News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint's Guns  (Read 309559 times)
umrguy42

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2004, 10:46:33 PM »

Ah, much obliged for the link KC... even with pictures, which I was particularly looking for.   :D

"Just when I get around to likin' someone, they ain't around for very long."

"I noticed when you get to dislikin' someone, they ain't around for long neither."
 ;)

-There's someone in my head, but it's not me.-
Swamprat

Hammers cocked...

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2004, 04:23:30 PM »

I've fired repro Walkers...even with modern steel and modern workmanship, these beasts are spooky when squeezing one off. I have a good repro of the Remington '58. Excellent revolvers for thier day. Better accuracy than the Colts and much stronger frames.  Frank James was well known for Remington .44s, both during the war and afterwards when they were converted to cartridge models. The plain lead ball doesn't have much penatration power but like the 1911A1 .45 APC the military used to carry it packs a sledge hammer wallop. I've actually broken 2x4s with it using "soft" lead. I've also fired an original MP40 and the P38 Walther. In my opinion and many other  military collector's opinions the P38 was the finest military automatic ever adopted up to that point in time. Much cheaper and more reliable than the "Luger". My brother owned one for years, a German Army issue. The MP40's a different bird completely. In combat it was notorious for magazine jams. It was viturually impossible to keep it on target for more than one or two rounds. Later models of it had a small hook under the barrel just behind the muzzle to "hook" it onto things to hold the barrel down when firing. I managed to get four rounds through a 4x4 sheet of plywood before it went north and sent 4 more rounds up the side of the tree and then sent a couple into the air. No one else in our group did any better. My Uncle, whose farm we were on and who had owned the machine pistol for decades laughed and told us that the Thompson behaved in the same manner but was a little easier to control due to it's being heavier. He would know, he carried one through 1943 to the end of the war in Eroupe.

It's a bird! It's a plane!...No Stupid! That's a rock...stay down!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2004, 07:18:44 PM »

That's interesting, swamprat, though beyond the first few sentences, it doesn't seem to have much to do with the topic of this thread, "Clint's guns." We do have an "off topic" forum for posts that don't relate to Eastwood.
Greg

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2004, 08:26:21 AM »

What is happening with this thread?  Is that it?

It is very interesting to hear all your knowledge on this subject.

More would be appreciated.

Greg.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2004, 09:20:42 AM »

Our good friend, D'Amb is the person who has been giving us this great information and he has been away from the board for a while.  Hopefully, he will be back with us very soon and will be able to give us another segment or two.  :)
Sharkemperor

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2004, 08:57:27 PM »

I am new to Westerns, and frankly I am hooked.  This board is tremendous.  I collect all kinds of weapons and I am dying to get my hands on some replicas of the guns clint uses, especially in the GBU.  Can anyone tell me if and where I can buy some look alikes?

Thanks!!! 8)
Zaleon

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2004, 10:11:02 PM »

Hello, I'm curious as to what, in your opinions, is the best Clint handgun in all of his movies. It would be much appreciated if I could receive your input.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2004, 08:17:59 PM »

Sharkemperor, if you are serious about getting a replica of the gun Blondy uses in the GBD you might have to be willing to shell out some real change.  First off, the Navy Colt Blondy uses in the GBU is converted to fire metallic cartridges which is not so uncommon but in the time frame of the movie was quite impossible.  Blondys conversion model is quite unique because it still has the loading lever that is common to the cap and ball version but has a loading gate behind the the modified cylinder for cartridges. (No ejector rod which infact replaced the loading lever).  To get an exact replica would be very difficult but not impossible for I have seen the version of this early Richards Mason Conversion before (only once).  You can get straight up replicas of the 1851 Navy Colt for anywhere to $70 to $200.  You can buy a modern copy made by Cimarron or Uberti for anywhere from $500 to $1200.  Now if you really wanted the the LOOK of Blondys bad ass conversion you would have to purchase an original 1851 Colt with the loading lever and cap and ball cylinder and purchase a special made cylinder that is able to chamber metallic cartridges and swap out with the cap and ball cylinder with this modified one which I know of only one company that does this kind of thing, the R&D Gun company in Beloit Wisconsin.  I would be interested in you endevor...

And Zaleon, your question is a matter of opinion of course... ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 10:13:14 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
blondie_rjh

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2004, 10:50:42 AM »

hey bro , i tired to find that gn company that makes the conversion for the pistol that blondie has in the gbu , but to no success, are u sure r &d is the right company,   so long blondie
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2004, 11:22:49 AM »

Oh I'm sure...  I don't think they have a web site, If they do I can't find it. I remember reading about them in Shooting Magizine awhile back.  I'll try to dig up some more info and post later...  As I remember, It's a two piece cylinder, the back piece containing firing pins and the front a bore through cylinder which you place your cartridges. Pretty clever set up as where you can take your ball and cap percussion revolver and not have to convert it to catridges thus having the best of both worlds...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 12:36:54 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2004, 11:56:51 AM »

Here is the address:

Kenny Howell (Owner) R&D Gun Shop:
5728 E. County Rd. X
Beloit, WI 53511
608-676-5628
608-676-2269

Here's a good picture of the modified cylinder:

R&D 1851 Navy Conversion:
R&D Guns in the United States makes the best conversion repops on the market, essentially producing handmade guns that sell for about $1000. They also supply a conversion cylinder that swaps right into a percussion model for $240. What made the 1851 Navy popular on the frontier was the excellent balance with its 7-1/2-in. barrel and its deadly accuracy. Wild Bill Hickok carried two of them. The conversions use .38 Colt ammunition.

Reprinted from Popular Mechinics Website:
New Guns of the Old West

A write up I found about the Old Army conversion cylinder:
Old Army

Yet another one found about The New Army:
New Army

Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:32:25 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
petritheturtle

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2004, 08:26:45 AM »

What revolver does Clint use in Bloodwork? Its an 8 shot. I don't know which model though.
BGanzo

James Polk

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2004, 07:33:35 PM »

" I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it. '

-- (from Pink Cadillac, 1989 - John Eskow)

Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler.
English_Bob_270

"Well he can just go stuff himself as well !"

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »

I would really like to know what type of gun Clint uses in The Gauntlet.  I am sure you guys know.

"Well he can just go stuff himself as well can't he!"              
   - English Bob
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2005, 10:02:24 PM »

Here is a thread where we discussed the "Gauntlet" gun ....

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=1941
English_Bob_270

"Well he can just go stuff himself as well !"

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2005, 11:12:03 PM »

Thanks alot KC.

"Well he can just go stuff himself as well can't he!"              
   - English Bob
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2005, 01:32:15 AM »

Joe Kidd 

Hard to say what make the shotgun is.  There were several American companies of the day but like I always say a shotgun is a shotgun.  A shotgun shell, for those of you that don’t know, is usually comprised of shot, or little BB's or ball bearings, that when fired from the gun spread out in great diameter.  The further away from the barrel the “shot” fired the larger the pattern of shot spreads.  That’s why anyone with a shotgun can be an effective foe.  You don’t necessarily have to be a good shot to get results with a shotgun.

Here we see Joe with a 12 gauge Coach Gun...

The Coach gun was a double barrel shotgun that became popular with stagecoach drivers and guards, hence the name. Coach guns are scaled down in barrel length for easy handling and compactness usually around 20 inches, (36 overall).  More than likely always a 12 gauge, (sometimes 10) to get more bang for the buck.  Weighting around 9 pounds the gun was a crack open breechloader with side-by-side barrels.  The “Double Barrel” could never jam and it’s two external hammers, or rabbit ears, and double triggers made it relatively safe from accidental discharge thus requiring no safety.  Virtually indestructible and capable of firing under the most extreme conditions the gun could be reliable even if grossly soiled or battered around.  The most Important aspect was to keep your shells dry.  As long as you did that you were sitting in the drivers seat, no pun intended. 

Joe’s pistol here is a Colt 1873 SSA Cavalry model 7-½ inch barrel.

Now for the fun stuff.  Here we have the C-96 Mauser Broom handle, the first true automatic pistol.  Interestingly enough it was not designed by Paul Mauser but by three brothers by the last name of Feederle that worked for him in his experimental workshop.  The US army in WWII destroyed all records of all Mauser production and specs as they were ordered to burn the factory down by the brass.  Chambered for the 7.62 round, the precursor to the 9 mm, it had a very effective range and usually had a ten round “stripper” clip that you could just slide in the bottom, chamber a round and off you went.  They did have a 20 round clip but it was bulky and cumbersome hanging off the gun and not very efficient for travel. It’s holster, traveling case, was wooden and served as an attachable stock as seen with Joe Kidd above.  It was used to assassinate the last Czar Nicholas II   and Winston Churchill was known to carry one in the Boer Wars.  It’s funny to see this weapon in a Western but in doing some research I found that a few Spaghetti Westerns used them…Check it out...Fistful of Westerns

1896 Mauser "Broomhandle" 7.62mm

Han Solo's C-96 from Star Wars with a few special modifications.

Now comes the mystery rifle we see Joe Kidd with here picking off the henchman on the rocks.  I had an expert from a gun forum tell me that it is a Canadian Ross but by looking at the Ross myself it doesn’t really look like it to me.  I have compared it to literally hundreds of rifles but nothing of that time period seems to have that long exposed barrel.  One gun that it does look like is the Winchester model 70 but I believe that started production in the ’30’s, which is not to say it wasn’t used in the movie.     

The Winchester Model 70

Or the Canadian Ross????

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:07:20 AM by DAmbrosia » Logged
mattfighter

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2005, 07:56:51 PM »

i believe this is the gun blondie uses in GBU its a 1851 Navy Colt and the conversion

take a couple steps back
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2005, 11:52:11 PM »

High Plains Drifter

The Strangers gun is a Colt Single Action Army Calvary Model 7 1/2inch barrel either .45 or .44 caliber.

The Colt Single Action Army was introduced in 1873 and remains in production today. It remains the gun most associated with the American West, where it was no doubt the most popular full sized revolver of the late 1800's.

Not a gun but I’ll throw it in just for fun…
Whips have been around since the Egyptians and mainly used to drive animals but as they found out it worked well for punishment.

The sound of the whip “cracking” is actually the tip exceeding the speed of sound and creating a mini sonic boom.
The dinosaur Apatosaurus is said to be able to crack it's 41 foot long 3,200 pound tail at about 200 decibels, about 2,000 times the energy of a modern bullwhip.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 04:28:44 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »

Magnum Force:

As well as the .44 Magnum Harry also demonstrates his shooting skills with the timeless .357 Magnum.

The famous .357 Magnum, the original magnum pistol cartridge, was introduced in 1935 by Smith & Wesson as the world's most powerful handgun cartridge. For over 20 years it was simply known as "the Magnum," as there was no other. Newer magnum cartridges eventually surpassed it in power, but not in popularity or usefulness.

The 110 and 125 grain bullets are the top choices for personal defense (against "bad guys").

Harry uses a Colt Python Model in Magnum Force to foil the fascists cops by deliberately missing a target during the shooting contest and later retrieving the bullet to run his own personal ballistic test on it to match it up with the dirty cops pistol.

The Colt Python was officially introduced in 1955 as Colt's top-of the-line revolver.  Originally intended to be a large frame, double action (DA), .38 Special target revolver.  This fortuitous decision resulted in what is arguably the best all-around handgun in the world. Almost immediately the Python gained a reputation as the premium American revolver.

The Python has special features. Like all Colt revolvers the cylinder rotates into the frame for an extremely tight lock-up The Python barrel has a ventilated rib on top and a full length underlug.  Inside, Python barrels are bored with a very slight, full length, taper toward the muzzle for superior accuracy.

SPECIFICATIONS
Type:  Double Action
Caliber:  .357 Magnum
Barrel Length:  4; 6; 8 inches
Weight:  38 ounces (4 in. barrel, empty)
Sights:  Ramp (front); Fully Adjustable (rear)
Stocks:  Rubber Combat (4 in.); Rubber Target (6, 8 in.)
Cartridge Capacity:  6
Finish:  Blue; Stainless; Bright Stainless

Italic descriptions taken by permission from various Chuck Hawks articles.
-Thanks Chuck…
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T