News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 431164 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4100 on: July 05, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »

Didja like it? :)

I'm completely shocked James Cromwell was nominated for an Oscar for that role, and in that movie. I really thought with an Oscar nomination, the movie would be more (pardon the pun) meaty.  It was really a children's movie. I thought it would at least be what I'd consider a family film - like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. But, Babe seemed like a step above Sesame Street.  Even Christopher has said he loves the movie (I shouldn't be surprised!  ;) )  James Cromwell did a perfect job, but it had to be maybe the easiest role of his career. It was maybe the easiest acting job ever nominated for an Academy Award.

As far as kids movies go, it was okay. And I may not eat a BLT for a few weeks.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4101 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »

After all, Cromwell had to constantly fight against being upstaged by a cute animatronic pig! A thankless task. ;D

EDIT: I stand corrected ... Babe was played by a series of (mostly) very real piglets. (Why a series? They grow up so fast!) There was one animatronic pig, used in long shots when the animal trainer couldn't easily be hidden nearby.

That, and other fun trivia here:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66969/15-fun-facts-about-babe
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:48:09 PM by KC » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4102 on: July 06, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »

Wow, it was nominated for SEVEN Academy Awards. What got into those Academy members that year?  :idiot2:

Very interesting that the movie inspired so much vegetarianism/veganism.  I can see that. I love animals, and pigs are great -- the dogs I get always  resemble pigs more than wolves. But, I couldn't go without a good hamburger or eggs with sausage/bacon now and then.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #4103 on: July 06, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »

Always liked this sheeppig movie  ;D

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4104 on: July 06, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »

Babe is based on a children's book by Dick King-Smith (originally published in England as The Sheep Pig). So yep, it's a kids movie at heart. In fact the sequel Babe: Pig in the City was criticized as being too dark and scary for kids from a lot of people. I was 12 when Babe came out in 1995, so while hardly a young kid at the time, the movie completely worked for me. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I'm sure my opinion hasn't changed much for it. But perhaps my opinion for it would be different if I just watched it now for the first time.

It is surprising that Cromwell was nominated since it's not the sort of performance that usually gets nominated, but it was his star making film.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4105 on: July 07, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Get Hard

Had its moments.
(I laughed a lot  >:D)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4106 on: August 01, 2017, 12:24:15 AM »

Toni Erdman 2016

German film that has recieved heaps of praise from the critics and loads of awards..

Its a comedy kind of.. or at least quite a serious film with some big laughs.. Peter Simonischek is quite brilliant as an aging father trying to re connect with his daughter played by Sandra Huller.. She no longer finds his pranks and jokes funny and is imersed in a successful tho stressful career and he turns up by surprise to at first embarrass her in front of her freinds and collegues but gradually to try and re build the bond between them..

Its a long film but it slowely grows on the viewer, the laughs are big but theres also quite long moments of melancholy..

I really liked this movie and I think I'd like to watch it again..

Being re-made soon by Hollywood starring Jack Nicholson..  :idiot2:

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4107 on: August 01, 2017, 01:41:38 AM »

I was disappointed in Toni Erdmann, after all the hype. I found "Toni"'s antics about as funny as his daughter does. And it's at least an hour too long. Typical German, if they think something's funny, they can't stop saying it. That said, the friend I saw it with (who is German) and another (American) friend both liked it a lot ... and now Gant does too ... so maybe it's just me. ;)

But wild horses couldn't drag me into the American remake! :o
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4108 on: August 01, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »

Shall We Dance?

I don't like dancing & I don't like movies about dancing either  >:(

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4109 on: August 01, 2017, 03:14:32 PM »

An hour in and I would've agreed with you KC but gradually I got sucked in and by the end enjoyed it...
Like you I will be avoiding the re make...

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4110 on: August 26, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »

Charlie Wilson's War is a good film
Free State of Jones  is a boring one

antonis
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4111 on: September 08, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »

Burnt

Nothing great but, watchable

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4112 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:23 PM »

Manchester by the Sea... Good film, great central performance by Casey Affleck..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:57:36 PM by Gant » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4113 on: September 30, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

This is a sweet little film. A little slow in parts but Robert Redford is always good to watch and Jane Fonda is fine also. Not memorable but if you've got 110 minutes to kill.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4114 on: October 07, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

Has anyone else seen Paterson? It's "96% Fresh" on RottenTomatoes.com, so I thought it would be worthwhile. The movie is so much like average life, that it's boring. It's the story of an average man who has an average job, an average relationship, he's an unpublished poet and his poetry is... (you guessed it) average.  So, the movie allows you to glimpse into someone else's very average life for about 2 hours, and I just want more from a movie. All in all, this movie is very average -- it gets a C (minus).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4115 on: October 08, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »

;D I could tell by looking at that poster that it would be boring ... and here's the summary you get in the Google sidebar when you search it:

Paterson (Adam Driver) is a hardworking bus driver in Paterson, N.J., who follows the same routine every day. He observes the city and listens to fragments of conversations while picking up and dropping off his passengers. Paterson also writes heartfelt poems in a notebook, walks his dog and drinks one beer in a bar after his shift is over. Waiting for him at home is Laura (Golshifteh Farahani), his beloved wife who champions his gift for writing.

Guy doesn't even have the imagination to have a different name from the city where he lives and works. At least he could call himself, oh, I don't know ... William Carlos Williams or something.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4116 on: October 08, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

Guy doesn't even have the imagination to have a different name from the city where he lives and works. At least he could call himself, oh, I don't know ... William Carlos Williams or something.

William Carlos Williams was one of his inspirations -- and he also lived in Paterson, NJ and wrote a collection of poems about it called Paterson.  The town was a magnet for people with little imagination.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4117 on: October 09, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »

Has anyone else seen Paterson? It's "96% Fresh" on RottenTomatoes.com, so I thought it would be worthwhile. The movie is so much like average life, that it's boring. It's the story of an average man who has an average job, an average relationship, he's an unpublished poet and his poetry is... (you guessed it) average.  So, the movie allows you to glimpse into someone else's very average life for about 2 hours, and I just want more from a movie. All in all, this movie is very average -- it gets a C (minus).

I liked it. Yes, it's "boring" but it worked for me. Not sure why, just did, and I'm not much of a fan of Jim Jarmusch. I absolutely hated Only Lovers Left Alive. It was like being thrust inside the mixed up head of some feminine teenage goth. Paterson I quite liked, though.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4118 on: October 24, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »

Am currently watching Alien..... for the very first time..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4119 on: November 01, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »

I've watched Ten Little Indians (1965) and And Then There Were None (1945) over the previous two nights. Both are adaptations of the same book from Agatha Christie, which I actually didn't realize when I recorded both. And from the looks of it, that novel might be the most adapted from Christie's work based on the number of movie versions showing up on IMDb. I enjoyed both movies, and in recent months I've seen two of the Miss Marple movies that Margaret Rutherford starred in. I haven't read much of Christie's work (but am planning on starting Murder on the Orient Express soon to try to beat the new movie coming out) but do enjoy these various movies.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T