News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint's Guns  (Read 269684 times)
gwb

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2003, 02:52:52 PM »

Was Harry's .44 a  6 1/2 inch barrel?  ???

Yes.
gwb

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2003, 03:00:45 PM »

Does this mean they had not yet gone into production, or that they had stopped making them?  ......  I don't buy that, based mainly on the recoil and sound his gun makes when firing it.  

Not DAmbrosia - but....

It was in production - they started production in the 50's.  I don't know why they said that about the gun not being in production.  They (Smith & Wesson) still produce the Model 29, a little different "stylistically" but nevertheless it is still out there.  They also recently made a limited run of new Model 29's, just like the one that Callahan used (with the original 61/2" barrel) for their 150th anniversary with engraving, and with a few (only 87) made without engraving sent to dealers -  I was lucky to pick up one of the 87.

On your second question, the recoil in the movie was fake.  He may have simulated based on going to the range, but you can see that the "recoil" is different in all the Harry movies, expecially the last one - perhaps Eastwood was getting a little tired of hoisting a heavy gun everytime he shot.  And the sound is not what the gun actually sounds like - that is a sound effect also.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2003, 03:08:50 PM »

I have a question.

At the time the movie (Dirty Harry) was made, was the .44 Magnum THE most powerful hand gun in the world?

Becuase supposedly the one hand gun in the Matrix (1999), the Desert Eagle I beleive it is, is now considered the most powerful hand gun in the world. So.... when was the Desert Eagle made? After or before Dirty Harry?
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2003, 09:40:28 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up gwb.  Any time you see a slip up please help me out...: ;)

As for the Light Special that Doug had asked about above, what I think Harry means relping to the question asked what kind of load he carrys in that .44...
In my view Harry’s “light special” is referring to light(as in the grain of the bullet, say around 180 grains.) and special(as in an excessive amount of powder charge)  This would give the gun great muzzle velocity but with less recoil as for the weight of the bullet. but traveling fast enough to penetrate car doors and the such….Now we know he has carried the .300 grain cartridge in his .44 before so that’s a huge difference in weight of the shell…At the time in Magnum Force his was using a lighter bullet that’s all.

Below are some of various “Loads” Harry could have chambered in his .44:

Left to right:-- 250 gr. SWC, 240 gr. HP, .44 with 225 gr. SWC-JHP, .44 with 250 gr. JHP
250 gr. SWC+GC, 265 gr. JFP, 240 gr. JSP
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2003, 09:46:56 PM »

The Dessert Eagle .50 cal surpassed the .44 Magnum in the early 80's... (Even the Eagle .44 were even more powerful pre se, around the same time.

Dessert Eagle kind of picked up when the  Auto Mag compant went under...

Don Johnson and Mickey Rorke use a couple of good one's in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 09:48:52 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2003, 10:26:59 PM »

Dirty Harry- 1971

Winchester Model 70 .458 Magnum

SPECIFICATIONS:
Type:  Bolt Action
Caliber:  .458 Magnum
Barrel Length:  22; 24 inches
Weight:  8.5- 9.5 lbs.
Sights:  open sights
Stocks:  walnut with two steel reinforcing crossbolts
Cartridge Capacity:  4 shot magazine
Finish:  Chrome Moly; Stainless
AMMUNITION
Except for use on a couple of the world's big game animals most American hunters will ever see except for on T.V. or in magazines, the .458 Magnum might be considered a useless cartridge.  But a lot of .458 rifles are sold in the U.S., mainly because Americans like powerful cars, powerful cartridges, and the .458 Magnum stands near the top of the heap in punch

The .458 Magnum “Safari” Elephant Gun was specifically designed  just for that purpose.  To hunt big game in Africa.  

Elephant Guns
Elephant rifles and cartridges are the stuff of large books and lush legend. In few endeavors have gunmakers labored more magnificently than in the building of huge-bore double rifles for the elephant trade. Heft one to your shoulder and your imagination takes the fast lane. You see yourself firing a right and then a left, levering open the barrels, hearing the pinging ejection of jigger-sized brass cases and inhaling the exotic incense of cordite corkscrewing up from the twin chambers.

The magical term "Nitro Express" applies to cartridges developed for smokeless or "nitro" powder. (Cordite is cotton treated with nitroglycerin.) Earlier cartridges made for the elephant trade were loaded with blackpowder; many of them are now known as BP Express calibers. Since blackpowder produced only moderate velocities (usually in the 1,500 to 1,800 fps range), energy was developed by using heavy, large-diameter bullets-a practice that continued after the advent of nitro powders that generated velocities over 2,000 fps and striking energies measured in the tons.
Before the invention of breech-loading rifles, the elephant gun was a massive muzzleloading affair, hurling hunks of lead nearly the size of golf balls. Back in the 1970s Samuel Baker, the famed Nile explorer, fancied guns of gigantic caliber and in one of his journals describes steadying the barrels of his rifle on the shoulder of a porter for a long shot. The muzzle jump was so severe it ripped off the porter's ear.

When Winchester announced its .458 Magnum in 1956, it effectively ended the reign of the great British Nitro calibers. Though the .375 H&H had done good service for generations, it had never gained real acceptance as a serious elephant round. The .458, however, loaded with a 500-grain, full-patch, .45-caliber bullet and having over 5,000 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, equaled or bettered the power and penetration of many of the traditional elephant cartridges. Better yet, it was inexpensive and easily available.

All of this is not meant to say that the .458 Magnum is not an excellent cartridge.   For hunting African Elephant or Cape Buffalo, few cartridges do a better job than Winchester's biggest cartridge.  Since its introduction in 1956, the .458 Magnum has become the most popular big bore cartridge among African professional hunters, not only for game population control work but for keeping clientele out of trouble when mixing it up with dangerous game.  A few Alaskan guides and outfitters who specialize in hunting Brown Bear and Scoprios are also quite fond of it...

-"My, that's a big one..."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 10:33:22 PM by DAmbrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2003, 10:46:38 PM »

CHIEF: Well ... .458 Magnum, huh? This thing will stop an elephant.

HARRY: Yeah.

CHIEF: Apparently you like a little edge.

HARRY: All I can get, sir.
maddog_frenzy

Carpe fidelis

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2003, 11:51:55 PM »

In partial answer to Brendan's question a few posts back, Magnum Research does manufacture some big guns, including the astonishing line of BFR revolvers (for monster loads such as .45/70 Gov't and even .410 shotgun shells). While the Desert Eagle .50 cal. is big in many ways, here's what Smith & Wesson has to say about their own new 500 Magnum revolver, recently released:

* Most Powerful Production Revolver in the World Today

*   Massive 500 S&W Magnum® Cartridge 2600 ft/lb. Muzzle Energy

[Only in America! Gotta love our propensity for wretched excess...]

If Eastwood does another Harry flick, it would be interesting to see which sidearm he adopts; Desert Eagle? BFR? S&W 500?

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2003, 06:28:48 PM »

As for Smith and Wesson the most powerful handgun besides the 500 is the .44 magnum. For Clint and another Harry movie, if he did make one I doubt he would use the S&W 500 because it weighs almost 5 pounds, only holds 5 shots, and the barrel is almost 9 inches long.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
maddog_frenzy

Carpe fidelis

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2003, 08:21:31 PM »

Here's a .44 Auto Mag custom-crafted for Clint's Dirty Harry character, credit to The Dirtiest site:

The S&W .50 Cal. revolver is about a pound (450g) heavier than the auto mag, and offers three times the muzzle energy as the auto mag. And I doubt that, besides the S&W 500, the .44 mag is the most powerful handgun in the world; Magnum Research's BFR revolvers shoot rifle loads! HOLY CATS. That's power. It's possible that the BFR .45/70 is more powerful than the S&W 500, which is more powerful than the .44 mag.

As for barrel length, the auto mag came with either a 6.5 or 8.5 barrel. No telling how long Harry's barrel was if it was a custom job, but it looks like Harry's auto mag had 6.5 inches.

Bottom line is the 5 shot revolver vs. the 7-shot auto mag; the latter simply holds more rounds.

Note how common the Desert Eagle is in Hollywood; it appears in nearly every action flick released these days!

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2003, 09:47:59 PM »

I never said the .44 mag was the most powerful in the world. I said in Smith & Wesson handguns it is the most powerful besides the S&W .50

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2003, 10:14:06 PM »

Joe Kidd on deck....    ;D
mattyd

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2003, 12:41:37 AM »

i would also like join in on this hunt for clints guns i admit it could be an interesting task.
 ::)
SergeantFIN

Next time I´ll knock your damn head off...

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2003, 05:34:17 AM »

Clint uses Gatling Gun in The Outlaw Josey Wales....
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

I dont think it's nice you're laughing...

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2003, 06:57:02 AM »

clint also used a standard german army luger with silencer in where eagles dare. (got no photo of it i´m afraid.)
But did the luger come with a silencer at that time???
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2003, 11:29:20 PM »

What kind of gun did Scorpio use to hijack the bus, the one he took from the store clerk?

-Danny

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2003, 10:12:05 PM »

What kind of gun did Scorpio use to hijack the bus, the one he took from the store clerk?

Luger 9mm Parabellum

The Luger was born during the German arms boom of the 1890s. It saw service in World War I, becoming a standard firearm for the German Army and Navy. A number of Lugers saw service in World War II, being manufactured by the Mauser factory, but production ceased in 1945. In 1970 Mauser again introduced a model and the Luger was saved from complete decline by the introduction of the American Eagle model by Mitchell Arms. John Walter's clear account of the development, use and importance of the Luger establishes the truth behind this famous weapon. The Luger Story is an authoritative reference for collectors and anyone with an interest in the history of firearms.

As I have stated before this handgun caliber is by far the most popular handgun cartridge in the world. It was first produced in 1902 for the Luger automatic pistol and by 1904 it had become the official caliber of German Navy and two years later by the German Army. The U.S. military forces changed to the 9mm Parabellum bullet from the .45 ACP (used in the Model 1911 Colt).
Although the FBI replaced this caliber with the more powerful 10mm (after an infamous Florida shootout in 1986) the 9mm remains popular. [Frank Horrigan's gun is the 10mm]  The small cartridge size of the 9mm  allows many bullets to be held in the firearm while modern bullet technology has ensured that this cartridge's terminal ballistics remain acceptable. The rounds are very fast (usually supersonic, although heavier and slower subsonic rounds are available for suppressed firearms) and the recoil is among the lightest of any popular cartridge and this makes the 9mm ideal for controllability.
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2003, 05:33:06 AM »

thanks for the picture and the arms data, DAmbrosia.
But regarding my question about the silencer clint uses in where eagles dare, what can you tell me.
i was under the impression that the technology regarding silencers didnt appear unto the late 50ies
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2003, 11:12:20 PM »

The first commercial use of a suppressor came into existence around 1910 when Hiram Maxim, the inventor of the first true machine gun, made it be known.  However it’s around the turn of the century (right around the time the 9mm was hitting the scene) by the Germans that truly crafted the silencer.  
dane with no name
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2003, 04:08:37 AM »

Thanks DAmbrosia.
I stand corrected  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T