News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 216 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 648715 times)
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #3220 on: April 05, 2014, 02:40:34 AM »

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608027172884447894&pid=15.1

Thats an awfully PRETTY airplane. Must be British. Or American outta Area 51.

Wait a minnit. It looks like the Firefox. Hmmmmm. 'cept the Firefox landed on the North Pole on SKIDS. Not on dinky little wheels. And the Firefox was one of them Russian airplanes that is weird and ugly not PRETTY.

Hmmmmmmm......

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3221 on: April 05, 2014, 08:01:18 AM »

As a youth I was smitten with baseball and learned to switch hit. I was equally bad on either side of the plate. As a young man I joined the softball team of the plant where I worked. In my first at bat, not having played for some years and having lost my timing, I cluelessly watched several pitches sail by and decided to bunt. I was batting in the lefty way and laid down a perfect one up the third base line. When I swung the bat the result was uncertain and to be determined. But there was no way I could ever miss when I bunted. Back then I was a fast runner and stole second on the second or third pitch after watching and timing the pitcher. Sometimes I look back and speculate that I could have been a major league player specializing in bunting.

When I watched 61 it was a real trip back in the time machine to see Maris bunt because he was in a slump, and to remember of when Mantle was so fast he would sometimes bunt for a hit because he could always beat the throw.

61 is a great movie for a baseball fan to watch and bring alive that year that Mantle and Maris and Moose were roomies and batting good and the Yankees were in the thick of the race.   

One night I was listening to the Yankees game on the radio in the middle 50s and Mantle bunted and reached first. The throw was away from the first baseman so he went for second. Bad throw again! He went for third and came home with a inside-the-park home run on a bunt! For me that gelled the legend of Mantle being my main ball player.

These days, with the extreme shifts all teams seem to put on players, you'd think more of them would lay down a bunt once in a while. But I digress ...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:18:53 AM by KC » Logged
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3222 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »

These days, with the extreme shifts all teams seem to put on players, you'd think more of them would lay down a bunt once in a while. But I digress ...

Like they told Maris in 61....We aint payin you to BUNT! We're payin you to hit them home runs and RBIs! I reckon The Mick heard it a few times too.

My actual experience on the diamond was extremely limited. But, looking back at it, I was a "natural" and had a profound instinctive understanding of the game.

There were times when a batter realizes that he is not able to see the pitcher and swinging away is going to be pure luck. When that happens, a real team player will figure out that it is better to get on base than to strike out futilely trying to hit one of them RBIs. So a real team player will bunt and get on first and the next batter and the whole team will still have all the outs left to make and to work with.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:37:06 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3223 on: April 06, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »

We should probably keep the baseball talk to the Baseball 2014 thread (except for comments directly relating to baseball movies, of course).
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3224 on: April 07, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

We should probably keep the baseball talk to the Baseball 2014 thread (except for comments directly relating to baseball movies, of course).

I was just thinking that KC.    ;)   However I will continue the Baseball thread because the movie I just watched for about the 10th time was Field of Dreams.  I really like this movie, maybe because it is a fantasy or perhaps it is the cast. There is just something about it.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3225 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:16 AM »

Yes...BUT....This baseball talk was in response to a post about the movie "61" in which a prominent and indeed pivotal scene depicts Maris being fearful of swinging away BECAUSE HE IS IN A SLUMP AND NOT SEEING THE PITCHER deciding to bunt instead of swinging blindly and striking out, and then, being lambasted about it by the Management.

There are certainly readers round here who dont follow baseball and so dont know how important it is to watch "61" and see Maris bunt and then get chewed out for it royally.

You cannot fully understand the movie "61" unless you understand the great importance of the pressure that Maris was abused with, and the specific example of his bunt at a time when he had no confidence in his free swinging batting ability.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3226 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:37 AM »

Bright Star (2009)

I thought this was a very good film.

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3227 on: April 08, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »

Saving Mr Banks...... again :)

I think this is a great little movie... I enjoyed it even more second time around. I feel for the first time ever that I realise how good an actor Tom Hanks is. Emma Thompson is superb... Its just a very well made, beautifully acted film  and Im surprised it didnt do better on release..
Makes me want to read her books.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3228 on: April 09, 2014, 06:00:34 AM »

Beowulf (2007)

A friend recommended this recently.  I thought it was good but have to admit it odd watching “motion capture computer animation”.  Ever since Toy Story I’ve been a big fan of CGI but this is different.  I didn’t mind it as much when watching actors I wasn’t familiar with.  Not so when seeing Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright, John Malkovich and Angelina Jolie.  The story was good and there was plenty of action, too.  Overall I thought it was good but not sure I’d want to see it again. 

“Eyuh.”
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3229 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »

The Rookie starring Dennis Quaide

Mr. Baesball starring Tom Selleck
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3230 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »

The Rookie starring Dennis Quaide

Mr. Baesball starring Tom Selleck

Haven't seen Mr. Baseball but my wife and I watched The Rookie not too long ago and enjoyed it very much.

“Eyuh.”
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3231 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »

Just watched these two...

Still great,entertaining films both of them.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3232 on: April 11, 2014, 12:29:45 AM »

O0 O0

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3233 on: April 11, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »

O0 O0

How do you say "I'll have what she's having" in French? :D  ;D
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3234 on: April 11, 2014, 06:52:12 AM »

I like this scene very much, the serious tone of that woman when she says : "Je prendrai la même chose qu'elle !"  ;D
This movie is so funny and good really !  :) 

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3235 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »

Pacific Rim (2013)

Finally got to see this movie.  I've heard a lot about it and enjoyed it.

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3236 on: April 11, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »

Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)

I havn't aeen this Hammer film for nearly 40 years and was pleasantly surprised how well it's held up.
Peter Cushing is excellent as always as Baron Frankenstein... The sets and costumes are good... Its got a good script and is a
very well made and atmospheric little film... with some good morbid humour and choc full of top notch British character actors of the time... A little rushed maybe but probably one of Hammers best efforts...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:31:10 PM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3237 on: April 11, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »

Colombiana

Fun to watch :)

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3238 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Very good, as good as the previous Captain America film.

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3239 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »

Joe

Gran Torino caricature :(

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 216 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T