News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For a few dollars more commentary  (Read 12884 times)
Dave on a bike

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:46:02 PM »

I bought the film recently after having watched it numerous times on TV. I have to say that the restored DVD is fantastic. The sound level seems to vary a bit during speech but it doesn't detract from the film. Morricone's musical score is fantastic.  8)

Sir Christopher Frayling does the commentary, which I haven't listened to through the whole film but I've listened to part and picked up some great snippets of info. However, there's one comment Sir Christopher that I don't totally agree with. When indio is smoking the marijuana, Sir Chris said that the flash backs to the bedroom scene are brought on by the marijuana and that it was probably due to people not having an understanding of drugs in the early 60's.

I always thought that Indio smoked marijuana as a way of numbing out the pain of the evil things that he did. He was evil but sometimes his past came back to haunt him, if you know what I mean.

What do you think?
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:33:57 AM »

When indio is smoking the marijuana, Sir Chris said that the flash backs to the bedroom scene are brought on by the marijuana and that it was probably due to people not having an understanding of drugs in the early 60's.

I always thought that Indio smoked marijuana as a way of numbing out the pain of the evil things that he did. He was evil but sometimes his past came back to haunt him, if you know what I mean.

What do you think?

I think I interpreted it as you yourself have, although the M would have had it's own effects as well, perhaps shaping the memories in the dreamlike state that we see.

It seems that Frayling is merely giving his interpretation of the scene.  That is unless he read something in the script that we are not privy too.  but if that is tha case, surely he would/should have stated as much.

WKC.

Dave on a bike

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:20:58 PM »

It seems that Frayling is merely giving his interpretation of the scene.  That is unless he read something in the script that we are not privy too.  but if that is tha case, surely he would/should have stated as much.

WKC.

Yep, I'd agree with that. His commentary is good and his anecdotes about the casting and stuff are well worth hearing. I suppose he would forgive me, if I just disagreed on this one thing.  :o  O0
Miwako

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:16:22 PM »

I was always under the impression that he was smoking opium -- but I could be wrong.  And I agree that I thought he did it to bury the pain and also that he was addicted to it. 
paulk

Oh well, $#!t happens

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »

I was always under the impression that he was smoking opium -- but I could be wrong.  And I agree that I thought he did it to bury the pain and also that he was addicted to it. 
I have to agree that it was most likely opium...that was the drug choice in those years and the most common.  I think he smoked to remember a certain event all the time.  The drug brought his thought of the event back which he wanted....in my opinion.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 07:50:13 PM »

Isn't opium always smoked in a pipe?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 04:24:54 AM »

Isn't opium always smoked in a pipe?

No, it can be smoked as a cigarette.  I believe it's usually mixed with tobacco.  Of course, I'm not fluent on all the finer points of opium smoking.  I know Oscar Wilde was known to smoke opium laced cigarettes. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 05:46:44 AM »

Thanks! I work for the Arents Tobacco Collection of the New York Public Library, so I should know these things.
paulk

Oh well, $#!t happens

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 09:38:20 PM »

No, it can be smoked as a cigarette.  I believe it's usually mixed with tobacco.  Of course, I'm not fluent on all the finer points of opium smoking.  I know Oscar Wilde was known to smoke opium laced cigarettes. 

Yeah it can be smoked as a cigarette or through a pipe.  The tobacco or any other smoking matter is laced with opium for a better effect.  I knew a guy that did that back in high school.  I also see it on the job once in awhile.
labionda

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 10:20:38 AM »

I bought the film recently after having watched it numerous times on TV. I have to say that the restored DVD is fantastic. The sound level seems to vary a bit during speech but it doesn't detract from the film. Morricone's musical score is fantastic.  8)

Sir Christopher Frayling does the commentary, which I haven't listened to through the whole film but I've listened to part and picked up some great snippets of info. However, there's one comment Sir Christopher that I don't totally agree with. When indio is smoking the marijuana, Sir Chris said that the flash backs to the bedroom scene are brought on by the marijuana and that it was probably due to people not having an understanding of drugs in the early 60's.

What do you think?
Concorde

"I made you ready...for spaghetti!"

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »

Gosh, since people had been smoking M for over a hundred years before the movie was made, it's sorta odd for Sir Frayling to claim that "in the '60s" nobody understood its effects....unless he means the 1860s, LOL!

I'd have to go with the contention that it's actually opium, which ties in nicely with the depiction of drug usage as Robert DeNiro's flashback-trigger in a later Leone film, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA...
Jessy

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 03:59:27 AM »

Something I couldn't figure out is the watches.... where did the second watch come from?    Or did the Colonel have a second one made after Indio took the first one?  ???

Loved the hat shooting scene!  O0

Jess Wade: "He'll be a lot quieter when that swelling goes down."
Billy Roy: "Swelling from WHAT?"
Jess Wade: "That bump on your head."
Billy Roy: [feeling his head] "I ain't got no bump on my head."
Jess Wade: [smacking Billy Roy's head into one of the bars] "You have now!"
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 05:46:19 AM »

According to the novelization (by Joe Millard) of the screenplay of For a Few Dollars More (p. 154) ...

"They're duplicates, both from the same firm of watchmakers in Switzerland. I bought mine first. She was so utterly enchanted with it that I sent off for another and gave it to her as a wedding present."
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 10:24:39 PM »

Something I couldn't figure out is the watches.... where did the second watch come from?    Or did the Colonel have a second one made after Indio took the first one?  ???

Loved the hat shooting scene!  O0

I always assumed that they each had one originally.  Her's was stolen.  He reunites them at the end.

WKC.

Concorde

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 05:15:50 AM »

Yeah, my assumption was always that the watches had been produced as a matched set, a "his and hers" pair.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 06:32:56 AM »

Yeah, my assumption was always that the watches had been produced as a matched set, a "his and hers" pair.

Well, according to the novelization, they were ordered on two different occasions. If "hers" was her wedding present from her brother, though, why did it have her own picture in it?  ???
Concorde

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 04:24:21 AM »

Yeah, that is mighty odd...although the picture might have been swapped out after she was killed....
labionda

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 04:42:00 AM »

Hi -Dave on the bike- and to all the other guys on this list,  :)

first I like to say many greetings from -good old germany- to everybody...Greetings from Berlin.  ;)
Sorry for being confused for commentary without a real commentary...
Unfortunately in the last time i had to go in a internet-cafe, because my home computer did not work, so lots of people in this Cafe...too many people, to many problems...finally was so confused, that I did not left a message...seems I'm not so cool like Clint.  ;)

Actually i don't have a commentary about this DVD, but i wanna to know if somebody knows something about this "making of this movie" and how Clint was working together with the german actor -Klaus Kinski- the guy who was used as a kind of "flint-stone"... :) and this kinski was very very famous for going crazy or mad during making movies.

Some informations about this?

OK thanx for paying attention.

Greetings
ciao-La Bionda-  ;D
Concorde

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 05:25:09 AM »

I don't know how Klaus got along with Clint, but apparently he paired off well with his fellow lunatic Gian Maria Volante.

Take a look...   ;)

vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 05:54:09 AM »

did woman have those sort of watches - its not even popular now?

england -  its flag the St George flag
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T