News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 346154 times)
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #360 on: October 11, 2005, 11:09:08 PM »

1. She's Leaving Home
2. Within You Without You
3. Magical Mystery Tour

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: October 12, 2005, 12:52:28 AM »

1 She's Leaving Home
2 Within You Without You
3 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

A really weak round, I think.  Not that I dislike these songs, because I do like them okay, they're just all pretty far down on my favorite's list.  (Well, "She's Leaving Home" I generally skip over.)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2005, 02:00:13 AM »

1. Within You Without You
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Sgt Pepper's ( reprise )

She's Leaving Home - hope this makes it through. This has a beautiful harmony. The narrative reminds me of the "kitchen sink" dramas of 60s British films like A Kind Of Loving and TV Docu/drama Kathy Come Home.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #363 on: October 12, 2005, 02:56:11 AM »

Lin, does this look like your old Cavern Club card?

(Front of business card-sized booklet)

Yes it does. Matt.   :'( If only I still had it.    The little blank pages inside were for stamps on visits I think.   You sure have brought back memories. 

My votes this round.

1   Within You Without You
2   With A Little Help From My Friends

3   She's Leaving Home
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #364 on: October 12, 2005, 06:15:00 AM »

1- Within You Without You
2- With A Little Help From My Friends
3- She's Leaving Home

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #365 on: October 12, 2005, 12:28:36 PM »

1. Within You Without You
2. She's Leaving Home
3. Magical Mystery Tour

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2005, 04:47:35 PM »

Within You Without Yoy
She's leaving Home

With a little help

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #367 on: October 12, 2005, 09:55:56 PM »

I've had some trouble tonight, because for the first time, we have a Beatles song that is too large a file for the free Geocities site. Rather than upgrade and pay, I've searched for free webspacing that supports MP3 files that are larger than Geocities allows. I finally found one. The download is working for me, but I'd appreciate it if everyone would let me know if they have any trouble downloading George's "It's All Too Much" this round. If it's working well for you, I at least know I won't have any trouble putting up "Hey Jude" later in the game.  The site is called "Ripway", and so far, it seems to be a great site. I just hope it works for everyone. Maybe it'll even work better than Geocities. So..... let me know.  :)

EDIT: 
Unfortunately, the Ripway site went down for a 24 hour period, so I converted the file to a Real Music (RM) file, and was able to upload it to Geocities. I've edited the link in the post below, and hopefully that will work now for everyone.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:42:49 AM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2005, 10:02:10 PM »

That ends Round 27. This time we lose "Within You Without You" and "She's Leaving Home".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND TWENTY-EIGHT

This round, we continue with songs from the Magical Mystery Tour album ("Baby You're a Rich Man", and "All You Need Is Love"), two songs from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack, released on January 17, 1969 ("All Together Now" and "It's All Too Much"),

(Original release including George Martin instrumentals)                         (1999 Re-issue, without instrumentals, nine tracks
                                                                                                                          from various Beatles albums added on)

and the "B" side to the "Let It Be" single, "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)",

(All the A- and B-side Beatles singles which aren't on any of their albums are included on the "Past Masters" CDs, either Vol. 1 or Vol. 2.)

Here's what it says about "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" in the CD booklet for Past Masters Volume Two.

A bizarre recording, issued on 6, March 1970 as the B-side of "Let It Be" but which already spanned 34 months. It was recorded, without vocals, in five separate parts at Abbey Road on 17 May, 7 June and 8 June 1967 and was then compiled into one all encompassing master take on 9 June 1967. It then sat on a shelf until 30 April 1969, when John and Paul added vocals and, aided by their assistant Mal Evans, sound effects. By this time the song lasted more than six minutes though despite making three different mono remixes it was again left unissued. On 26 November 1969 John Lennon edited down the best mix to four minutes for release as a single by the Plastic Ono Band. That single never appeared and then, a little over three months later, the song finally cropped up as this Beatles B-side. A curious burlesque comedy number, conceived by John, it also features Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones playing saxophone. (His contribution was taped on 8 June 1967.)

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Baby You're a Rich Man" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
2.  "All Together Now" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon, Harrison and Starr
3.  "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon and McCartney
4.   "It's All Too Much" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison
5.   "All You Need Is Love" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:41:12 AM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #369 on: October 12, 2005, 10:04:06 PM »

My votes this round:

1) All Together Now
2) You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

3) Baby You're A Rich Man

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #370 on: October 12, 2005, 11:12:10 PM »

1- All Together Now
2- Baby You're A Rich Man
3- You Know My Name (Look Up My Number) I like this track,it always gives me a laugh.(Let's hear it for Dennis)

I couldn't access the ripway site.Not that I need to,it says user account exceeded bandwith.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #371 on: October 12, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »

I found this funny quote tonight from Paul regarding the "Paul Is Dead" controversy:

"I am alive and well and unconcerned about the rumors of my death. But if I were dead, I would be the last to know."  - 1969
(From Steve's Beatles Site)[/url])

[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2005, 02:59:56 AM »

1- All Together Now
2- Baby You're A Rich Man
3- You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:45 AM »

1 It's All Too Much
2 You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
3 Baby You're a Rich Man

Matt, you could always convert "It's All Too Much" to a high quality RA file, couldn't you?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #374 on: October 13, 2005, 05:18:17 AM »

Bandwidth exceeded when I tried to listen to It's All Too Much.   However I wont be voting that one off as I know it and I like it.

1   You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
2   Baby You're A Rich Man

3   All Together Now

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2005, 05:48:17 AM »

Matt, you could always convert "It's All Too Much" to a high quality RA file, couldn't you?

I think I've had some success converting it to a RM file (I don't know how to convert to RA).  I was able to upload it to Geocities now, and this should work for everyone. I've edited the link in the original post. Thanks, Doug.  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:54:27 AM by Matt » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #376 on: October 13, 2005, 05:51:19 AM »

If anyone has trouble opening that file, try this one:

It's All Too Much

The above one doesn't work for me but the edited one did work for me.  So I got to enjoy it after all.   Thanks Matt. O0
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #377 on: October 13, 2005, 05:52:44 AM »

Cool. Glad it's working.  :)

(I've edited my posts and removed all the links that weren't working to cut down on the confusion for this round.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 05:58:36 AM by Matt » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #378 on: October 13, 2005, 06:02:29 AM »

Great Matt,   That is brilliant.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #379 on: October 13, 2005, 08:31:45 AM »

1   All Together Now
2   You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)

3   Baby Your A Rich Man  (Quite like this one, havn't heard it in years)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T