News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 346211 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: September 28, 2005, 07:51:19 AM »

Yup... it's gonna get a lot tougher real soon. Some heavyweight songs on the horizon.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: September 28, 2005, 09:29:38 AM »

1 I Don't Want to Spoil the Party
2 Every Little Thing
3 No Reply

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2005, 01:59:51 PM »

1. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
2. Every Little Thing
3. No Reply

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #183 on: September 28, 2005, 02:39:02 PM »

1. No Reply
2. Eight Days A Week
3. Every Little Thing

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

That ends Round 13--the most diverse round of voting thus far. Because of a tie, I used the point system, and here's how the votes came in:  "No Reply" 14, "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" 13, "Every Little Thing" 12, "Eight Days a Week" 8, "She's A Woman" 7. So we lose "No Reply" and "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FOURTEEN

This round, we'll hear the last recorded songs from "Beatles for Sale" (remember we had five cover songs from this album in Round 1). Also included this round is the "A" side of the single "I Feel Fine", and the first song from The Beatles fifth album, "Help" released on August 6, 1965.

Their second motion picture of the same name was released in the U.K. on July 29, 1965.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "I Feel Fine" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
2.  "I'll Follow The Sun" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
3.  "Words Of Love" (Holly); Lead vocal: Lennon and Harrison
4.   "What You're Doing" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
5.   "Ticket To Ride" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

NOTE:  You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2005, 08:38:06 PM »

Finally, an easy round!

I think "Words of Love" is the worst cover they've ever recorded. That HAS to go.

1) "Words of Love"
2) "What You're Doing"
3) "I'll Follow The Sun"

I love the Help album. Their music growth between 1964 and 1966 is enormous, and this album (in my opinion) is the first real sign of that growth.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »

Finally, an easy round!

I think "Words of Love" is the worst cover they've ever recorded. That HAS to go.

1) "Words of Love"
2) "What You're Doing"
3) "I'll Follow The Sun"

I love the Help album. Their music growth between 1964 and 1966 is enormous, and this album (in my opinion) is the first real sign of that growth.

I 100% agree. It feels like there should be another album between Beatles For Sale and Help!, considering  the growth that they achieved.  (An impression that is less so, though, if you're only familiar with their American released LP's.  Which is one reason why I'm really enjoying this thread, because for the first time I'm listening to all of their work in the order it was created.   Also it seemed as if John was in a slump, but that that slump was permanantly over begininning with the recordings of "I Feel Fine" and "Ticket to Ride", two of my all-time favorite Beatles' songs -- of any era!  It was if he'd said to himself: "I can't beat Paul when it comes to writing throw-away pop-rock songs, so let's see if he can keep up with this!"  And the race was on, each of them trying to outdo the other in terms of innovation, creativity, and artistic standards.  Help! was only the beginning.  I know  that's a simplification, but that's what it feels like to me listening to these songs in the order they were recorded, and of my history of listening to The Beatles. and of my knowledge of what is yet still to come.  The songs off of Beatles For Sale are my least favorite from any time in The Beatles' history, coming right before the albums that make up some of my favorites in The Beatles' catalogue: Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver. )

Anyway my votes:

1 Words of Love
2 What You're Doing
3 I'll Follow the Sun

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2005, 10:32:40 PM »

1   What You're Doing
2   Words Of Love
3   I'll Follow The Sun
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2005, 11:12:54 PM »

1- Words Of Love
2- What You're Doing
3- I'll Follow The Sun

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2005, 12:31:46 AM »

100% agree with you Matt/Doug..

I've never owned Beatles for sale.. mainly cos of the abundance of covers. They definitely made a huge leap with Help. Lennons songwriting is really coming into it's own. That said I've only recently discoverd I'll Follow The Sun and can't stop playing it. It seems almost the quintisential Beatles song at this point. What I mean to say is that it seems to have no real outside influences. Pure Beatles...

Not sure if that made sense.. but anyway..I can't vote it off... not yet anyway. ;D

1   Words Of Love
2   What Your Doing
3   Damn..!!!  listened to the other tracks... got no choice.. :( :( :(  I'll Follow the Sun  :o

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2005, 03:02:19 AM »

1. Words of Love
2. I'll follow the sun
3. What's you're doing

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2005, 03:28:35 AM »

1. Words Of Love
2. What Your Doing
and :

I feel the same as Gant here
3. I'll Follow The Sun

I used to sing this to my children at bedtime, now they're all grown up  :'(

" Please Dad, if you stop singing we'll go to sleep"

Ahh, Bless 'em  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2005, 04:30:16 AM »

It was if he'd said to himself: "I can't beat Paul when it comes to writing throw-away pop-rock songs, so let's see if he can keep up with this!"  And the race was on, each of them trying to outdo the other in terms of innovation, creativity, and artistic standards.  Help! was only the beginning.

Very good way of putting it.  O0

Don't worry Gant and Lucky Punk, I think "I'll Follow The Sun" will survive this round.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2005, 09:55:07 AM »

I agree with you guys

1. Words Of Love
2. What You're Doing
3. I'll Follow The Sun

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2005, 09:57:55 AM »

words of love
ticket to ride

I'll Follow The Sun

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »

I refuse...strike!!

ok.... :-\

1 What You're Doing
2 Words Of Love

Lord...I can't....I can't...

ok  :-[

3 I'll Follow The Sun

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2005, 07:24:12 PM »

And that ends Round 14. Say goodbye to "Words of Love" and "What You're Doing".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FIFTEEN

This round, we continue with songs from the "Help!" album, as well as the "B" side to the "Ticket to Ride" single, "Yes It Is", released on April 9, 1965.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Another Girl" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
2.  "I Need You" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with Lennon and McCartney
3.  "Yes It Is" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
4.   "The Night Before" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
5.   "You Like Me Too Much" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2005, 08:07:34 PM »

My votes this round:

1) "You Like Me Too Much"
2) "I Need You"
3) "Yes It Is"

George's songwriting is about to improve dramatically too. But, as of "Help", it's still not in the same league as Paul's and John's.

I love "Yes It Is". Though similar in composition to "This Boy", it's just not as good. It was a tough call between that and "Another Girl" for the 3rd spot, but I'm giving Paul's song the edge.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 05:46:20 AM by Matt » Logged
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2005, 10:50:11 PM »

1 You Like Me Too Much
2 Yes It Is
3 I Need You

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2005, 11:15:28 PM »

1- You Like Me Too Much
2- Another Girl
3- I Need You

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T