood, A Biography by Minty Clinch, p. 134-135)

When Don Siegel first read Richard Tuggle's script for Escape from Alcatraz in early 1978, it had been seven years since he had worked with Eastwood. Siegel told his agent, Lenny Hirshan, that the part of Frank Morris would be "perfect" for another Hirshan client, Clint Eastwood, and Hirshan saw to it that Eastwood received the script. Eastwood was enthusiastic in his first response to Siegel, but then Siegel didn't hear from him for several weeks, during which time Siegel bought the script, arranged for rewrites, and worked out a deal with Paramount to produce the film.

Richard Tuggle, Carol Rydall and I worked hard on the rewrite. I thought it was in good enough shape to show to Clint. I still hadn't heard from him, which was somewhat strange. I decided ... to send him the script and a note asking to sit down with him to discuss it and his playing Frank Morris, if he was still interested. If he wasn't, which frankly would surprise me as he was born for the part, I would go ahead without him, which would keenly disappoint me.
(Don Siegel in his autobiography A Siegel Film, p. 438)

Eastwood, along with co-stars Fred Ward and Jack Thibeau, gave Siegel some difficulty by insisting (against Siegel's better judgment) on doing their own stunt work, including climbing along the prison roof, sliding three stories down a bakery pipe and swimming in the San Francisco bay until the tide carried them away. However, Siegel knew from the beginning that Eastwood was "born for the part" of Frank Morris. Do you agree? Why does he fit the role so well? Discuss scenes in which you feel his performance is the most enjoyable, and describe what in particular you like about it. Is there anything you dislike?
Bronco_Billy

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 09:01:33 AM »

Clints performances are often insular because hes often found in situations where being that way is essentail to survival , that suits his role here brilliantly.

Hes also a guy you can count on to keep his word , so he can be trusted by his fellow inmates , and hes a man who rises to a challenge , so it all fits .

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 01:55:14 AM »

Eastwood's performance was good. Not one of his abolute best but still a good one. His character doesn't appear to go through a lot of emotions like Will Munny (Unforgiven) or even Frankie Dunn (Million Dollar Baby) but what Clint does perfectly is his facial expressions. See that's where Clint's perfect at. He uses his body language and facial expressions to give out feelings and speak words without actually saying anything.

That's why I think Clint is such an under-rated actor. I think it's becauce people don't see his expressions and movements. They're used to actors actually saying their lines and using their voice to express meaning and feelings. They just don't understand what it is that Clint does that makes his performances work. Sometimes less is more.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:21:25 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T