News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 206 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 411686 times)
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 05:11:29 AM »

Every time i watch "Clockers" it takes my breath away, surely one of "Spike Lee's" best movies.

The plot just comes together so well, like Mystic River this is another everyday slice of gritty urban life, not a happy tale but one that never the less needs to be told.

An excellent screen play written by Richard Price (Sea of Love, The Wanderers)

An excellent cast (Delroy Lindo is so evil controlling the local kids with promises)

Well directed.

I recommend this film to anyone it gave me one of those rare tingles you get from watching a class film.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »

This Is Spinal Tap. The funniest film I've ever ever seen. A recommend to anyone who can undrstand British humour. I'd give it 93%.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 12:31:26 AM by masterchief » Logged
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2004, 08:34:45 PM »

Just saw "Shawn of the Dead" and "Napolean Dynamite".  The former is a fun comedy/horror spoof of zombie flicks, and the latter is a comedy that takes place in the late 80s thats about nerds trying to fit in at school - and it rocks!  Both worth a look if you get some time, especially "Napolean Dynamite".
  That ends my "week".

Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2004, 11:42:21 PM »

I havent seen aything new this week but I have watched Harold and Maude, Donnie Darko, The Bridges of Madison County, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Crucible, Unforgiven, a Fistful of Dollars, Outlaw Josey Wales, and this odd B film...  Revenge of the Puppet People.  

The reason I've watched so many is because I'm making a western video for history, tons of fun.  Woo.  

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2004, 02:30:25 AM »

This week I have watched City Heat, Honkytonk Man, Paint Your Wagon and Pink Cadillac.    I found them in various places and as they are fairly 'old' movies I decided to wait and have a session of video viewing.  The best of the four HAS to be Honkytonk Man.  City Heat- different.  Paint Your Wagon -  Well I like to hear Clint sing! and Pink Cadillac - also 'different.    Tonight I paln to watch Unforgiven and I really look forward to that.  (Recorded from TV on Monday inthe UK.   Lin ::)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2004, 02:42:12 AM »

Just saw "Shawn of the Dead" and "Napolean Dynamite".  The former is a fun comedy/horror spoof of zombie flicks, and the latter is a comedy that takes place in the late 80s thats about nerds trying to fit in at school - and it rocks!  Both worth a look if you get some time, especially "Napolean Dynamite".
  That ends my "week".

I don't think Napoleon Dynamite took place in the 80's, I could be wrong but I never got that from the film.

Anyways, Napoleon Dynamite is a terrific little flick and could easily make my top ten at the end of the year. I loved the fact there was hardly any camera movement whatsever. All it was was just a camera on a tripod for the whole film. Occasionally they had a zoom but I can only remember that happening two or three times. I felt it helped add to the film since it's about a "boring" guy the shots eing obring just help add to the feel and tone of the film. 8)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 02:44:32 AM by Brendan » Logged
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 04:13:27 AM »

Last night I watched AKA Cassius Clay.

Nice little doco made at the time that Ali was suspended from fighting due to refusing the draft.

Good footage from his earlier fights.

WKC.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 10:46:53 AM »

This Is Spinal Tap. The funniest film I've ever ever seen. A recommend to anyone who can undrstand British humour.

But they're all Americans, save for Tony Hendra and Patrick Macnee's cameo.

"Fu*k the napkin!"

« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:47:56 AM by Holden Pike » Logged

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 11:59:47 AM »

At least it's in Dubly !

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2004, 02:37:51 PM »

I don't think Napoleon Dynamite took place in the 80's, I could be wrong but I never got that from the film.

Its either late 80s or early 90s.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 04:05:27 PM »

Napoleon Dynamite takes place is the present-day. They're all just hopelessly backward and have awful taste. But the internet is available in that community (that wouldn't have happened until fairly recently), and the older uncle hopes for his glory days - which were not just a few years ago.

Their fashion is late '70s/early '80s, but that's true of the folks who work at the DMV too. Doesn't mean they have a functional time machine.

I saw Napoleon Dynamite over the summer, and was unimpressed. It's one of those movies that tries waaaaaaay too hard. It wants to be Rushmore but has not the wit or heart. It wants to be Welcome to the Dollhouse, but it doesn't have the courage to be that dark. It it wants to be Gummo, but isn't even on the same plane of weirdness. The end result is it's a little like those movies but not enough of its own thing.

The acting is fine, especially the kid in the title role. But they have precious little to do. It has its moments, and the Pedro for President dance number is spectacular. But overall, a disappointment. It's not a bad movie, it's just not a good one.

GRADE: B-

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 05:11:59 PM »

This week I've watched two films noirs, The Set Up (recommended by Holden in the Best Boxing Movie thread) and The Wrong Man with Henry Fonda (Hitchcock). I enjoyed them both, though I'd still consider Rocky the best boxing movie. ;)  The Set Up does focus a lot more on boxing though, and since it's set in "real time" the fight scenes are exciting and completely believable. Rocky isn't a boxing movie in the same way... concentrating much more on the characters than the fight.

I also saw two Denzel Washington movies, The Hurricane and Remember the Titans. I enjoyed them both, though I did enjoy Titans more. I love a good sports flick, and this one was especially good because it was a true and very uplifting story of how a football team in a just racially integrated high school managed to overcome their prejudices and function as a team. I'd put it up there with the best sports films, along with 61, Hoosiers and..... Rocky.  :P  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 05:23:06 PM by Matt » Logged
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 05:33:16 PM »

Glad you're still watching Hitchcock, Matt :)

I don't actually own The Wrong Man and there's other Hitchcock films I'd like to own, too - mainly his early British ones, but at the moment, Marnie is next on my list.

Anyway, this past week, I watched The Shawshank Redemption again (my boyfriend hadn't seen it so we watched it on DVD on Friday). The soundtrack is so moving and the story so inspirational, it has me in tears every time. Also, The Incredibles. I just got back from seeing it 1 1/2 hrs ago - and it's incredible! The animation looks amazing and it has so many twists and turns, you never get bored. Also the soundtrack really blew me away. Sort of 60s jazzy with hints of the original Batman series. A great way to improve what otherwise would have been a fairly average night in.

I watched a lot of films when I was in Paris, including revisiting GBU and Unforgiven, and I also saw Doctor Zhivago for the first time. The first David Lean film I've seen, and a great one to start with. I'd really like to watch his Great Expectations next. I know Clint thinks a lot of his directing - I'm sure he mentioned him on Unforgiven and possibly GBU documentaries I saw recently.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 05:36:39 PM by allycat » Logged

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 05:35:46 PM »

Marnie is next on my list.

Marnie is one of my very favorite Hitchcock films. Let me know what you think after you've seen it.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 05:37:53 PM »

That I will! I'm still waiting for you to see The Shawshank Redemption, as it's a film I think a lot of...or did you see it yet?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 05:39:56 PM »

I did see it, Ally. I guess I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed with it, which I know goes against popular opinion. It was good, but I just wasn't really moved by it.

Your turn... I've been trying to get you to watch Rocky for months. I also watched Amelie which you recommended (and bought it after enjoying it so much). So, I'd say that you're due to watch the one I recommend now.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »

Aw...I'm just glad you saw The Shawshank Redemption! Gotta admit Tim Robbins, and Morgan Freeman too, give sterling performances. For our next connection to Clint's films, well, I plan to get Dead Man Walking (Sean Penn stars) because it has good word of mouth (I haven't seen it before).

And I'm extremely chuffed  ;) about you liking Amelie. There's hope for you yet, boy! Jeunet has also done other good films like Delicatessen, which I own. I recommend that you watch that one next!

Rocky...hmmm...well I'm not buying it! I'll spend £3 and rent it, just for you. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the main reasons I'll like it is for 'Eye Of The Tiger' and the general feeling of nostalgia I get whenever I see 80s films. What can I say, I'm a sucker for them! Anyway, I'll get back to you  :)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 06:00:22 PM »

Ally, if you see a Rocky movie from the 80's with "Eye of the Tiger" in it, you aren't seeing the movie I'm recommending, but one of the sequels (I think Rocky III)

Rocky is from 1976. The theme song is "Gonna Fly Now", and it's one of the best movie themes ever. If you can put away all your prejudices (not just you, but everyone who hasn't seen it yet because they don't like Stallone) about Sly, and watch it the way all of us did back when it released and we had never seen him before, I think you'll be truly knocked out by it.  :D

And, it wouldn't surprise me if you decided to buy it too. It's a character drama and love story, and one of the most inspirational movies ever made. You'll like it.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004, 06:09:44 PM »

Yup, I had a feeling once I'd posted about the 80s, you'd tell me that Rocky was from the 70s! Yes I probably did see one of the sequels. The one with Dolph Lundgren? Yeah, Rocky IV. 1985, that'd be about right. I would've been 5 or 6!

I'm not prejudiced...and I'll keep an open mind, I promise :) I'll watch Rocky...and you go and watch Delicatessen :D There's a lot of black humour in there!

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 06:13:40 PM »

I can't say anything good about Rocky IV. Well, it's good for a few laughs at the ending scene, I guess. It's not at all comparable to Rocky. No wonder you haven't wanted to see it... since you'd seen IV.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 206 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T