News: See Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, in theaters December 13!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 278332 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2260 on: January 30, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2261 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »

Surprisingly, I've managed to avoid watching any Peter Jackson film -- ever.  I know he's been very successful, but I can't give any opinion on how I feel he'd do with the project. All that being said, I'm all for it and seeing new Let It Be footage, especially if it would come across as a more happier end of the band. The footage is the last we see of the Beatles as a band working together. I have Let It Be, but having seen it, it's not something I have watched again. What stands out to me is how persistent and bossy McCartney became, how agitated George was for never seeming to play the songs the way Paul wanted them played, how John had pretty much checked out already and had moved on with Yoko, and Ringo was growing tired of being the buffer beween the more forceful personalities in the band.

From the article:

Sure, there's moments of drama - but none of the discord this project has long been associated with.

"Watching John, Paul, George, and Ringo work together, creating now-classic songs from scratch, is not only fascinating - it's funny, uplifting and surprisingly intimate.

It would be nice to focus on these things this time around.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2262 on: February 12, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »

Yesterday

This new film looks like fun.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2263 on: April 11, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »

I just got back from a three day trip to Liverpool where I managed to cram in all the Beatle tours etc plus a great night out at the Cavern Club... Highly recommended, it's a beautiful city too with the friendliest people.. And some great bars..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2264 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:28 PM »

I'll bet Matt would love to have joined you on that one, Gant! 8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2265 on: April 12, 2019, 08:49:29 PM »

Absolutely. I hope to get there one of these days!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2266 on: April 14, 2019, 12:16:55 PM »

It's well good Matt, a fantastic city full of cool stuff as well as all the Beatles trips.. Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were amazing... And three was a fantastic John and Yoko exhibition at the Museum of Liverpool...

I'd definitely like to return someday...

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2267 on: July 07, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »

I gotta say.. This new Richard Curtis/Danny Boyle film "Yesterday" sounds bloody awful...

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2268 on: July 07, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »

I gotta say.. This new Richard Curtis/Danny Boyle film "Yesterday" sounds bloody awful...

I liked the trailer but haven't had a chance to see the film yet.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2269 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:03 PM »

This was quite good. You have the usual story of boy/girl have always been friends but never taken it further than just that and then you throw in this original idea of the guy having an accident when the power goes out all over the world for 12 seconds one night. Next thing you know nobody remembers the Beatles.

Just a feel good rom-com/date night film. Throw in a good soundtrack and it's a fun couple of hours.

4/5.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2270 on: August 02, 2019, 08:51:49 PM »

I liked it - just the premise of what the world would be like without the Beatles was interesting to explore.  I particularly liked the surprising "confrontation" scene with the man and woman who didn't forget about the Beatles.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2271 on: August 04, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »

I did finally get to see Paul McCartney live on June 29th and it was a great concert. Two hours and forty minutes, with about half his set Beatles songs and a good part of the other half consisting of his well-known Wings stuff. My favorite songs were probably his version of Something, I've Got a Feeling (with someone else singing John's parts), and of course Helter Skelter. The night before when he played Steven Tyler joined him for Helter Skelter, but I'm okay missing that. I'm just glad I got to see at least one of the Beatles while I could.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2272 on: August 04, 2019, 10:59:25 PM »

I did finally get to see Paul McCartney live on June 29th and it was a great concert. Two hours and forty minutes, with about half his set Beatles songs and a good part of the other half consisting of his well-known Wings stuff. My favorite songs were probably his version of Something, I've Got a Feeling (with someone else singing John's parts), and of course Helter Skelter. The night before when he played Steven Tyler joined him for Helter Skelter, but I'm okay missing that. I'm just glad I got to see at least one of the Beatles while I could.

How were Paul's vocals on Helter Skelter?  :o
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2273 on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »

How were Paul's vocals on Helter Skelter?  :o

I thought his voice sounded good for the whole concert. Better than I had expected. Obviously within the limits of a 70-something year old man, but I was pleased. Here's video from that night, which does cut off a little early. (I was sitting on the opposite side, upper right area.) There's a few videos available from the night before with Steven Tyler.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yme_wD2kQqw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yme_wD2kQqw</a>

Helter Skelter starts about about 1:20
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:23:27 PM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2274 on: August 05, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »

I thought his voice sounded good for the whole concert. Better than I had expected. Obviously within the limits of a 70-something year old man, but I was pleased.

I can only imagine the electricity in that arena during this song. It's always been my favorite of his. Lucky you got to the show this night so you got to hear Paul sing it.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2275 on: August 05, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »

I've always really liked Paul's solo hit "Take it Away"
It was a hit at a special time I my life, I know it's not overly popular and I doubt he's ever included it in his live set...

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2276 on: August 09, 2019, 12:01:30 AM »

We knew this was coming and now it's official, the super deluxe ultimate whatever box set of Abbey Road is coming out soon, like next month I believe, with lots of extras and a brand new mix and remastering. I, however, will not be getting it, because I'm still annoyed at what Giles Martin did to the White Album, which sounds compressed with way too much bass. No thank you. The thing is the remastered version of Abbey Road sounds fantastic and the album was intended only ever to be mixed in stereo, unlike all their previous albums where the mono mix was the primary mix they put all their effort into and the stereo mix almost an afterthought. It doesn't need this treatment, even if Giles Martin could be trusted to do it right, and they've released Something, and of course it sounds, even on my computer speakers, way too bassy. (That's just my opinion, of course.)

I actually just bought Abbey Road on vinyl a couple months ago, as I'd finally gotten that record player I've been meaning to get for a while, and Abbey Road seemed like a good one to get on vinyl.

I am, though, still really looking forward to next year when they do Let It Be, which I think will actually benefit from a modern treatment and remix, and the extras on that should be amazing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Oru7dYjEem0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Oru7dYjEem0</a>

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2277 on: August 15, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »

This may have been mentioned years ago but I don't remember ever hearing about it until I saw a facebook post this week where it said, that at the 2 minute and 58 seconds mark of Hey Jude, Paul McCartney says, "[email protected]#king Hell". Of course it has been toned down but if you crank up the stereo and right at that moment you can hear it.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2278 on: August 28, 2019, 03:49:22 AM »

This may have been mentioned years ago but I don't remember ever hearing about it until I saw a facebook post this week where it said, that at the 2 minute and 58 seconds mark of Hey Jude, Paul McCartney says, "[email protected]#king Hell". Of course it has been toned down but if you crank up the stereo and right at that moment you can hear it.

I've never listened for it, but it's actually John who says it after messing up. This video has a funny moment as John forgot to sing the backing vocals and he and Paul exchange looks at about 2:47 mark, with a shrug from John as if to say, "Oops I missed it." Later on Paul laughs at the 3:35 mark because presumably John did sing it right that time. (At least that's what I understand is going on there.)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/A_MjCqQoLLA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/A_MjCqQoLLA</a>

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2279 on: August 28, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »

I'm hearing something weird with the vocals on this. It sounds like someone is singing with Paul through the actual verses, but it's not any of the Beatles. But it's too perfect, so either Paul is singing with a recorded version, or we're able to hear him through the mic and through the stage monitor at the same time. It's really noticeable at 1:35 ("The minute you let her under your skin") and then again "And anytime you feel the pain", and again 'you're waiting for someone to perform with" and through the end of the verse.  They show the other Beatles who aren't singing when you can hear the second vocal. So who is singing with Paul?  :D  I think it's just the way it was recorded picking up his vocals twice.

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T