News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies I have watched this week  (Read 497779 times)
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4200 on: August 23, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »

Well... I really loved this film..
Sally Hawkins is absolutely superb in this cold war fable..
A wierd and wonderful romantic thriller.. Michael Shannon also fantastic as the villian of the piece..
At times it reminded me a little of a Tim Burton film, maybe a little of Edward Sissorhands..

Totally 10/10

I really loved "Pan's Labyrinth," which is another one of the director's films, but I did not like this movie. I found it to be quite strange, and in particular, didn't really like all the weird sexual stuff. However, I must confess, sci-fi has never been a favorite genre for me. I was quite surprised when this won Best Picture. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Gant. It definitely was original.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4201 on: August 24, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »

Totally agree on Pans Labyrinth, I think that's an amazing film...

But I kinda liked the strangeness aspects of "water" and I did think all the performances were exceptional...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4202 on: August 31, 2018, 02:27:54 AM »

Unsane
Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Psychological thriller shot completely on i-phone.

Starring Claire Foyle. A woman is tricked into allowing herself to be incarcerated in a mental asylum
with a man who may or may not be her stalker..

Enjoyed it.. Foyle is great..a few plot holes aside its an edgy thriller with a great central performance.. Reminded me a little of Shock Corridor..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4203 on: September 03, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »

Tina & I watched this yesterday. Great seeing it again. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4204 on: September 03, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »

Though Anthony Minghella`s The Talented Mr.Ripley was good this version is even better.Alain Delon is great!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4205 on: September 03, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »

And Creed 2 on its way...

I've never heard of this Alain Delon version.. I gotta see it now... I'm quite a fan of the books..

Cheers..

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4206 on: September 03, 2018, 07:10:46 PM »

Plein soleil (English title, inexplicably, Purple Noon) is great. From the Criterion website:

Alain Delon was at his most impossibly beautiful when Purple Noon was released and made him an instant star. This ripe, colorful adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s vicious novel The Talented Mr. Ripley, directed by the versatile René Clément, stars Delon as Tom Ripley, a duplicitous American charmer in Rome on a mission to bring his privileged, devil-may-care acquaintance Philippe Greenleaf (Maurice Ronet) back to the United States. What initially seems a carefree tale of friendship soon morphs into a thrilling saga of seduction, identity theft, and murder. Featuring gorgeous location photography of coastal Italy, Purple Noon is crafted with a light touch that allows it to be at once suspenseful and erotic, and it gave Delon the role of a lifetime.
https://www.criterion.com/films/27810-purple-noon
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4207 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:08 PM »

Tina & I watched this yesterday. Great seeing it again. 

Good idea. I'll have to dig this out too. It's about that time.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4208 on: September 09, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »

I watched "Dial M for Murder" this weekend. It was randomly on TV and I decided to check it out. I don't think I'd ever seen an Alfred Hitchcock movie before. I liked it!
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4209 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:50 AM »

I don't think I'd ever seen an Alfred Hitchcock movie before. I liked it!

No way!! Really? Not one Hitchcock film ever!!!!!!!

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4210 on: September 10, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »

No way!! Really? Not one Hitchcock film ever!!!!!!!
Same response here! :o  He made a lot of great movies!
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4211 on: September 10, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »

Same response here! :o  He made a lot of great movies!

I haven't seen most older movies. I'm usually not a fan of black and white movies, and Hitchcock made movies in an era where most movies wene in black and white, so I've never sought his films out. His movies were usually not on TV on the channels that I watched, so without proactively renting them, I had no way to watch them. I'm looking forward to discovering more Hitchcock classics. Maybe they'll even help me get over my irrational dislike for black and white movies.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4212 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »

AKA, you must advance your Hitchcock education ASAP!  :o

You might start with Rear Window or North by Northwest (both color films).  :)

Hitchcock made films in six decades, starting in the 1920s, so much of his mature production was actually in color. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:44:31 PM by KC » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4213 on: September 10, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »

I'm usually not a fan of black and white movies,

I've never understood this statement and it's not the first time I've heard someone say it. Some of the greatest films ever made are in black and white. To not watch a film because it's in B&W is bizarre. Why would anyone deprive themselves of the 1,000's of movies made in B&W. Crikey, I really must be getting old or something. ???

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4214 on: September 11, 2018, 07:21:39 AM »

^ Indeed, SK, indeed. One word: Casablanca.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4215 on: September 11, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »

I recently rewatched Casablanca... Pure gold, every single scene..

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4216 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »

I've never understood this statement and it's not the first time I've heard someone say it. Some of the greatest films ever made are in black and white. To not watch a film because it's in B&W is bizarre. Why would anyone deprive themselves of the 1,000's of movies made in B&W. Crikey, I really must be getting old or something. ???

It's perfectly fair that you don't really understand why people say this. As I said, I do think it's a somewhat irrational perspective that I'd be happy to challenge. I think for me, I enjoy movies the most when they are totally immersive experiences. I find movies that are black and white to be far less immersive than movies in color. The sights of a movie and how it strikes me visually is an important aspect of a movie that I appreciate. It's hard for me to feel completely absorbed in a black and white movie as a result, and being completely absorbed is what I am hoping to experience when watching movies.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4217 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »

Monday night I went to a 20th anniversary screening of the Japanese animated movie Perfect Blue. I'd seen an ad for the movie and thought it might be good. I haven't seen much anime, but I did enjoy the movie (though I'm not entirely sure it completely makes sense). Are there any anime fans on the board? Any other movies you might recommend?
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4218 on: September 20, 2018, 02:44:20 PM »

Just to add to the black and white and color movies. I own It's A wonderful life and my DVD came with a black and white and color copy. I've always really enjoyed watching this movie in black and white. But the color version I have to turn it off 10 mins into the film. Can't watch it in color.   Same with  12 Angry Men love watching it in black and white. Back when I got the TCM channel I really enjoyed watching them in black and white too. But it would be hard for me to watch a newer recent movie in black and white. Cause we're use to movies of today being in color. So I kind of agree with both of you. Some movies are better in black and white. And others the vivid colors really makes the movie exceptional to watch. Like the movie Jaws I would much rather see it in color.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #4219 on: September 20, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »

There must be a thing with Christmas movies and colorized versions. My DVD of the 1951 Scrooge also has a colorized version included along with the original black and white. I've never even looked to see what the movie looks like in color.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T