News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 197966 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2180 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »

The Beatles film, Eight Days A Week has won a Grammy for best music film.

https://www.grammy.com/nominees

It's number 84 on the list.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2181 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »

Watched Eight Days A Week tonight and loved it.. I haven't listened to much Beatles recently and this brought it all back..
The live footage sounded fantastic. That little band really could cut it live.. I just wish I'd gotten the chance to see it on the big screen..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2182 on: April 06, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »

This June marks the 50th anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club and in May they are releasing a super deluxe version, which will include new stereo mixes and a bunch of early takes. For the whole thing it will be pricey and considering I bought the Beatles stereo album box set (minus Let It Be, as I prefer the Naked version) and recently bought the mono box set, I'm a little hesitant to splurge. And funny enough, I bought the whole mono box set just to have Sgt. Pepper, as it was otherwise impossible to buy individual albums in mono.

Now I am interested in the new stereo mixes. As great, and superior, the mono version sounds, Sgt. Pepper is a psychedelic album, and it should have some trippy stereo mixes, so perhaps these new mixes will provide the best of both worlds.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-beatles-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-20170405-story.html

Perhaps the most tantalizing element for Beatles aficionados is the word that Giles Martin and Okell created the new stereo mix with direct transfers from the original four-track tapes, rather than the two-track master that has been the basis of all previous stereo versions of “Sgt. Pepper” for the last 50 years.

Why so much attention to a new stereo version of an album that has been available in stereo for five decades?

In 1967, George Martin and the Beatles spent the vast majority of their time focused on the monaural mix, which was still the dominant playback format in England at that time. The group members by and large were not even present during mixing of the stereo version of the album.

Hence the new anniversary edition is an attempt to create a mix closer to what the world might have heard if the Beatles and George Martin had cared about stereo at that point.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2183 on: April 08, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »

I know Im probably alone in this but Pepper is probably my least favourite Beatles album, after Beatles For Sale..
I know theres some great songs on it.. (tho I'd have prefered it if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had appeared on it as originally planned) but it dated pretty fast for me whereas their  other albums havnt..

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2184 on: April 13, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »

I know Im probably alone in this but Pepper is probably my least favourite Beatles album, after Beatles For Sale..
I know theres some great songs on it.. (tho I'd have prefered it if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields had appeared on it as originally planned) but it dated pretty fast for me whereas their  other albums havnt..

Yes, you are alone on that  ;) ;D My husband is going to buy the mega deluxe version even though it's something crazy like £140 (or did I make that up)?!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2185 on: April 19, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »

Sgt. Pepper is a great album.  I remember my brother introducing it to me years ago.  I instantly loved every song except for Within Without You.  I’d skip over that one repeatedly.  Still not a fan of that tune but when I listen to the album these days I just let it play through.  Since the deluxe edition will most likely be featured on Spotify I won’t bother purchasing the cd but I can understand it being a must for fans.  If it weren’t for Spotify I’d still be purchasing the McCartney reissues, of which Flowers In The Dirt was the most recent and a favorite.  I wish they’d get around to re-releasing Let It Be on Blu-ray already.  I’m sure there’s a lot of extras that can be included.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2186 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »

How about a Beatles top five songs... It'd be difficult to pin it down to only 5. Ten  would be tough, but let's be strict about this.. I'd be interested to see what we come up with..
I'm gonna start compiling my list..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:03:02 PM by Gant » Logged

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2187 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »

Ok, off the top of my head and in no particular order.... My top 5 plus one bonus

I Am The Walrus
Something
Hey Jude
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life

Bonus
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:16:00 PM by Gant » Logged

B.C.
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2188 on: April 21, 2017, 04:47:56 AM »

Great idea Gant and I agree, not easy.  Here it goes...

The Ballad Of John And Yoko
Good Day Sunshine
Yesterday
Get Back
Here Comes The Sun
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2189 on: April 21, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »

Ok, off the top of my head and in no particular order.... My top 5 plus one bonus

I Am The Walrus
Something
Hey Jude
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life

Bonus

So so so close to mine.  Really tough. Let me see...

A Day In The Life
Old Brown Shoe
I Am the Walrus
Helter Skelter

Surprised Paul got one in there -- I just love Helter Skelter. :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2190 on: April 21, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »

Bonus, Come Together.  8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2191 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »

Well, I put on the White Album, and although not in the Top 5 or bonus, I have huge appreciation for Savoy Truffle.
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2192 on: April 21, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »

Top Five Songs!
If I Fell
I'm Only Sleeping
All My Loving
In My Life
If I Needed Someone (My all time favorite Beatle song)

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2193 on: April 21, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »

Oh no !!!!

How could I have left out shelter Skelter and If I Fell...

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2194 on: April 26, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »

Oh no !!!!

How could I have left out shelter Skelter and If I Fell...
The harmonies in If I Fell are absolutely beautiful.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2195 on: April 26, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »

Yeah, it's a lovely song... I also really like I'll Follow the Sun

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2196 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

Top 10, hmm...  Maybe something like this, I guess:

1 A Day in the Life
2 I Am the Walrus
3 Norwegian Wood
4 Across the Universe
5 Dear Prudence
6 Two of Us
7 Ticket To Ride
8 Happiness Is a Warm Gun
9 Revolution (LP version)
10 Think For Yourself

A little light on Paul songs, but what can I say?  It's not like I don't love a lot of his songs, just not as much as John's.  (And, yes, this must be withdrawal kicking in. :))

This was my top 10 eleven years ago and it looks good, but after the first two spots, there's a lot of interchangeability. If you follow my quoted post, you'll see a few spots ahead of it everyone giving their top songs.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2197 on: April 27, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »

Ever since we had the discussion about Ringo's drumming, I've considered doing a top 10 Ringo drum tracks. I think it would go like this:

10. Come Together
9. I Me Mine
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
7. Yer Blues
6. Ticket to Ride
5. Something
4. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
3. She Said She Said
2. A Day in the Life
1. Rain

honorable mention: Octopus's Garden

My reasoning:
What I love about Come Together is that of all the covers I've heard, I've never heard anyone with the right touch and right timing. I just love everything about I Me Mine, the sound of the guitars, George's singing, and Ringo's drumming. Not really one of his very best, but it's a personal favorite. The drumming on Strawberry Fields Forever is just so awesome and so underrated.

The drums on Yer Blues are just awesome. C'mon. Ticket to Ride showcases how Ringo could come up with these unique drum patterns, and then stylistically just play it differently than anyone else. Something is pretty simple and then all of a sudden it goes into this wild middle eight segment. I Want You is a tour de force on every level, and Ringo's amazing drumming is there all the way. She Said She Said is Ringo being busy at a time when he was loosening up from his earlier days. There's always been something about the drums on A Day in the Life I've really loved, even when I was a kid, and as an adult I'm even more impressed with what he did in that song. And of course Rain is #1. It is Ringo at his finest, and I understand Ringo agrees with that.

As an honorable mention I included Octopus's Garden, because it shows how quirky and clever he could be and so effortlessly. The drums reminds me of kids skipping down the sidewalk. A second honorable mention would be Hey Bulldog, but I could go on and on with honorable mentions.

Some videos:
A Day in the Life isolated drums and bass

Ringo talking about Ticket to Ride and Come Together

Strawberry Fields Forever isolated drums

I Me Mine isolated drums

Something isolated drums

Rain drum cover

I Want You (drums only cover)

Yer Blues (drums only cover)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:04:22 PM by Doug » Logged

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2198 on: April 27, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »

Anyone interested in top 10's for individual Beatles, or whatever other Beatles topic one could think of. Top 10 rockers, top 10 psychedelic songs, etc...

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2199 on: April 29, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »

I enjoyed listening to Doug's video links -- Ringo is definitely underrated. I guess that's what happens when you're in a band with Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and even George Harrison -- someone's gotta be the bottom of the totem pole, and that happens to be Ringo most of the time. I'll be interested in hearing from Gant on this one. :)
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T