News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 216 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 658416 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2004, 11:53:01 PM »

Yes, Brendan, I saw it when it was still in the theater early this year and I liked it a lot.  I liked the way the story didn't really "resolve," but just ended ... the characters learned the importance of friendship, but the filmmakers didn't try to make it look as if friendship could solve everyone's problems. Good performances from everyone concerned, too. Did you remember Patricia Clarkson from The Dead Pool?
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2004, 12:10:59 AM »

No, I didn't remember her from The Dead Pool, I guess it has to do with The Dead Pool being very unmemorable ;D.

I also liked how the movie never resolved anything. The ending just happened and after it I felt alright. They were all happy now. They had each other again. These three differant people each struggling with their own unique problems are able to find comfort with each other and never be afraid.

I was really trying to pick out a favourite scene but I just couldn't. All of the scenes, especially the ones between Fin and Joe, were just great. Like when Joe and Fin are reading together and Fin was timing how long it took for Joe to talk  ;D. The train chasing and even the scene where they're watching the trains go by. Great stuff.

Wonderful film.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »

A while back I bought the Martin Scorsese box set. Of the five movies in the set, I hadn't seen two: After Hours and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (if you don't know, the other three are Goodfellas, Mean Streets, and Who's That Knocking at My Door). I finally watched After Hours last night and hope to watch Alice soon. Anyhow, After Hours is quite a movie. It's probably one of the best "dark comedies" I've ever seen. On top of that, the movie held me in a great deal of suspense. It was somewhat horrifying seeing what would happen to this guy next. I mean, a real sense of dread that runs throughout the movie. I got so caught up, I was never aware or thought about how long I'd been watching the movie or what time it was.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:48:34 PM by Christopher » Logged
masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2004, 04:13:23 PM »

Dr.Stangelove yesterday. The last scene might have been the funniest of all time (with Strangelove's theory on how to survive a war).

Citizen Kane today. One of the best films (if not he best) of all time.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2004, 04:40:29 PM »

Citizen Kane today. One of the best films (if not he best) of all time.

I`ve  never understood why this film is so special ???

Don`t get me wrong I think it`s a good movie but this talk about it being best film ever is an overstatement .

For example Orson Welles`s Touch Of Evil is way better film than Citizen Kane.

Btw I just watched Robert Benton`s Twilight(`98).Paul Newman,Susan Sarandon,James Gardner and Genen Hackman are marvellous in it.
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »

I've never understood why [ Citizen Kane ] is [considered/reputed to be] so special.

Besides the actual quality of the film and its performances and such, the reasons it is so wildly hearlded is for its many innovations on the technical side (some of the shots, cinematographically speaking, were simply unheard of at the time and beyond groudbreaking, and the way the narrative is played with was pretty revolutionary) and of course because of the tremendous and epic backstory of the production - most especially William Randolph Hearst's attempts (and near success) to literally destroy every print of the movie and keep it from being seen at all. And it was a 27-year-old wunderkind's first film, after conquering radio and the New York stage. Orson was such an interesting personality. It's just such a great STORY. So that incredibly rich history coupled with it being a damn fine film apart from all that catapults Citizen Kane routinely into most discussions of "best film ever made".

But personally, I think Chimes at Midnight is Welles' true masterpiece, and that if the Studio hadn't taken The Magnificent Ambersons away from him and recut it that it might be the equal of, if not superior to, Kane.

But Citizen Kane is pretty fu*kin' good.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2005, 05:20:58 PM »

Reservoir Dogs:Quentin Tarantino's first film.I was a little disappointed with this as I was expecting to be as good as Pulp Fiction.I thought too much of the film took place in the hide-out and started to feel like a stage play.

Carlito's Way:Enjoyed this a lot more,great performances by Al Pacino ( has he ever given a bad one ) and Sean Penn ( what was with the hair ).

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2005, 09:52:18 PM »

great performance by Al Pacino (has he ever given a bad one?)

Oh, sure. Scarface, Revolution, The Devil's Advocate, Scent of a Woman and Cruising are all horrible performances. His best work was done in the '70s, most especially The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and the wonderful but underseen Scarecrow with Gene Hackman. I liked him in Carlito's Way and Donnie Brasco a lot, and thought it was a long overdue return to form. His work in HBO's "Angels in America" was fantastic too.

But my goodness yes, he has made some acting missteps over the years.

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2005, 10:00:20 PM »

Holden, have you seen Merchant of Venice yet?  (I hesitate to go because of the "Pacino factor.")
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2005, 10:30:21 PM »

His best work was done in the '70s, most especially The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and the wonderful but underseen Scarecrow with Gene Hackman. I liked him in Carlito's Way and Donnie Brasco a lot, and thought it was a long overdue return to form. His work in HBO's "Angels in America" was fantastic too.

Holden you forgot The Insider, Heat, Insomnia, Any Given Sunday (which could go either way I guess) and a film that nobody saw called People I Know. He gives some of his best work in the latter.

As for The Merchant of Venice, KC, I've heard he gives a good performance. Most of the reviews I've read seem to praise his work in the film. Hope you don't mind me answering the question here.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2005, 03:28:52 AM »

Oh, sure. Scarface, Revolution, The Devil's Advocate, Scent of a Woman and Cruising are all horrible performances. His best work was done in the '70s, most especially The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and the wonderful but underseen Scarecrow with Gene Hackman. I liked him in Carlito's Way and Donnie Brasco a lot, and thought it was a long overdue return to form. His work in HBO's "Angels in America" was fantastic too.

But my goodness yes, he has made some acting missteps over the years.

I wouldn't have said they were bad performances from Pacino,sure the films weren't great but it wasn't due to the acting.Acting missteps is a bit harse considering every actor at sometime in their career will appear in bad movies.I'd call it choice missteps not acting. ;)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2005, 04:02:11 AM »

I wouldn't have said they were bad performances from Pacino,sure the films weren't great but it wasn't due to the acting.Acting missteps is a bit harse considering every actor at sometime in their career will appear in bad movies.I'd call it choice missteps not acting. ;)

I would call them both acting and choice missteps, except for "Scarface", which I thought was fantastic all-around.  Replacing "Scarface" with "City Hall" on that short list, I would agree that Pacino's performances ranged from below average ("City Hall") to ridiculous overacting ("Scent of a Woman").  "Scent of a Woman" is a fun movie that I want to like, but I can't get past the over-and-beyond-the-top performance by Pacino.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 04:46:05 AM by Conan » Logged

slacker

its been a long road, there's no turning back

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2005, 09:49:09 AM »

Al Pacino is a class actor, one of the greats, Scarface was a class movie, Scent of a Woman although not his best was still acted brilliantly.

As for Pacino making his best films in the seventies this is sheer poppycock.

Sea of love, Heat, Donnie Brasco, Sea of Love, Glengarry Glenross all excellent films and lately so was Insomnia, the only bad films i can think of that Pacino has done are "The Recruit" and that awful "Frankie and Johnny" but in a career that spans as long as his does a couple of bad uns aint bad.

I love this actor and will defend him to the hilt the original shouter who more than makes up for his size, Hollywood would not be the same without Pacino.

Has clint ever appeared in a movie with Al, if not he should...thank you very much

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2005, 09:50:11 AM »

No, I haven't seen the new version of The Merchant of Venice. Don't think it has played in Portland yet. But I did like Pacino's Looking for Richard, which was mostly a kind of documentary, but also had Al and others staging some scenes from Richard III.

And guys, Pacino is AWFUL in Scarface. Yes, the movie is definitely crap beyond his performance, but YOWZA.

Glangarry Glen Ross is the only one of his great performances from late in his career I didn't mention.

I thought he and his southern drawl were pretty terrible in People I Know, Brendan. Besides that flick being a stinker overall, Pacino isn't very good in it. Al was fine in Heat and Insomnia, sure, though I don't think they rate anywhere near his best work. Any Given Sunday is crap and his performance is nothing.

I think, anyway.

I recommend you all, Pacino lovers and haters, track down Scarecrow (1973 - Jerry Schatzberg). It's one of those low-key. understated great movies from the '70s that has gotten a bit lost over the years, despite Pacino and Hackman being at the very top of their games. It's a great character piece about two drifters who become traveling buddies in the dusty midwest. Hackman is an ex-con prone to bursts of violence who has a very detailed dream of opening a car wash in Pittsburgh, and Pacino is a more niave ex-merchant marine who tries to solve conflict through offbeat humor rather than fisticuffs...save for the one part of his past he's running away from. They're both great and I think it is Pacino's single best performance.

It's a great movie. Unfortunately not yet available on DVD, and it's a shame because along with everything else there's some beautiful cinemtography by Vilmos Zsigmond (McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Close Encounters of the Third Kind). The opening sequence on the prarie with the storm coming towards them is one of my favorites of that decade, photographically speaking.

Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2005, 09:51:44 AM »

Has clint ever appeared in a movie with Al?

No.

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2005, 09:54:30 AM »

Holden Pike said

And guys, Pacino is AWFUL in Scarface. Yes, the movie is definitely crap beyond his performance, but YOWZA.

How can you say this "Scarface" is a classic film and Pacino is excellent in it.

>:D

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »

How can you say this?

Easily, and with confidence.

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2005, 10:05:46 AM »

Watched "Welcome to the Jungle" (The Rundown in the US) last night.........errr.........well it aint shakespeare..lol.....above average action feel good movie that is totally unbelievable but it aint as bad as some movies out there.

Could have been funnier, could have been directed better, but you have to laugh at "The Rock".

There was a nice cameo by Arnie at the beginning saying "Good Luck " to beck (the rock) is this an official pass of the action hero baton from one old beefcake to another younger version...??????.

One thing though why oh why was Christopher Walken in this film....i am getting sick of Walken appearing as the same old bad guy in films that are way below his calibre...i know this has been going on for a while, i just hope we see some more decent performances from Mr Walken real soon before he becomes a real bad parody of himself.

slacker

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2005, 10:09:06 AM »

Well Holden Pike i am not going to get into an arguement with you but i say this again with ease and confidence.

Scarface is a classic film and Al Pacino's performance is an excellent one, it was one of the first films that i saw with Al in and it converted me into a Pacino fan from then on.

Long live Tony Montana

O0

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2005, 04:52:02 PM »

Watched "Welcome to the Jungle" (The Rundown in the US) last night.........errr.........well it aint shakespeare..lol.....above average action feel good movie that is totally unbelievable but it aint as bad as some movies out there.

Could have been funnier, could have been directed better, but you have to laugh at "The Rock".

It was directed fine. Peter Berg is a man who has a lot of talent. He's a young director to watch. The chemistry between The Rock and Sean William Scott was just great. It was like Dodgeball, in that it's the chemistry and delivery of the lines by the actors that makes the film good and enjoyable. That and The Rundown is just a fun film.

There was a nice cameo by Arnie at the beginning saying "Good Luck " to beck (the rock) is this an official pass of the action hero baton from one old beefcake to another younger version...??????.

He said, "Have fun." and it wasn't meant as a passing of the baton. Arnold, The Rock and director Peter Berg were having lunch together and Berg just, out of nowhere, asked Arnold if he wanted to be in it and Arnold said yes. The Rock has said that he never saw that way and Arnold has said he just did it for fun.

And this is the REAL Scarface.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 216 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T