News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 238917 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2240 on: December 30, 2017, 12:39:25 AM »

Arise Sir Ringo!! :D

news.com.au

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2241 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

I am really enjoying this -- extremely well done documentary on George Harrison. It's on Netflix! Give it a go!  O0
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2242 on: March 13, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »

Arise Sir Ringo!! :D

news.com.au

I missed this one. What took them so long?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2243 on: May 25, 2018, 02:00:03 AM »

This guy is truly amazing. His youtube channel consists of these mind-blowing covers of Beatles songs, and this one is certainly the most impressive:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZzJbFJkfZ6I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZzJbFJkfZ6I</a>

But equally outstanding is this cover of "Dig a Pony," which is a song I've always liked a lot, but now I just love it. It's just a cover of the lead and rhythm guitars (originally played Harrison and Lennon respectively), and in the Beatles recording you can't hear the lead guitar all that well, so hearing it like this has just opened my eyes to this song. If you listen to it, make sure to read his description. He's so exact with his covers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PUPfkB1W520" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PUPfkB1W520</a>

He does a similar cover of Get Back that's great too, and it's notable for being one of the few Beatles songs where John plays the lead guitar part.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2244 on: June 15, 2018, 02:40:00 AM »

The movie Yellow Submarine will be coming back to the theatres this summer for its 50th anniversary. I don't see anything listed yet for my area, which might be a bad sign, but I definitely want to see it if I can. Here's the website:

http://www.yellowsubmarine.film/

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2245 on: June 25, 2018, 11:00:27 PM »

Listening to the new Paul McCartney single... Pretty awful I'm afraid to say...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2246 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »

This is too important not to post: The Beatles are indeed releasing a new stereo remixed special edition of The White Album this November. https://variety.com/2018/music/news/the-beatles-announce-white-album-deluxe-50th-anniversary-edition-1202954236/

There's going to be I think two deluxe version, one a three CD version, and then a seven disc "super deluxe" version, and I don't care how much it costs, i'm going with the super deluxe version. Here's what you can expect:

Super Deluxe [6CD+1Blu-ray set / digital audio collection]

CD 1: The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Martha My Dear
I’m so tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Don’t Pass Me By
Why don’t we do it in the road?
I Will
Julia

CD 2: The BEATLES (‘White Album’) 2018 Stereo Mix
Birthday
Yer Blues
Mother Nature’s Son
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long
Revolution I
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

CD 3: Esher Demos
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I’m so tired
Blackbird
Piggies
Rocky Raccoon
Julia
Yer Blues
Mother Nature’s Son
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Revolution
Honey Pie
Cry Baby Cry
Sour Milk Sea
Junk
Child of Nature
Circles
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
Not Guilty
What’s the New Mary Jane

CD 4: Sessions
Revolution I (Take 18)
A Beginning (Take 4) / Don’t Pass Me By (Take 7)
Blackbird (Take 28)
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide
Except Me and My Monkey (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Good Night (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Good Night (Take 10 with a guitar part from Take 5)
Good Night (Take 22)
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Take 3)
Revolution (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Revolution (Take 14 – Instrumental backing track)
Cry Baby Cry (Unnumbered rehearsal)
Helter Skelter (First version – Take 2)

CD 5: Sessions
Sexy Sadie (Take 3)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Acoustic version – Take 2)
Hey Jude (Take 1)
St. Louis Blues (Studio jam)
Not Guilty (Take 102)
Mother Nature’s Son (Take 15)
Yer Blues (Take 5 with guide vocal)
What’s the New Mary Jane (Take 1)
Rocky Raccoon (Take 8)
Back in the U.S.S.R. (Take 5 – Instrumental backing track)
Dear Prudence (Vocal, guitar & drums)
Let It Be (Unnumbered rehearsal)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Third version – Take 27)
(You’re so Square) Baby, I Don’t Care (Studio jam)
Helter Skelter (Second version – Take 17)
Glass Onion (Take 10)

CD 6: Sessions
I Will (Take 13)
Blue Moon (Studio jam)
I Will (Take 29)
Step Inside Love (Studio jam)
Los Paranoias (Studio jam)
Can You Take Me Back? (Take 1)
Birthday (Take 2 – Instrumental backing track)
Piggies (Take 12 – Instrumental backing track)
Happiness is a Warm Gun (Take 19)
Honey Pie (Instrumental backing track)
Savoy Truffle (Instrumental backing track)
Martha My Dear (Without brass and strings)
Long, Long, Long (Take 44)
I’m so tired (Take 7)
I’m so tired (Take 14)
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Take 2)
Why don’t we do it in the road? (Take 5)
Julia (Two rehearsals)
The Inner Light (Take 6 – Instrumental backing track)
Lady Madonna (Take 2 – Piano and drums)
Lady Madonna (Backing vocals from take 3)
Across the Universe (Take 6)

Blu-ray: The BEATLES (‘White Album’)
Audio Features:
: PCM Stereo (2018 Stereo Mix)
: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (2018)
: Dolby True HD 5.1 (2018)
: Mono (2018 Direct Transfer of ‘The White Album’ Original Mono Mix)

If I read that correctly, that's two alternate takes of "Helter Skelter." Does that mean one of them could be the infamous twenty-something minute long version, the version that resulted in Ringo yelling "I"ve got blisters on my fingers" as they finally wrapped up the song, which the stereo version ends with when it fades back in? I'm not going to get my hopes up, but still ....

Also I want to say "Revolution (Take 14 – Instrumental backing track)" is the version that goes on for like ten minutes, devolving into strange sound effects and noise, which were later used in "Revolution 9". If so I have a bootleg of this but it's with the vocals. I'm curious to hear it.

And finally, I wonder how much this will set me back?  ???

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2247 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »

I haven't been buying any of the remastered Beatles albums - the last Beatles album I bought was Love, but this one looks like a must-have. Glad to see Giles Martin as producer.  He did great with his father on Love, and I just like that the Beatles music is in the hands of "family". Yeah, I'll probably be buying this one.  8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2248 on: September 25, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »

I would be very interested in hearing the recently re mastered/mixed Sergeant Pepper album to see if it really
 is such a vast improvement over the original release... Did anyone hear it yet.. ?   

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2249 on: September 26, 2018, 03:49:47 AM »

I would be very interested in hearing the recently re mastered/mixed Sergeant Pepper album to see if it really
 is such a vast improvement over the original release... Did anyone hear it yet.. ?

I never bought it and I've heard it only as mp3's and showcased on the radio, and I think it sounds great. They were able to use the original individual recordings before they were mixed down, so it's cleaner and sharper... but I say if you have the remastered mono version of the album, it's not necessary to get it. For me I didn't feel the extras made it worth purchasing.

Now the White Album on the other hand... I have both the remastered stereo version and the remastered mono version, and I don't think this new mix is going to add all that much. I love the stereo version of the album, and while it has its flaws, especially if you listen to it on headphones, I'm not as interested in a new mix as I am with the extras. Four CDs worth of extras! And the Esher Demos alone will make owning this a must. The Beatles used Harrison's four-track studio to rehearse all the songs on the album and they made very careful, highly developed acoustic demos of these songs before going into the studio to record the album, often recording many dozens of takes to work out the songs. These demos promise to be incredible. And that's not including three more CDs of extras and a blu ray, though I have no idea of what's on the blu Ray.

It's listed at $160 on the Beatles store. It might be a little cheaper through Amazon, but I'm not going to fret about the cost.

Here's a teaser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UAhWGnDZ0po" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UAhWGnDZ0po</a>

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2250 on: September 26, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »

Here's a teaser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UAhWGnDZ0po" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UAhWGnDZ0po</a>

The Beatles Unplugged. I like it!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2251 on: September 27, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »

Okay, here's a hint at what to expect for the new stereo mix of the White Album, a comparison between the 2009 remastered stereo version and the new version of Back in the U.S.S.R.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0ArlUSVDQIw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0ArlUSVDQIw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zd1zG9isRqI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zd1zG9isRqI</a>

Clearly the new stereo mix is superior in terms of the mix itself, and it does seem the drums are clearer and not just because they're moved to the center, and there seems to be a bit more bass. I think it sounds really good, more clarity, more depth, and if for no other reason than it being a different mix, some of the elements stand out more. I think the backing vocals sound a lot better. It's pretty impressive, and seems to be keeping with the spirit of the original sound of the album. Based on this one track. I can't wait to hear the rest of it. I can see some of the tracks really gaining a lot from the new mix, particularly the harder rocking songs. (I do hope they didn't "fix" Revolution 9 too much.)

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2252 on: September 27, 2018, 04:12:02 AM »

I listened to these three versions on the way to work this morning.  I’m looking forward to perusing the 50th anniversary edition on Spotify the day of release. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2253 on: September 27, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »

One of the main things that interested me about the Pepper re mix was the (apparently) vast improvement
It made to the drums...

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2254 on: Today at 02:18:00 AM »

Wow.. this new mix of USSR sounds fantastic.. clearer, more poweful, more drums.. !!! Thanks for posting

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2255 on: Today at 02:20:24 AM »

As a kid one of my fave Beatle solo albums was Walls and Bridges.. Havn't played it in ages but listening to it this week it still sounds fantastic. Great songs and playing.. Its an album that sometimes seems a little overlooked but I think its one of Lennons best..

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T