News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HANG 'EM HIGH: Business and Box Office: The Trailer and Other Publicity  (Read 4487 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 16, 2003, 09:39:36 PM »

If you own the DVD, what did you think of the trailer?  Do you think it was interesting enough to make people want to see this movie?

This is the best known poster for the film:

Do you think it's effective? If you have seen other posters, etc., for the film, how effective do you think they were?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 05:13:26 PM »

I absolutely LOVE this trailer.  I think if I saw it back in the day when it was a new release, I'd race to the theater to see it.  

Those of you who have the DVD, watch the trailer and post about it here... I'd like to hear some other opinions on it.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 01:05:44 AM »

Yes I liked the trailer too.  I watched it after seeing the film, mainly because I find that trailers sometimes give too much away.  

I found this trailer very dramatic, and also think that if I'd seen it in 1968 I would have been keen to see the movie.  I like the opening sequence with the white noose on black background, that becomes six nooses, and I love the way the six drawn figures suddenly shoot up to the top of the screen as they are "hung"; it really grabs one's attention.  I liked the style of using a mixture of drawn figures and real film footage.  It reminded me of the similar style employed in the opening sequences of the Leone westerns.  Although this film was different in style to the Leone films, I think the trailer gave a good taste of how the film would be, so the audience wouldn't have felt misled by the trailer, as sometimes happens.  

I was intrigued by the fact that throughout the trailer, only six figures are hung, while the film footage refers to the "nine men" who must be captured.  Of course in the end only six were caught; one having been pardoned and two being still at large.  So maybe that was a hint on the part of the trailer makers.  

All in all, a great suspenseful trailer which caught the attention, and made good use of the main score.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 01:09:11 AM by Lilly » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 09:53:03 PM »

The poster's art work is pretty good too.
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 07:59:29 PM »

I like the poster but I think first line "the hanging was the best show in town" is a little bit deceiving... the 2 other lines are about the actions of the men that hung Jed Cooper.
When these 3 lines are placed together (and in that order) it sounds as if Jed Cooper was taken into town and hung there by the town folks.

I also saw the trailer after I watched the movie. It was well done and caught my attention. The trailer is intriguing and it makes you want to see the movie.

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 02:07:46 PM »

:) This is one of the best Eastwood trailers ever...maybe the best.  I doubt anyone could have watched it and not wanted to race to the movies to see this film.

And, the poster is excellent, too.  I had never thought about what Xichado said about the sequence of the text on the poster but, now that he mentions it, it does seem a little misleading.  If I had only seen the poster before seeing the movie, I would have probably expected Eastwood's character to be part of the town hanging.  But, of course, I would have been intrigued to find out how he escaped with his life.

mgk
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2003, 08:06:56 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the Westerns forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T