News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 215 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 562717 times)
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3300 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »

Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll (1987)

Wow, it only took 27 years to check this out!  This was a decent documentary but I wish it had been more informative on Berry's early years.  Although there was commentary on how he got his start, first recordings and the origins of his famous "duck walk", I wish these bits were more extensive.  It would’ve been great to hear his opinion on his contemporaries from that era as well.  In one of the best scenes of the film, he took Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones to school!  I thought it was a riot.  They were jamming together and Richards was having difficulty with an opening guitar part.  After a couple of failed first attemts, Berry says to Richards, "Uh-uh-uh, gotta get it right."  By the fourth attempt, Berry just took the part over himself.  Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Bo Diddley were on hand to offer commentary, as well as Bruce Springsteen.  In the finale performance, there were guest appearances by Bob Dylan, Robert Cray (not sure who he is/was) Linda Ronstadt, Etta James and Julian Lennon, who sounded very much like his dad when he sang Johnny B. Goode with Berry.  I believe Keith Richards was one of the producers of this movie and he was present throughout, offering commentary as well as jamming with Berry behind the scenes and on stage.  He may be in one of the most legendary and successful bands of all times, but Richards can be difficult to understand more often than not and that is the only other downside.  It would be great to see a documentary on all of the founding fathers of rock ‘n’ roll; Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Bill Haley and Elvis.  Not one of these musicians can truly claim to be the originator to this music and Elvis himself said that it was around before he started singing it, just that he was doing it differently.  These guys laid the groundwork for what was to come, the British invasion and different incarnations of rock music that is still very much popular and inspiring new artists today.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3301 on: July 25, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »

Backdraft

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3302 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »

The Wolf Of Wall Street. Another good one by Scorsese and DiCaprio.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3303 on: July 26, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »

Contraband. I enjoyed this movie. Visiting my dad in Maine, helping out with various tasks and errands while he's recovering from a broken foot. Triple fracture last December. He's had a couple of surgeries and a recent skin-graph. He's only just recently been able to put some pressure on it, which affords him the luxury of finally having a little independence. My visits gives me time to watch movies with him and on my own and he's got a decent sized DVD/Blu ray library to choose from.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:26:37 PM by Jed Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3304 on: July 27, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »

Contraband. I enjoyed this movie. Visiting my dad in Maine, helping out with various tasks and errands while he's recovering from a broken foot. Triple fracture last December. He's had a couple of surgeries and a recent skin-graph. He's only just recently been able to put some pressure on it, which affords him the luxury of finally having a little independence. My visits gives me time to watch movies with him and on my own and he's got a decent sized DVD/Blu ray library to choose from.
Glad you're able to make the best of the situation and have some fun watching some movies.

I haven't watched many movies here lately, but I was thinking I wanted to watch all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies before the new movie comes out next month. I have one of those 4-film favorites DVD sets with the original trilogy from the early '90s, as well as TMNT from several years ago, which I actually haven't seen. It's been years since I've seen those first three. So I'll be digging that DVD out this week.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3305 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »

Glad you're able to make the best of the situation and have some fun watching some movies.

I haven't watched many movies here lately, but I was thinking I wanted to watch all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies before the new movie comes out next month. I have one of those 4-film favorites DVD sets with the original trilogy from the early '90s, as well as TMNT from several years ago, which I actually haven't seen. It's been years since I've seen those first three. So I'll be digging that DVD out this week.

I've been meaning to pick up the trilogy myself.  I have TMNT but haven't seen any of them yet.

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3306 on: July 28, 2014, 05:42:41 AM »

Thanks, Christopher.  Sorry, I meant to thank you in my last post but just realized I hadn't.  The best part about spending all this time with my dad is it's helping our relationship, which has been quite rocky for the past number of years.  There's a couple of drive-ins not far from where he lives so I'm going to suggest checking a movie out at one of those sometime soon.  My dad brought me to my first drive-in movie but I don't recall the title of that one or any others we'd seen there.  I'd gone to a few drive-in movies in the summer of '87 but was too busy with my date to care what was playing. 

“Eyuh.”
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3307 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »

Translated in " Dans l'Ombre de Mary" in French.

Great movie, great actors !  O0
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:12:34 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3308 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »

Backdraft.

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3309 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »

Jack Reacher

Liked it...

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3310 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

Jack Reacher

Liked it...

It wasn't a bad movie, but they should have called Cruise's character Jack Cantreacher. :P
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3311 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:05 AM »

L.A. Confidential

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3312 on: August 05, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

Cantreacher.... Now that's good  :)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3313 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:31 AM »

The Hurt Locker.  I'd seen it before but for the life of me coulnd't remember the ending.  Well, it came back to me when I saw it.  Good movie, but just good.

“Eyuh.”
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3314 on: August 07, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »

Paura in citta

Merli at his best :)

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3315 on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »

'' Frozen ''  2013   By Walt Disney Animation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_%282013_film%29

'' 3 Days to Kill ''   2014  By McG.  with Kevin Costner, Amber Heard, Hailee Steinfeld.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Days_to_Kill

''  The Secret Life of Walter Mitty ''   2013   By Ben Stiller. With Ben Stiller, Shirley MacLaine, Sean Penn, Adam Scott, Kathryn Hahn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Walter_Mitty_%282013_film%29

I recently watched several films in Japan Airlines, round trip between Paris Tokyo.  For exemple '' Frozen '' was the ideal to sleep!  And what was boring  '' 3 Days to Kill ''!!  ???   Finally '' Mitty '' was unexpected Ben Stiller's movie for me!  It was very interesting and I enjoyed very much!  :)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3316 on: August 10, 2014, 01:30:33 AM »

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

This is a must see film but be prepared for some gut wrenching scenes, especially towards the end. A young German boy, the son of an SS officer strikes up a friendship with a young Jewish boy in a prison camp during WWII.

This would have gotten 5/5 from me but the use of English actors with very pronounced English accents playing Germans hurt the film. Apart from that it's brilliant.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #3317 on: August 10, 2014, 06:36:43 AM »

The Guardian .  This movie has been around since 2006 but I had never seen it. I liked it very much. The story of the US Coast Guards is foremost with a fictional story running along side. The extras after the movie tell you a lot about how the Coast Guards are trained. I was interested to learn some of the real Coast Guards appeared in the movie. 5/5
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3318 on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »

Killing Season

...not as bad as expected

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3319 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »

"Le Cinquième Element" , Luc Besson (The Fifth Element)

... waiting for his last one "Lucy"  ;)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 215 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T