News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do my posts say leet?  (Read 39654 times)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« on: May 19, 2005, 01:32:51 AM »

OK so I removed two old posts that I had in the Mystic River thread as I decided I didn't want them there.  Now my posts say leet insteaed of the number?  What have I done ????
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 01:34:56 AM »

Whoops,  they are back.   Please expalin leet.  Is it there until you post again?   Signed confused  ???
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:14:14 AM »

"leet"?

You mean instead of ...
Lin.
Member Extraordinaire

... you have ...
Lin.
Member Extraordinaire

???

No idea. Must be a re-indexing thing.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:30:58 AM »

That is right KC but as I said they have come back since I posted again.   Thanks.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »

Lin, I think I figured it out ... though I still don't know WHY it happened. You have 1348 posts now ... I'm betting you had 1337 when "leet" appeared. "1337" is how "leet" is spelled in "leetspeak," a once-popular kind of computer slang. I blush to admit I hadn't heard of it before I typed "leet" into Google ... though some of the terms are familiar to most Internet users. ("Leet" is short for "elite," or a re-spelling of it, depending on how you pronounce it ... and the four digits in "1337" are thought to resemble the four letters in "leet.")

Anyway, here's a link to the article in the Wikipedia ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

There's lots more out there, if you're interested. Google gave me 616,000 hits for "leet."  8)

I'm betting it's a little inside joke of the programmers who designed this web board software.  :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »

Interesting. I've never seen that on the board before. Lilly, looks like you'll be coming up on #1337 soon. Maybe you can remember to keep an eye out to see if your post count goes from 1336 to "leet" to 1338.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 07:26:38 PM »

"1337" is how "leet" is spelled in "leetspeak," a once-popular kind of computer slang.

Sadly, its still popular.  Whenever I peruse a webboard that has anything to do with PCs, gaming especially, the posts are littered with that crap.  Back when I had the time to play an online game or two, about half of the people chatting would use kewldood or l33t slang - most are probably in middle or high school.  I'm pretty sure these are the guys that get their ass kicked in gym class.

The programmers probably did that for $#!ts and giggles in a more "tongue-in-cheek" kind of way...Rather than a "nerd mauling grammer to look cool" kind of way.

GuardianAngel

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 08:34:22 PM »

Yeap, I first heard of the term "1337" for "Elite" from playing the Matrix Online game. Lots of people use those computer terms there. I'm catchin on....
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:57:03 AM »

Anyway, here's a link to the article in the Wikipedia ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

There's lots more out there, if you're interested. Google gave me 616,000 hits for "leet." 8)

I really opened a can of worms didn't I KC?.   I had a look at the site you put up.  I never realised how much was  out there.  I read it with interest, however I don't think I will study the 616,000 other hits, a bit much for the old brain.  ;D   I will be interested to see if Lilly gets leet when she reaches 1337 posts.     Thank you for looking into this it is amazing what you can learn being a member of this board. :)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 04:20:29 PM »

Lilly, looks like you'll be coming up on #1337 soon. Maybe you can remember to keep an eye out to see if your post count goes from 1336 to "leet" to 1338.

:) Sure thang; I'll try to remember to keep an eye out, but no doubt it'll be a wee while yet.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 08:25:34 PM »

Lilly, you just have to start posting more often!  8)
GuardianAngel

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 07:50:15 AM »

I'll be hittin 1337 by tomorrow...

Just kiddin.  ;D ;D ;D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 12:20:47 PM »

Lin, looks like you'll be getting another chance to see if "leet" comes up. It was time for an Off Topic purging, and post counts dropped a bit. It had been a while since the last purge, so some of our newer members may not be familiar that it's done. See THIS thread for more information.
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 12:32:32 PM »

Dude no kidding!!  I lost like 50 posts!!!  Oh well.   ;)

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »

Lilly, you just have to start posting more often!  8)

;D Yeah, I guess so.  Actually my rate is a lot higher than in my earlier days, but the quality probably less.  I'm happier when I'm spending longer on fewer posts, and will try to do more of that. 

I'm glad we purged the OT forum because I only want my post count to show Eastwood posts.  I suppose there's no way of arranging that?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 09:39:47 PM »

Actually my rate is a lot higher than in my earlier days, but the quality probably less.  I'm happier when I'm spending longer on fewer posts, and will try to do more of that. 

Whatever your post count is on any given day, Lilly, that's how many of your posts were worth reading.  O0

I'm glad we purged the OT forum because I only want my post count to show Eastwood posts.  I suppose there's no way of arranging that?

We did check with Cal a while ago to ask if only the posts from the Eastwood sections of the board could count toward post count totals, but he said that wasn't a possibility with the board software.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 12:27:02 AM »

I don't mind my post count going down a bit.  I am more interested in what is posted than the number and I will look to see what happens when I reach 1337 again. O0
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »

Whatever your post count is on any given day, Lilly, that's how many of your posts were worth reading.  O0
  Cheers Matt.

We did check with Cal a while ago to ask if only the posts from the Eastwood sections of the board could count toward post count totals, but he said that wasn't a possibility with the board software.

Thanks for the info.  Oh well, I guess the current arrangement is the best compromise. 8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 02:02:44 PM »

I don't mind my post count going down a bit.  I am more interested in what is posted than the number and I will look to see what happens when I reach 1337 again. O0
Did you remember, Lin?  ???
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 02:15:31 AM »

Did you remember, Lin?  ???

Yes and it didn't the post came up as 1337.  I was so disappointed. ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T