News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TIGHTROPE: The Story 3: Wes and Amanda  (Read 2595 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:30:43 PM »

Though they [Eastwood and Alison] were playing roles close to real life--a father and daughter negotiating the shoals of divorce--Clint thought that was to their advantage. That "little parallel," he says, "made it easier for a ten-year-old to understand." Besides, when she had visited his sets she had always loved "being in front of the camera and hamming it up," and I said, 'You know, I should just get her in the right part and it will be all right.'"

So it was. She is excellent in a scene in which she is supposed to gently comfort her father [in a scene in which he has passed out on the sofa after drinking too much tequila]. Clint had noticed Alison's fondness for the cat who lived in the house they had rented for use as the Block family home, quietly stroking and cuddling it between takes. When it came time to do this scene his instruction was simple: "Just think of your dad as this lost, stray cat. Just kind of relate to your dad like that."

What she did was [try to] remove his wedding picture from his hand ... then snuggle down on top of him, "warming with her tomgirl body the man her mother has rejected," as Kathleen Murphy nicely describes it. This proved to be a discomfiting moment to some viewers, but it is also, in its straightforward behavioral honesty, a breathtaking one, not unlike the opening kiss in The Beguiled, one of those rare moments that breaks through the movieness of movies, transcending the conventions by which reality is generally represented in them, referring us to something less mediated, less calculated.
(Clint Eastwood: a Biography by Richard Schickel, p. 391-392)

Discuss the relationship between Wes and his older daughter, Amanda. In what ways is their relationship different from his relationship with his younger daughter, Penny?

How do you think Wes's and Amanda's relationship has been altered by her mother leaving them? Do you think that Amanda has in many ways taken over the role of Penny's mother and Block's spouse?
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 11:28:04 PM »

Penny is probably too young to understand what happened between her parents and Amanda definitely has taken over the role of Penny's Parent as Wes is out of the house a lot.Amanda's reaction to seeing her father drunk in the living room looks as though it's not the first time this has happened,so she's resigned to looking after him as well like another child.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 11:07:17 PM »

I love Amanda and Wes' relationship.  It's so real to me.  I don't come from a broken home, luckily, but I understand where Amanda is all the time.  I have has just as bad situation in my life and I really understand her.  She's so smart and so adorable, she knows what Wes is doing, she might not come out with it but she totally knows.  Amanda understands and despite all that she loves him.

Amanda and Wes' relationship is infinitely stronger in Wes and Penny's relationship.  Part of that I think is that dad's love their first girl.  Not to say they don't love the others too, but it's different with the first.  Your their girl then.  I know I'm still a daddy's girl.  Amanda is sophisticated and Wes appreciates that and understand it.  I think he's raised very well all things considered.  He's managed to keep the family together really well.

I think Amanda took over the mom figure for Penny.  Which is good, at least Amanda stayed grounded and did that, didn't seep into a depression and not function.  I know people who had that happen to them.  Amanda was strong enough to deal with it. 

I don't think Amanda has taken over the spouse part of Wes' life.  I really don't.  She never can, she'd never be able to.  As much as girls want to fill that void they can't.  It's impossible.  Amanda to an extent I think understands that.  She just tries to be there, and keep her daddy safe, it's what we all want to do as kids. 

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »

Yoy nailed it Chessie  O0. I cant think of any way of saying it better  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »

Wes's spouse no, Penny's mother yes.  Amanda will protect her sister as a mother but  care for her father as an older daughter.    She tries to comfort him and when she sees the photograph of her parents wedding in his hand her expression is one of such compassion.  She then tries to hold her father to protect him as she would a sibling.  Their relationship is one of love and trust.  Amanda has grown beyond her years by taking care of Wes.  She has chosen to stay with him and is cool towards her mother.  Their relationship is how many girls would love it to be for them.  Many daughters, me included, feel a protectiveness to their fathers, Amanda shows this so well.  Wes treats her as if she is on the brink of adulthood and Penny as the little girl she is.  Amanda is more of a allies in the true sense of the word.  There is a closeness and a comfortable rapport between them.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:44:26 PM »

Thanks to everyone for participating in this discussion. This topic is now closed, please post any additional thoughts in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T