News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board Updated again  (Read 6090 times)
Cal
Administrator

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2003, 07:45:09 PM »

Quick update that hopefully corrects the database errors a few of you were getting. Again, please report any weirdness while using the board.

Thanks.  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 11:28:44 PM »

Hey Cal,  this latest update changed the way the titles are displayed in the "Last Post" column.  Before the update, the thread titles would drop to more than one line if needed so that you could read the entire thread title... now it won't drop to the next line, and that column is so narrow you can't read most of the thread titles.  Can you change that back?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 11:36:38 PM »

Cal, I'm using a dial-up connection because my cable modem is down. After I clicked on the link in the "Last Post" column, it took ONE FULL MINUTE for this page to load. And then, the darned thing had the nerve to tell me at the bottom of the page ...
Page created in 0.164 seconds.
 ::)

When I'm using the cable modem, it's still very slow, though not as slow as this. I recall that back when you first started the new board, I asked about this and you said you didn't understand why I was having problems. Do you have any insight into this now?

I'm thinking of posting a poll to find out how many others are having similar problems.
Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 03:47:30 AM »

Hmmm. The speed the page resolves from the server is probably correct but the reason it is taking long for the page to show up is because these forum boards use nested tables in the design.  Plus, there are alot of include files as well. When you have a lot of HTML tables within tables, the final output doesn't show until all the code is parsed by the browser, rather than displaying output from the top down. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am afraid there really is no fix to this unless everything were to be redesigned without tables, which is beyond the tweaks I can make to the board software. Granted I have DSL so the page is pretty snappy for me.  A minutes is a bit extreme though so I wonder what you are actually connecting at?

Try running some of these speed tests to see what you are connecting at.
http://www.toast.net/performance/
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 04:03:27 AM by Cal » Logged
Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 03:58:57 AM »

Hey Cal,  this latest update changed the way the titles are displayed in the "Last Post" column.  Before the update, the thread titles would drop to more than one line if needed so that you could read the entire thread title... now it won't drop to the next line, and that column is so narrow you can't read most of the thread titles.  Can you change that back?

Not sure if I follow. I resized my browser window and when it gets small enough, the titles do auto-wrap onto the next line for me.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 05:44:18 AM »

:(  I don't know why it's wrapping for you, it's not for me.  I thought it might be a Netscape problem, so I opened the board in IE and same thing... the "Last Post" column on the main web page only allows 20 characters.  I took a screen capture, this is what I'm seeing... grabbed it from IE, but it's the same in Netscape:

Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 06:45:52 AM »

Oh ok yes that is supposed to look that way be default, in case of really long titles. These do wrap though, if the browser window is really small.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 01:05:17 PM »

Oh ok yes that is supposed to look that way be default, in case of really long titles. These do wrap though, if the browser window is really small.
Cal, I have my browser window maximized and my screen resolution set to 1152 x 864 pixels. And there is STILL not room enough for THIS topic title—this is what I get:
Re:Board Updated aga...
Which is a bit silly, since the full title would have taken up less room than the "abbreviated" title plus the three dots.  

When I resize the browser, the title wraps all right, but it's still abbreviated:
Re:Board
Updated aga...

Can't this be expanded a bit? Very few titles are much shorter than "Board updated again."
Cal
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 01:40:16 PM »

Ummm ok. I altered the truncation from 20 characters to 40.  To quote a famous line..."Pray I don't alter it any further!"  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 02:26:32 PM »

Thanks, Cal! Much better!  8)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T