News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339890 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2005, 08:30:23 AM »

Lin.. you saw The Beatles live.. Wow. Where? When ?

Vik.. heres a chance to educate yourself.. ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
vik
Member Extraordinaire

flags of our fathers

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2005, 09:16:03 AM »

about what gant?  :D

the fact that someone made a comment that didn't want to play a beatles survivor game wow

england -  its flag the St George flag
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »

In Australia.  Once at the airport when they arrived but minus Ringo.  ( I don't know why) and in a concert June 1964 at The Melbourne Festival Hall.   Here is the place where I confess to being older than I put on my profile.   I thought that I would be too old to join the site so took a good few years off.   To join in this thread I must admit to being in my 50's.   Now I've said it.    I also saw them in The Cavern Club in Liverpool with my cousin when on  a visit.   Gerry and the Pacemakers were also on the bill.       I have since seen Paul in Liverpool when he performed the Liverpool Oratorio.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »

Amazing...That is sooo cool.... I've seen footage from the Australian visit, massive crowds. I think Ringo had tonsilitus and joined the tour later. And at The Cavern....I bet that was special.

So Lin, the big question...Were they any good...?

little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »

1 - Not a second time
2- All I've got to do

tie break don't bother me

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2005, 04:56:04 PM »

I think Ringo had tonsilitus and joined the tour later.

That's what I was thinking too. The only time that I know of that Ringo missed any of the tour dates was when he had tonsillitis.

Lin, you are SO lucky to have seen the Beatles in concert. And more than once! And at the Cavern Club, too! Wow! Any details you can give on this would be very exciting reading. Tell us not only about the concert, but what it was like to see them live. Did you look like any of these girls?

I'd love to hear anything you want to share with us about going to those concerts. 

In the A Hard Day's Night DVD special features, one of the crew members said he had dental work done shortly before filming the concert sequence of A Hard Day's Night, and the screaming was so loud, that the vibrations from it loosened his dental work, and he had to go back to the dentist to get fixed up again. Pretty amazing, and hard to imagine that kind of noise.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 05:13:00 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2005, 05:33:36 PM »

i think it will end in a years time  ;D

Anyone wanna lay odds on how many pages this thread goes before we're done? I'm thinking well over 100.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2005, 08:19:16 PM »

I promised Matt I'd play this round, so I'm off to listen to the songs ... and then I'll vote!  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2005, 08:19:30 PM »

That's the end of Round 7. Say goodbye to "Not A Second Time" and "All I've Got To Do".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND EIGHT

The first two songs this round ("Little Child" and "I Wanna Be Your Man") are the last we'll hear from The Beatles second album, "With The Beatles". Also included this round are the songs from their hit single "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and the B-side, "This Boy". The notes for "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in the "Past Masters, Vol. 1" CD booklet read:

The fifth single, which sold a million copies before release in Britain, and cracked wide open the US chart for other Beatles records and other British groups to follow. The group's first four-track recording, begun and completed in 17 takes on 17 October 1963 and released on 29 November.

Finally, we have a bit of a rarity... The Beatles singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in German. This "A" side was recorded for the West German market in January, 1964, with the German version of "She Loves You" ("Sie Liebt Dich") on the B-side. For "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand", they would use the basic instrumental track from "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and re-record the vocals and handclaps. We'll hear "Sie Liebt Dich" next round.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Little Child" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
2.  "I Wanna Be Your Man" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Starr, with Lennon and McCartney
3.   "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
4.   "This Boy (Ringo's Theme)" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
5.   "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

NOTE:  You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2005, 08:35:57 PM »

I promised Matt I'd play this round, so I'm off to listen to the songs ... and then I'll vote!  ;)

It was a bet... that the Yankees would win tonight's game. I'm the optimist, and KC is the pessimist. Optimism has been panning out lately, as the Yanks have won 8 of their last 10 games, and are now IN FIRST PLACE!  O0 Good thing she bet for a round of Beatles Song Survivor instead of cold, hard cash.

But, back to the Beatles!

I think "This Boy" is absolutely perfect. The three-part harmony from John, Paul and George is absolutely gorgeous, and John's searing vocal during the song's break gives it just the edge the song needs to avoid being just another ballad. Absolutely beautiful tune, and one of my favorite Beatles songs.

My choices this round:

1) Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand
2) Little Child
3) God, don't make me do this......

I mean.......

Oh boy.......

"I Want To Hold Your Hand".

I know......... it doesn't deserve to go. But, I really love "I Wanna Be Your Man". It rocks.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »

I have a feeling no one is going to agree with me this round.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2005, 08:51:50 PM »

Oh, komm, doch. Komm zu mir.
Du nimmst mir den Verstand.
Komm, gib mir deine Hand.

Oh, du bist so schön.
Schön wie ein Diamant.
Ich will mit dir gehen.

In deinen Armen bin ich glücklich und froh.
Das war noch nie bei einer anderen
Einmal so.
Einmal so.
Einmal so.

Du nimmst mir den Verstand.

In deinen Armen bin ich glücklich und froh.
Das war noch nie bei einer anderen
Einmal so.
Einmal so.
Einmal so.

Oh, du bist so schön.
Schön wie ein Diamant.
Ich will mit dir gehen.
Komm, gib mir deine Ha-a-a-a-a-a-and.

This is hard, Matt ... I hate to vote something as wonderful as the above off the island, but I guess it has to go, as the boys' German really isn't up to the task of doing those lyrics justice!

So ...
1) "Komm, gib mir deine Hand"
2) "I wanna be your man"
3) "This boy (Ringo's theme)"

I made that decision before I saw Matt's vote! I'm voting off two of his favorites!   :o

It's a snap judgment, Matt ... I might feel differently if I'd heard 'em all hundreds of times. I thought "Little child" was kind of catchy, and I know "I want to hold your hand" is so damb famous, I didn't DARE vote that one off!

By the way ... the Yankees have actually won NINE of their last ten now, not eight. ;)

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2005, 08:55:50 PM »

By the way ... the Yankees have actually won NINE of their last ten now, not eight. ;)

Wow! Even better than I thought.

I feel like crawing under my desk for voting off one of the band's greatest and biggest hits in the first run-through the songs. I really do love "I Want To Hold Your Hand", so don't anyone stake out my house or anything for that vote.

"Little Child" is also a great one--John's harmonica playing is something that always seems to crank up the coolness factor of any song he plays it on.

Lots of great songs this round. If it's this tough already, just imagine how hard things will be a few months from now.

Thanks for playing, KC. It was fun to see your choices.  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2005, 10:41:50 PM »

So Lin, the big question...Were they any good...?

Yes Gant they were fantastic.      At the Cavern the roof was very low and the walls and curved roof all bricks (It was a cellar in a building in Mathew Street Liverpool)  so the sound there was different from the concert in Melbourne.   Either way they were brilliant.    We did have trouble hearing them at the concert for all the screeming girls.   I was not one I just sat there transfixed on John who I thought the best looking of the 4.     :P

Editied for my bad memory the street is Mathew Street off Stanley Street.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:00:55 AM by Lin. » Logged
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2005, 10:56:47 PM »

1    Komm, gib mir deine Hand
2    Little CHild
3    I Want to hold your Hand

I just got in from work Matt, it is 7.00 am and I have to get to bed.   I will tell you about the Cavern etc. later today.   Hope you will all forgive my fib about my age.   Just so you know I took 10 years off.    I guess I should update my profile. :-[

OK I have changed it.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2005, 11:10:25 PM »

Hardest round so far.

1- Komm,Gib Mir Deine Hand
2- Little Child
3- I Wanna Be Your Man.

I love the song This Boy for the same reasons Matt gave and I really like the version they put on the anthology CD where the lads can't stop laughing through the song.

Hey Lin, do you remember when The Beatles came to Australia and it was pouring with rain and they were on the back of a truck at the airport getting soaked when the wind blew one of the boy's umbrella away.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:33:08 PM by tgy » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »

Easier round for me.. I agree with you Matt. This Boy is almost perfect...

I'm goin' for.

1   Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
2   Little Child
3   I wanna hold your Hand  (gotta be honest, never    really liked this one  :o )

Lin..it must have been a fantastic experience..and getting to see them in both settings. The big concert and on their home turf. Unbeatable.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:12:38 AM by Gant » Logged

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2005, 12:37:36 AM »

1- Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
2-I wanna be your man
3- This boy.

Lin, what fantastic memories ! Thanks for sharing them with us ! ;) :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2005, 01:39:10 AM »

1. Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
2. This Boy
3. Little Child

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2005, 04:53:47 AM »

I just got in from work Matt, it is 7.00 am and I have to get to bed.   I will tell you about the Cavern etc. later today.   Hope you will all forgive my fib about my age.   Just so you know I took 10 years off.    I guess I should update my profile. :-[

OK I have changed it.

It's okay, Lin. I'm 40, and in terms of the regulars who have been here for years, I'm guessing that's right about on target for the mean age. That's unusual for an internet message board, so I can understand why you might have been concerned, at first. But, hell, you saw the Beatles live... and I sure am glad you 'fessed up so you could tell us about it.

I have a feeling no one is going to agree with me this round.

Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that I was wrong on this one.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T