News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood and Dogs  (Read 3743 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 03, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »

Didn't someone once post a picture here of Eastwood and a pet dog? Does anyone remember a discussion we had about dogs he owns or has owned?

I'm not having much luck finding this via the site's search function.

Thanks!  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 08:06:20 AM »

Somewhere in a discussion we had about Tightrope I think, we mentioned an allergy that Clint had to dogs.
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 08:33:57 AM »

There was a specific thread started by a new member which asked about what happened to the other dogs because we only see two that had been killed by Rolfe.  And, I thought it was in this Q&A section  I answered the question and posted a picture from the movie.

I have no idea what happened to the thread unless the originator of the thread decided to delete it.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 09:01:45 AM »

Do you mean this thread mgk?

Dogs in Tightrope?

Didn't someone once post a picture here of Eastwood and a pet dog? Does anyone remember a discussion we had about dogs he owns or has owned?

I seem to have a vague memory of that.  I also remember a post about him owning a pot-bellied pig. :D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 09:03:19 AM »

mgk, that thread is still here ...
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=4339.0

I was wondering about dogs in his private life, though. And yes, I know that talk of his allergy to small, furry animals has come up from time to time. His mother was quoted as saying he was allergic to dogs as a kid in a New Yorker article (March 24, 2003) ... I quoted that passage when the magazine came out.

[Ruth Eastwood Wood reminisces:] One time, he had thirteen snakes. When he was four, we discovered he was allergic to dogs and cats, so he collected snakes. I guess he's kind of a supernatural person.

There's also the time he suffered an allergic attack while working on Joe Kidd. It turned out to be due to the presence of cats in his living quarters, but it was the source of the rumor that he was allergic to horses. That's been discussed here recently too. But I know he has owned dogs, and it seemed to me we had discussed this somewhere, sometime. Maybe it was on the old Board.

I'm asking on behalf of a journalist who contacted me. She's doing a book on mixed-breed dogs and the great folks who choose to own them. I can't remember Clint's ever owning a mutt, but I told her I'd look into it.

The dog that sprang to my mind when I was talking to her was of course the one who's adopted off the street in Tightrope, and who ends up saving his master's life while his (apparently purebred) housemates fall victim to the killer. But that, of course, was only in the movies.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 09:06:26 AM »

HERE is D'Amb's post quoting a People magazine interview with Clint.

I don't have a dog.  But I could bring my pot-bellied pig down here...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 09:09:10 AM »

Thanks for the "pot-bellied pig" clue, Lilly ... I found this:

This might be a nice place to take your dog for a walk.

I don't have a dog.  But I could bring my pot-bellied pig down here...
That was from an interview in People, 12/23/02 ... D'Amb postied it, back in the day.

He doesn't have a dog now, he has (or had in '02 at least) a pot-bellied pig, and I recall from the New Yorker article that he also has pet rats, or rather, I guess the kids do. But as I recall, when he went to Cannes as jury president in '94, he brought a little dog along and the French made fun of it: Tough guy, toy dog. Maybe it was Frances Fisher's, though.

EDIT: Lilly, you're faster than I'll ever live to be.
The Highlander

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »

I'm not having much luck finding this via the site's search function.

Thanks!  :)

Regarding dogs that Clint has owned, I recall either seeing him interviewed on video -- or in an article -- in which he discussed how he got himself to cry on film in The Outlaw Josey Wales.

After his family is murdered early in the film, his character violently grips the makeshift cross over their grave as Josey begins sobbing and lowering himself over the grave in his grief.

To make himself sad enough to play this scene, Clint said he looked into his past and remembered the grief he felt when his boyhood dog, Blackie, died.

I've always remembered this because my boyhood dog was also named Blackie, so I thought this was kind of neat.
paulk

Oh well, $#!t happens

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »

I remember watching an award show for Clint where on e of the fellow actors were saying how Clint liked to sit in the back of his pick up with his dog and fish all day.  Sorry can't reember the show but still checking on it.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 10:21:36 AM »

I remember watching an award show for Clint where on e of the fellow actors were saying how Clint liked to sit in the back of his pick up with his dog and fish all day. Sorry can't reember the show but still checking on it.

Wasn't it during the AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards show, back in 1996 ?!  :-\

I think Don Rickles said something like "Clint likes to sit in the back of his truck and watch his dog bark!"  ;D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 10:31:41 AM »

Alright, I got the exact line:

"Clint's idea of a good time is sitting on a pick-up truck watching his dog bark!" - Don Rickles

;D ;D ;D ;D :o

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T