News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 340610 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2005, 01:50:47 AM »

I wish all the guests that I see viewing this thread would join the board and start playing.I'd hate to see Matt go to all this trouble for only a handful of us regulars.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2005, 04:32:31 AM »

:)  1- Roll over Beethoven
        2- Please Mr Postman

3- Devil in her heart

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2005, 05:05:22 AM »

1) "Devil In Her Heart"
2) "Till There Was You"
3) "Please Mister Postman"

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2005, 07:29:28 AM »

I wish all the guests that I see viewing this thread would join the board and start playing.I'd hate to see Matt go to all this trouble for only a handful of us regulars.

True tgy, there are guests who could join us.  It seems to be the same few who join in all these briliant games.  It isn't as if it is difficult to become a member and you get such a lot from the board. :)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2005, 10:46:41 AM »

1 Till There Was You
2 Devil In Her Heart
3 Please Mr Postman

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »

1. Till There Was You
2. Please Mr Postman
3. Devil In Her Heart

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2005, 06:47:22 PM »

Thanks, tgy. I'm enjoying running the game, even though it is a bit of work. We had 9 members play one round, and I was thrilled with that. Really, I didn't expect we'd have anything like the participation we had in the "Eastwood Film Survivor" game. I'm happy if we can get anywhere from 8-10 players per round. So, even if it's just a "handful of us regulars", and we're all enjoying ourselves, I'm happy to do it.

It's good to see so MANY of our regulars playing. And to any regulars who haven't joined in, you can always jump in for a round whenever you want. Don't feel like you shouldn't start playing because you know you won't have the time everyday.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2005, 08:18:25 PM »

That was another close round, where I had to use the "point system" and the third choice for tie-breaking. This round we lose "Till There Was You" (Sorry Gant) and "Devil In Her Heart". The breakdown results:  "Till There Was You" - 16 points, "Devil In Her Heart" - 14 points. "Please Mr. Postman" - 12 points.

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND SEVEN

We're still listening to songs from The Beatles second album, "With The Beatles". This round includes the first time a Harrison composition would be included on a Beatles album: "Don't Bother Me".

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "All My Loving" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
2.  "All I've Got To Do" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
3.   "Not A Second Time" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
4.   "Hold Me Tight" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
5.   "Don't Bother Me" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

NOTE:  You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »

This is another easy round for me.

1) "Not A Second Time"
2) "All I've Got To Do"
3) "Hold Me Tight" (Hope we don't need to use the third choice this round. I love this song.)

McCartney toured here in the States a few years ago, and at the last minute, I decided to go. Although I used to be an avid concert goer through the 70s and 80s, by 2002 I hadn't been to a concert in about TEN YEARS. But, it was Paul, and I had never seen a Beatle in concert. I wasn't all THAT excited about going, though. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but... I harbored quite a bit of resentment toward Paul for the falling out between him and John, and with the rest of the band. Paul was always my third favorite Beatle, above only Ringo. Although he gave us some of the GREATEST songs of all time ("Hey Jude", "Let It Be", etc.) he was the only Beatle that wrote/performed songs that I actively disliked ("Oh blah dee, blah dah" as George would call one of them). ANYway... to make a long story short, I'm at the concert, and enjoying myself a lot. The band sounded great, and Paul sounded as good as ever. But then...  "Close your eyes... and I'll kiss you. Tomorrow... I'll miss you. Remember, I'll always be true. And then while I'm away, I'll write home everyday... and I'll send all my loving to you." On the screen behind him they flashed images of the Beatles from the "Beatlemania" days of 1963 and 1964. And ... suddenly, I felt like I was at a Beatles concert! After LOVING this band for almost 30 years, I was in the same room with Paul McCartney. And (I'm somewhat ashamed to admit) that I  :'( from the overwhelming emotions of that moment. It was magic from that point on. Later in the concert, he performed "Here Today" for John, and "Something" for George. I realized that Paul had put aside his bad feelings for them, and I, too, put aside any bad feelings I harbored toward Paul. As he himself said, "And in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Now, "All My Loving" is one of my favorite McCartney songs. May it live long into our Beatles Song Survivor game!  O0
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2005, 11:02:55 PM »

1- All I've Got To Do
2- Not A Second Time
3- Hold Me Tight ( agree with Matt on this one )

Great story Matt,I always regret not going to see McCartney when he toured here in 1993. :-[

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2005, 12:06:15 AM »

:) 1) All my loving
      2) Don't bother me

3) Hold me tight

Hello Matt !
Your game is simply ... wonderful !
When I come back from leading children to school, the first thing I do now is : listen to the Beatles'songs you've chosen, then vote ! And that's a nice moment !  :)

The Mc Cartney concert you're talking about ...  8) O0
How lucky you are !

I change my vote now : PLEASE DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO MY FIRST VOTE (watch my futur post ! :-\)

1 - Not a second time
2- All I've got to do
3- Don't bother me . 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 04:12:27 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2005, 12:17:30 AM »

1. All I've Got To Do
2. Not a Second Time
3. Hold Me Tight

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2005, 03:55:23 AM »

Hello Matt !
Your game is simply ... wonderful !
When I come back from leading children to school, the first thing I do now is : listen to the Beatles'songs you've chosen, then vote ! And that's a nice moment !  :)

Hi Sylvie! Well, I'm glad to have you playing along with us.

I want to make sure that you're not playing the game "backwards" though. This isn't uncommon... we had it happen in the Eastwood Film Survivor game too. What we're all doing is voting on the songs to be eliminated from the game, in the order you like them LEAST. So, the first choice you pick will be the song that you feel is the weakest, or the least good of the batch. I'm pretty sure you don't think "All My Loving" is the worst song in this round, and since you've added a smiley next to that choice, I'm almost certain of that. So... if that's the case, just go back and edit your choices from this round, and remember to keep voting for the songs you want tossed from the game, and the three songs which receive the least votes will reappear later in the game when they go up against the other rounds' surviving songs, until only ONE song is left in the very end.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2005, 04:06:05 AM »

:( :-\ :( :-\
Matt : I fear you're right ! That's exactly what I did !

I'm gonna change my today vote right now !
Sorry for yesterday, the result is wrong, I'm ashamed of this misunderstanding ...  :'(

2007 Movie journal
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2005, 04:16:49 AM »

Don't worry about it, Sylvie. Yesterday it wasn't as obvious to me that you were playing it "backwards". It's completely understandable that you'd vote for the "best" songs instead. That's the way things are usually done, but "Survivor" games are played the other way.

Thanks for editing for this round. And, I look forward to seeing your choices through the rest of the game. This is a lot of fun for me.  :)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2005, 04:53:06 AM »

1 Hold Me Tight
2 Not a Second Time
3 All I've Got to Do

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2005, 05:22:29 AM »

Great concert story Matt.. he's touring again soon isn't he. I'm gonna try go next time.

My votes this time are

1   Not A Second Time
2   Don't Bother Me
3   Hold me Tight

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2005, 05:25:02 AM »

Agree with Matt and tgy

1- All I've Got To Do
2- Not A Second Time
3- Hold Me Tight

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2005, 05:53:44 AM »

i don't like the beatles thats why i can't be bothered not that i don't like sir paul mccartney and some of john lennons songs - but all of them together nah

yeh some individual songs but not 24 complete albums and the rest, i think it will end in a years time  ;D

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:09:24 AM by vik » Logged

england -  its flag the St George flag
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2005, 06:10:12 AM »

Hold Me Tight
2   Not A Second Time
3   All I've Got to do

Great story Matt on the McCartney Concert.    I did see them when they were all together and I have seen Paul in the UK once since.    Together or apart the music they created is classic.  How many popular groups of the 1960's and onwards have had Philharmonic Orchestras play their music? 

i don't like the beatles thats why i can't be bothered not that i don't like sir paul mccartney and some of john lennons songs - but all of them together nah

vik what was the point of above comment?   Just don't play if it isn't to your liking. >:(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T