News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 216 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 658410 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2004, 10:09:22 PM »

I watched two great movies this week: Apocalypse Now (Redux) and Adaptation.  (See Christopher, we agree on a movie AGAIN. Apocalypse Now was great. Have you seen the longer "Redux" version?)

I also watched It's a Wonderful Life (which I do every year around this time).  Oh, and Rio Bravo because mgk sent me the DVD thinking I'd like it. She was wrong... but it wasn't too painful. Thanks anyway, M. ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2004, 10:16:26 PM »

I haven't seen Redux. Actually, I've only seen a few minutes of it on TV once. I have the original cut on DVD.

I still haven't seen Adaptation yet.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2004, 10:46:29 PM »

See Adaptation, Christopher. I really enjoyed it and I think you would too, especially since you write screenplays, and that's what the movie is about... writing a screenplay. It's funny, original, and the acting by Nicholas Cage, Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper is all fantastic. And Tilda Swinton's in it. :)

(Ally, you wanted to send me something "really English" for Christmas.... can you send her?)
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2004, 11:11:27 PM »

Adaptation is awesome especially if you've read Robert McKee's Story.  It totally does what McKee says not to do.  

I watched Dangerous Liaisons, Pocahontas, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Glory (gag), and the best of all Million Dollar Baby!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 11:11:49 PM by Chessie » Logged

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2004, 12:28:59 AM »

Alien - I hadn't seen the film in a long time and it was thrilling from begininng to end. Great piece of work by Ridley Scott. It moves so slow and you hardly see the alien at all (MAN IN A SUIT!! MAN IN A SUIT!!) but when he does give you a glimpse at times it scares the crap out of you.

Aliens - What I loved about the first one is it's pacing and how slow it went and how there was hardly any action at all but what I love about the sequel... is the action. Interestingly enough though it take about an hour and twenty minutes for the action to start, how crazy is that? I never actually realized that before.

I can't say enough about this movie either. Everything about it is great. Much like the first one it hardly shows you the aliens. They're always in the dark or Cameron uses quick cuts to show just enough of them while never actually giving you a full money shot, until the end of course.

And how can I not mention Bill Paxton? The best over acting EVER!! And I love it!! It's just the way he plays his character and delivers his lines, it's classic and you can't help but love the guy. I love Hudson. He's one of my favourite film characters.

One of my favourite parts of the film is when the Marines have just walked into the room where the bodies of the station workers have been strung up by the aliens. They find a person who is alive and an alien baby pops ot of her stomach and they fry it. What happens after that is tremendously thrilling. We see the aliens start to move, the radar goes off, the noises come from everywhere and the team gets ambushed. Cameron then cuts back to that military vehilce/mobile command post where Ripley, Burke and the commander are. Over the radio you can hear Hudson scream: "They're coming outta the walls. They're coming outta the goddamn walls, we're [email protected]#ked!" Cameron could have easily shown us them being attacked and given us an action sequence but cutting back to the command center and hearing it over the radio and not seeing what was going on just added so much more to that scene.

Oh and James Horner's score. Brilliant at times. My heart was pounding when Ripley took the vehicle and drove into the building to get the marines. The score there is brilliant.

I can't say enough about this film. I could go on and on and just keep mentioning little details that made the film work in so many ways. James Cameron is probably the best action director out there. He never goes over board with the action and always keeps it real. His last big action film was in 1994 with True Lies. It's been too long Cameron, too long.

If you haven't seen Aliens please for the love of God, see it. It's a truly great piece of cinema.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2004, 12:38:07 PM »

Wow Matt, I saw Adaptation and thought it was one of the most confusing and pointless movies that I'd ever seen. I've only seen it once, so perhaps on a repeat viewing, I might have more appreciation for it, but I really didn't like it at all. I've had this discussion with Ally before, but the movie just didn't make sense to me. I could never tell what was supposed to be the real story.I do agree that the acting from all of the principal characters was quite good, but the story seemed to me to be one of those stories that tried really hard to be intellectual and unpredictable and in the end failed at both.

I've also seen Sideways which I thought was good enough, but I see no reason why it has gotten the huge critical acclaim and awards consideration that it has. I saw nothing spectacular in the film, and I tend to like independent and/or foreign films. It may have something to do with the fact that the whole movie seemed to be about a man who would stop at nothing to dishonor his fiance to satisfy his own ridiculous and selfish notion of a "last fling," and we all know how I dislike that theme. Not only does it happen once, but it happens over and over again, with not one, but two different people. In my opinion, anyone who would do something like that doesn't deserve to be married in the first place. If people were calling it a well-written, well acted, offbeat little film that was pretty good, that wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, but to call it the best picture of the year, that I don't see at all. Perhaps a second viewing would help, but I won't see the film again until it either comes out on DVD or I see it on the television.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 12:40:55 PM by AKA23 » Logged
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2004, 10:04:13 PM »

Talking about films that are overated:

I saw Collateral (a few weeks ago), and it is way overrated.

WKC.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2004, 11:03:59 PM »

The Rock - Although I have a massive distaste and/or hatred for Michael Bay films, this is his best one. It's not a great flick by any means but it is a terribly enjoyable one. From beginning to end it's a thrill ride. Some dialogue is bad but at times it doesn't matter and oddly enough it fits with the feel of the movie. The action is well shot, makes sense actually since that's all Bay knows is how to shoot action.

Bay: "Hey instead of having five explosions... could we have twenty?"
Special Effects Guy: "Why? Why would any film need twenty explosions?"
Bay:"Why not?"
Special Effects Guy: "Because twenty just seems like overkill. At that point it is no longer believable and takes people out of the film and detracts from the characters and the story."
Bay:"....twenty it is then."
Special Effects Guy: "Wait, what?"

It's the perfect action movie to just sit back and watch and not be concerned about plot holes or the absurdness of it all. This is also Sean Connery's last best film before he went downhill. It also has a stellar supporting cast: John Spencer, David Morse, William Forsythe, Michael Beihn (before the alcohol destroyed his career), Tony Todd, John C. McGinley and the hotness of Vanessa Marcil.

Fun, fun, fun. That's all this flick is.

Blade: Trinity - Disappointing is the best way to describe this flick. The first two Blade films I enjoyed a lot and were fun little vampires romps but this one was terrible. Bad dialogue, bad direction, bad shots and just all around weakness. David Goyer is a good writer (of comic book films and other sci-fi films) but not a good director. The action scenes just looked a little sloppy as well. Very, very disappointing.
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2004, 09:43:19 AM »

I agree Brendan

David S Goyer should stick to what he is best at "writing" after writing the script for the first Blade film and it becoming a sucess i reckon he must  have got delusions of grandier.

I never realised Micheal Biehn was a soak, shame this was the tough guy in "Terminator" and Aliens".

Has his career truly finished,,, is he in rehab???

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »

I never realised Micheal Biehn was a soak, shame this was the tough guy in "Terminator" and Aliens".

Has his career truly finished,,, is he in rehab???

Alcohol didn't "ruin" his career but I'd say it contributed to him barely having one now. I've read stories about him showing up on set drunk and just being very arrogant and difficult to work with. It's a shame really since he had talent and probably could have further developed it had he stayed on track. It happens though.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »

I haven't seen Redux. Actually, I've only seen a few minutes of it on TV once. I have the original cut on DVD.

I still haven't seen Adaptation yet.

Stick with the original version of Apocalypse.Now!

I got redux version of it and it`s only longer version not a better version.

Adaption is a great movie.

Lately I´ve been watching Indiana Jones films.Since they are showing the Indy trilogy in finnish tv.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark was still great fun to watch but Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom was rubbish.

Few good moments but not enought to make it a good movie.

Tonight I´m gonna watch Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade and if I remeber correctly it`s a great film.

And also I bought/watched The Magnificent Seven few nights ago.Great film.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2004, 11:39:37 AM »

I saw Intolerable Cruelty. I know some people have liked it but wow, I thought it was really quite a poor movie. I didn't find it funny, charming, or in the least bit witty. I had to watch it because I had guests over from overseas (Holland and Italy) and it was what they picked to watch. Curiously, I had just gotten through telling them how I didn't like George Clooney at all as an actor about a couple of hours prior to that, but I guess they conveniently forgot ;) One of them liked it, the other one thought it was pretty bad.  Not only was the story absolutely ridiculous and completely devoid of any humor, but the whole premise of the movie made a complete mockery of the legal system. It's not possible to continue marrying people haphazardly with reckless abandon hoping to extort half their net worth six months later. That's not how the legal system works. In order to take full advantage of the benefits of marriage, somebody has to be married for quite a few years. How much support you eventually get is determined by how long it has been prior to the dissolution of the marriage. You can't get married and then six months later decide to divorce someone, and then try the same scheme a few weeks or months later, and continue to get a financial windfall every time. The whole premise of the movie is absolutely ridiculous. If the film was engaging and humorous in other ways, I could overlook that, but it simply wasn't. I definitely wouldn't recommend this one.  
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2004, 01:16:47 PM »

Hemlock - I just watched Apocalypse Now, too, the original.......not the Redux.......and it was an excellent film.  I know Marlon Brando was a huge name back then but it seemed strange that he had top billing considering he was only in about 20 minutes of the film.

Also saw Adaptation and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, I will have to admit that I was totally confused at the end.  And, it was bouncing around in my head for a few days.  With some help, I finally got everthing figured out.  :-*

I find the Indiana Jones movies enjoyable, too, but agree with you that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is definitely a weak movie.  I enjoyed Raiders of the Lost Ark a lot but I think my favorite is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  The chemistry between Connery and Harrison was a thrill to watch.

As for some of the other movies mentioned in this thread.....

"Sneakers" (1992) excellent if slightly nerdy film with some very subtle humour well worth a watch.

"Kill Bill Vol II" (2004) tell all your friends this film rocks if you haven't seen it yet do so, possibly the best film of 2004, it worth watching just for David Carradine's coolness all the way through.

Agree with you on both of those movies.  I was blown over with Michael Parks' performance as Esteban Vihaio.  I did not even recognize him until someone pointed him out to me.  Amazing!

Goodfellas - Amazing.

Raging Bull - Best boxing film ever. DeNiro is brilliant and gives the performance of his career. Too bad he's gone downhill these days.

Yes, Goodfellas was a terrific movie.  I haven't seen Raging Bull in a long time but plan to revisited it soon.

I also saw two Denzel Washington movies, The Hurricane and Remember the Titans. I enjoyed them both, though I did enjoy Titans more.

(Sorry, Matt......couldn't fix the italics on The Hurricane for some reason.  It's correct in your post.)

Anyway, Remember the Titans is one of my all-time favorites when it comes to a sport movie and when it comes to a "feel good" movie.  :D

Alien - I hadn't seen the film in a long time and it was thrilling from begininng to end. Great piece of work by Ridley Scott. It moves so slow and you hardly see the alien at all (MAN IN A SUIT!! MAN IN A SUIT!!) but when he does give you a glimpse at times it scares the crap out of you.

Aliens - What I loved about the first one is it's pacing and how slow it went and how there was hardly any action at all but what I love about the sequel... is the action. Interestingly enough though it take about an hour and twenty minutes for the action to start, how crazy is that? I never actually realized that before.

If you haven't seen Aliens please for the love of God, see it. It's a truly great piece of cinema.

Brendan, I watched Alien recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Also plan to watch Aliens soon.  I have seen it before and remember liking it as well.  I also liked The Rock as an entertaining movie and, once again, Connery's charm was a big reason.

Since it is the Christmas Season, I recently watched a couple of traditional movies but had a lot of fun watching A Christmas Story last night.  It was so much fun to get inside of Ralphie's imagination and just be completely entertained by him and his various plans on how to convince his parents that he reallly did need a brand new Ryder BB gun for Christmas.  Delightful. ;D

And, yes, I did send Matt Rio Bravo thinking it would be one of John Wayne's movies that he might like.  Didn't work.  :-[ >:(  Sure glad I didn't pick some of Wayne's other movies since I think  Rio Bravo and The Searches are two of his best.  Oh, well....... ;)

The best movie I have seen in the past decade is The Pianist,  Great movie and I have plans to watch it again sometime fairly soon.

There are so many great movies out "there" that it would be impossible to list them all.  But as I watched them, either for the first time or to re-watch, I will let you know if I can recommend others.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »

I know Coppola has said he believes Apocalypse Now Redux to be better, but I've always found that hard to believe. I wouldn't mind seeing the new footage though. The original cut is my favorite war movie of all.

I've always thought Temple of Doom is a very fun movie. It was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I was very young when I first saw it. The image of the guy's heart being ripped from his chest has been emblazoned on my mind from the time I was a youngster. :D

MGK, I haven't seen Rio Bravo, but I would agree that The Searchers is the best John Wayne movie. Matt, have you seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? That one is another favorite Wayne movie of mine.
slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2004, 11:11:48 AM »

After eagerly awaiting watching "The Passion of the Christ" i was not amused.

What was Gibson thinking of, i just dont get it, what was the reasoning behind the film, apart from chronicling a well known tale thats been done loads of times before.

The acting, the setting, etc was all very authentic and hats off to the researchers who did an excellent job.

But if you ask me Scorsese's "last temptation of christ" was a better film and that was not brilliant. Ok there were some flashbacks with opened up the characters a little but nothing substantial.

Gibsons over the top use of symbolism was also a bit tired, like he had looked over a load of religious paintings before doing the film.

The cross, the crown of thorns and the nails (which the camera panned in on and held for an age towards the end of the film) all overly used and to what avail, its not like this is a new tale.

I can understand the contraversy considering the amount of violence and anti-semiticism but i am sure this was quite realistic of the time.

Is it worth watching well only to see what all the fuss was about, dont expect any higher meaning or enlightenment from this film

:(

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »

Last weekend I watched:
American Flyers, Early Kevin Costner film about cycle racing( not bad ). :)
The swarm,lots of well known actors but not a great film. :(
Death in Venice,Dirk Bogarde film that completely lost me.I have no idea what the hell it was all about.2 hours of my life I won't get back. ???

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2004, 11:45:54 PM »

Jurassic Park - I loved this movie. This is just one hell of a film and one hell of a ride.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Speilberg did not make a good film here. Terrible actually. It had moments but ultimately it served no purpose and had no point. Just when the film could have gone one way (which, with my idea, would have made a better film) it goes in a differant direction and turns into a big dinosaur hunt.

I like it though, when Vince Vaughn's character leaves Ian Malcolm and his group to go ahead and radio for help but when Malcolm and his gorup take the same path they get attacked by raptors. It seems a little odd that Vince Vaughn never got attacked.

And the last half hour was ridiculous. The T-Rex running around San Diego... ah God. And how did the T-Rex kill all the people on the ship? It seems impossible that it managed too. How did it get inside the control room and kill the captain and his crew? All they had to do was walk inside the room and they were safe. There is no way for the T-Rex to get inside that room at all, it's to big. It doesn't make sense as to how they were killed. The baby T-Rex wasn't on the boat so that doesn't explain it. It's a big plot hole.

Jurassic Park III - I enjoyed this in the theatres just because it was a fun ride. But much like The Lost World it could have gone in a differant direction but it chose not too. When I first saw the trailer I believe it had this line:

Amanda: This is how you make dinosaurs?
Dr. Grant: No, this is how you play God.

Now to me that means something. It means they were genetically engineering dinosaurs for use as a weapon or creating some sort of super-dino or mutant dino's (like corss breeding) but they left that alone and never touched on it. That's a shame since it would have made a much better film instead of the Aliens rip-off it turned into.

Oh well. At least there's the first one.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2004, 05:16:34 AM »

Saw Kevin Spacey's Bobby Darin biopic Beyond The Sea last night.. and I gotta say that I really quite enjoyed it.. The reviews have been luke warm to say the least but I think I enjoyed Spacey's nerve, taking on all the singing duties himself. I'm a big Darin fan and thought Spacey did a good job..in fact the performance scenes were my favorites. Maybe Spacey was a little old for the part as a young Darin.. but Darin never looked particularly young, possibly due to ill health... anyway, that didn't spoil the film for me.
I think it was a brave move by Spacey to make this movie, especialy when most young people today probably have no idea who Darin was.. I applaud his nerve.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2004, 06:57:35 AM »

Death in Venice,Dirk Bogarde film that completely lost me.I have no idea what the hell it was all about.2 hours of my life I won't get back. ???
It's based on a great book, maybe you should try reading it some day.  :D  ;)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2004, 11:44:42 PM »

The Station Agent - I think I can now add a new film to my favourites list. Has anyone seen this film?

This is the plot from the IMDb:

When his only friend and co-worker dies, a young man born with dwarfism moves to an abandoned train depot in rural New Jersey. Though he tried to maintain a life of solitude, he is soon entangled with an artist who is struggling with a personal tragedy and an overly-friendly Cuban hot dog vendor.

I'm just so happy I've seen this film. It's such a beautiful piece of work. I loved every minute, every second, every frame of it! This was just such a great film.

There has to be some other board members out there who have seen this wonderful piece of work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 216 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T